June 13, 201214 yr No lie sir. Took her 28 years to finish her undergraduate last year as she raised four kids. Thumbs up then
June 13, 201214 yr It was really nice in there Monday night. Great breeze. And once I saw the highlights on TV, it did look better. But why not take it a step further? I think we should use it to our advantage. I bet if someone checked, with the roof open there are less dingers. So on nice evenings and/or when teams come in that are sluggers, open it. Home field advantage for a team that was built on pitching, speed, and defense. Can't see how it would be any different than growing our IF grass a little longer. But day games???? Can't even believe anyone would be for that. Wasn't that one of the excuses for not going to the games at Joe Robbie? We're already having an attendance problem. Check Sunday's Palm Beach Post for proof of that.
June 13, 201214 yr It was really nice in there Monday night. Great breeze. And once I saw the highlights on TV, it did look better. But why not take it a step further? I think we should use it to our advantage. I bet if someone checked, with the roof open there are less dingers. So on nice evenings and/or when teams come in that are sluggers, open it. Home field advantage for a team that was built on pitching, speed, and defense. Can't see how it would be any different than growing our IF grass a little longer. But day games???? Can't even believe anyone would be for that. Wasn't that one of the excuses for not going to the games at Joe Robbie? We're already having an attendance problem. Check Sunday's Palm Beach Post for proof of that. At this point, I dont consider it an attendance problem since we were getting around 30.000 before the Nba Playoffs. The Heat are taking alot of the Fanbase away at this point every other night
June 13, 201214 yr No lie sir. Took her 28 years to finish her undergraduate last year as she raised four kids. That's amazing. It takes a lot of commitment to stick through college while raising 4 kids. I don't think I could ever do that. We had our son when I was in my last year at the University, and I almost had a breakdown from the stress of helping raise a child while being a full time student. I wish your mother the best as she pursues her Masters degree.
June 13, 201214 yr Not to mention, on those weekend games, we can welcome those away teams with what they hate most about playing us. The unbearable heat. Away teams hate the unbearable heat. You know who else hates it? Home players. And who else? Fans. I'm aware of that. The idea would be that we'd eventually get used to it, and it'd just become a part of playing for a Miami team. As for the fans, come on, if you live in Miami, and you've gone to Dolphins and Marlins games in the past, you should be trained for this. BTW, just came home to catch the start of the game, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see they opened the roof again! Slump buster! The roof isn't only there to protect against rain. It's to provide a more comfortable atmosphere for fans and players. Having it closed on unbearably hot afternoons or nights is part of the appeal of a dome. Sure, we can have it open on warm but pleasant nights. But like I said, on those unbearably hot afternoons, it's got to be closed.
June 14, 201214 yr Not to mention, on those weekend games, we can welcome those away teams with what they hate most about playing us. The unbearable heat. Away teams hate the unbearable heat. You know who else hates it? Home players. And who else? Fans. I'm aware of that. The idea would be that we'd eventually get used to it, and it'd just become a part of playing for a Miami team. As for the fans, come on, if you live in Miami, and you've gone to Dolphins and Marlins games in the past, you should be trained for this. BTW, just came home to catch the start of the game, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see they opened the roof again! Slump buster! I've been to hundreds of Marlins games over the last 5-6 seasons, I know the Miami weather well. It sucks. It's not enjoyable in the least, especially once we get to July. And for the last 19 seasons, The Marlins been doing this. If this was going to help us out, it would have already. We've heard different players who are with the Marlins or were longtime Marlins (the returning Uggla comes to mind) talk about how much nicer it is to play in the AC. It also looks like this particular slumpbuster has failed miserably. It's kinda known that roof open hurts hitting to some effect and hitting has been our biggest problem on our recent skid. It's been pretty nice recently for mid-June; I have no problem with the roof being open in that case. But to open the roof when it's very hot out for some mythical advantage, that's silly. It might even be a bit reckless, considering the massive amount of old men I've seen pass out in the summer heat during a day game (I wish that part was an exaggeration).
June 14, 201214 yr It was really nice in there Monday night. Great breeze. And once I saw the highlights on TV, it did look better. But why not take it a step further? I think we should use it to our advantage. I bet if someone checked, with the roof open there are less dingers. So on nice evenings and/or when teams come in that are sluggers, open it. Home field advantage for a team that was built on pitching, speed, and defense. Can't see how it would be any different than growing our IF grass a little longer. But day games???? Can't even believe anyone would be for that. Wasn't that one of the excuses for not going to the games at Joe Robbie? We're already having an attendance problem. Check Sunday's Palm Beach Post for proof of that. At this point, I dont consider it an attendance problem since we were getting around 30.000 before the Nba Playoffs. The Heat are taking alot of the Fanbase away at this point every other night You should read that article I referenced. It has to do with the first 30 games of new park openings.
June 14, 201214 yr Not to mention, on those weekend games, we can welcome those away teams with what they hate most about playing us. The unbearable heat. Away teams hate the unbearable heat. You know who else hates it? Home players. And who else? Fans. I'm aware of that. The idea would be that we'd eventually get used to it, and it'd just become a part of playing for a Miami team. As for the fans, come on, if you live in Miami, and you've gone to Dolphins and Marlins games in the past, you should be trained for this. BTW, just came home to catch the start of the game, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see they opened the roof again! Slump buster! I've been to hundreds of Marlins games over the last 5-6 seasons, I know the Miami weather well. It sucks. It's not enjoyable in the least, especially once we get to July. And for the last 19 seasons, The Marlins been doing this. If this was going to help us out, it would have already. We've heard different players who are with the Marlins or were longtime Marlins (the returning Uggla comes to mind) talk about how much nicer it is to play in the AC. It also looks like this particular slumpbuster has failed miserably. It's kinda known that roof open hurts hitting to some effect and hitting has been our biggest problem on our recent skid. It's been pretty nice recently for mid-June; I have no problem with the roof being open in that case. But to open the roof when it's very hot out for some mythical advantage, that's silly. It might even be a bit reckless, considering the massive amount of old men I've seen pass out in the summer heat during a day game (I wish that part was an exaggeration). This place is set up different. By 6:30 or so the entire place is in the shade, unlike Joe Robbie where we were well into the 2nd inning before the place was totally shaded. And I would have to believe that because of the closeness to the coast we get more of an ocean breeze here than at Joe Robbie. Day games, HECK NO. But night games? I do agree with that mythical advantage thing. NFL, yes. MLB, no. Looks like some folks are blurring those lines.
June 14, 201214 yr It was really nice in there Monday night. Great breeze. And once I saw the highlights on TV, it did look better. But why not take it a step further? I think we should use it to our advantage. I bet if someone checked, with the roof open there are less dingers. So on nice evenings and/or when teams come in that are sluggers, open it. Home field advantage for a team that was built on pitching, speed, and defense. Can't see how it would be any different than growing our IF grass a little longer. But day games???? Can't even believe anyone would be for that. Wasn't that one of the excuses for not going to the games at Joe Robbie? We're already having an attendance problem. Check Sunday's Palm Beach Post for proof of that. At this point, I dont consider it an attendance problem since we were getting around 30.000 before the Nba Playoffs. The Heat are taking alot of the Fanbase away at this point every other night You should read that article I referenced. It has to do with the first 30 games of new park openings. We only had 8 home games before the NBA playoffs started. The fact that the biggest team in the city (and arguably one of the most talked about teams in all of sports) being in the playoffs 10 minutes down the road needs to be considered. I'll also love a 29K attendance problem.
June 14, 201214 yr It was really nice in there Monday night. Great breeze. And once I saw the highlights on TV, it did look better. But why not take it a step further? I think we should use it to our advantage. I bet if someone checked, with the roof open there are less dingers. So on nice evenings and/or when teams come in that are sluggers, open it. Home field advantage for a team that was built on pitching, speed, and defense. Can't see how it would be any different than growing our IF grass a little longer. But day games???? Can't even believe anyone would be for that. Wasn't that one of the excuses for not going to the games at Joe Robbie? We're already having an attendance problem. Check Sunday's Palm Beach Post for proof of that. At this point, I dont consider it an attendance problem since we were getting around 30.000 before the Nba Playoffs. The Heat are taking alot of the Fanbase away at this point every other night You should read that article I referenced. It has to do with the first 30 games of new park openings. I did read the article and my opinion still stands. Even the article mentions the possibility that the playoffs have affected the opening. Are attendance for the month of April was in the 30000 range pretty mch every game untill the playoffs started. Here's the link to the article for anyone that wants to read it. http://wap.pbpost.com/post/pm_115676/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=eCkzHsek
June 14, 201214 yr What was the point of a retractable roof that added a ton to the cost of the stadium, if we're just going to keep it closed?
June 14, 201214 yr What was the point of a retractable roof that added a ton to the cost of the stadium, if we're just going to keep it closed? So we don't have rain delays and for burning hot and humid games.
June 14, 201214 yr What was the point of a retractable roof that added a ton to the cost of the stadium, if we're just going to keep it closed? So we don't have rain delays and for burning hot and humid games. He's asking why didn't we just make it a dome. And it's a good point. I doubt that roof will be open anywhere above 15% of the time during a season.
June 14, 201214 yr I'll also love a 29K attendance problem. If the Marlins have an average of 29K at the end of the season, I'd say that's a pretty large disappointment. It shouldn't make any difference if that's way above the average at the football stadium. There are certain expectations for a team with a new ballpark, volume of marquee talent, and level of competitiveness--29K doesn't cut it. To put it in perspective, the Nationals averaged around 29,000 in 2008 for the first year at their new park. That was for a new team in not the best baseball city. The only remotely marketable player on that team was Ryan Zimmerman. And that team lost 102 games. 29K would be embarrassing.
June 14, 201214 yr Also, I think the Miami Heat effect is overstated. I remember for one of the weekday series, the attendance seemed low-ish (in the 24-26k) range, which some might have attributed to the Heat playing in Miami that night. The next day when the Heat wasn't playing, the Marlins actually dropped. I would guess that if you took the average attendance for Heat game nights and compared it to games where the Heat isn't playing, the numbers would be very similar.
June 14, 201214 yr What was the point of a retractable roof that added a ton to the cost of the stadium, if we're just going to keep it closed? So we don't have rain delays and for burning hot and humid games. He's asking why didn't we just make it a dome. And it's a good point. I doubt that roof will be open anywhere above 15% of the time during a season. Oh i looked at the wrong side of the spectrum. A dome would be too restrictive in the long run because they wanted to use it as a multi-function place for concerts and other sporting events.
June 14, 201214 yr Also, I think the Miami Heat effect is overstated. I remember for one of the weekday series, the attendance seemed low-ish (in the 24-26k) range, which some might have attributed to the Heat playing in Miami that night. The next day when the Heat wasn't playing, the Marlins actually dropped. I would guess that if you took the average attendance for Heat game nights and compared it to games where the Heat isn't playing, the numbers would be very similar. Could you also argue that the people paying for playoff Heat tickets are running their budgets dry and dont have the money for the Marlins games? Think if only 4,000 sports fans actually like the Marlins enough to go to the games but spent a huge sum of money for the Heat. Thats 4,000 less not at our games which in most slow nights would have bumped it up to around 29,000 or so. Id say 4,000 out of the 18,000 that went to the heat game, (not sure on AAA attendance size) is a realistic number that might have spent their money on a Marlins game if the heat werent playing.
June 14, 201214 yr I'll also love a 29K attendance problem. If the Marlins have an average of 29K at the end of the season, I'd say that's a pretty large disappointment. It shouldn't make any difference if that's way above the average at the football stadium. There are certain expectations for a team with a new ballpark, volume of marquee talent, and level of competitiveness--29K doesn't cut it. To put it in perspective, the Nationals averaged around 29,000 in 2008 for the first year at their new park. That was for a new team in not the best baseball city. The only remotely marketable player on that team was Ryan Zimmerman. And that team lost 102 games. 29K would be embarrassing. Without commenting on your overall thesis, I think that they were a brand new team in that city at least cuts both ways and might have increased their appeal, at least for some people.
June 14, 201214 yr Also, I think the Miami Heat effect is overstated. I remember for one of the weekday series, the attendance seemed low-ish (in the 24-26k) range, which some might have attributed to the Heat playing in Miami that night. The next day when the Heat wasn't playing, the Marlins actually dropped. I would guess that if you took the average attendance for Heat game nights and compared it to games where the Heat isn't playing, the numbers would be very similar. Could you also argue that the people paying for playoff Heat tickets are running their budgets dry and dont have the money for the Marlins games? Think if only 4,000 sports fans actually like the Marlins enough to go to the games but spent a huge sum of money for the Heat. Thats 4,000 less not at our games which in most slow nights would have bumped it up to around 29,000 or so. Id say 4,000 out of the 18,000 that went to the heat game, (not sure on AAA attendance size) is a realistic number that might have spent their money on a Marlins game if the heat werent playing. I think that's a stretch mainly because the Heat "excuse" isn't so much about people attending playoff games in person; the concern is that people would rather stay home and watch the Heat on TV rather than attend a Marlins game. Given the size of the region, the concern is much more the TV threat, rather than the in-game attendance. And I'm not sure where you are pulling that number from, either. I know it's hypothetical thinking, but I see no justification in thinking that the Heat are costing the Marlins 4,000 fans/night. That sounds pulled out of thin air.
June 14, 201214 yr Also, I think the Miami Heat effect is overstated. I remember for one of the weekday series, the attendance seemed low-ish (in the 24-26k) range, which some might have attributed to the Heat playing in Miami that night. The next day when the Heat wasn't playing, the Marlins actually dropped. I would guess that if you took the average attendance for Heat game nights and compared it to games where the Heat isn't playing, the numbers would be very similar. Could you also argue that the people paying for playoff Heat tickets are running their budgets dry and dont have the money for the Marlins games? Think if only 4,000 sports fans actually like the Marlins enough to go to the games but spent a huge sum of money for the Heat. Thats 4,000 less not at our games which in most slow nights would have bumped it up to around 29,000 or so. Id say 4,000 out of the 18,000 that went to the heat game, (not sure on AAA attendance size) is a realistic number that might have spent their money on a Marlins game if the heat werent playing. I think that's a stretch mainly because the Heat "excuse" isn't so much about people attending playoff games in person; the concern is that people would rather stay home and watch the Heat on TV rather than attend a Marlins game. Given the size of the region, the concern is much more the TV threat, rather than the in-game attendance. And I'm not sure where you are pulling that number from, either. I know it's hypothetical thinking, but I see no justification in thinking that the Heat are costing the Marlins 4,000 fans/night. That sounds pulled out of thin air. I see what your saying in the first paragraph. As far as my hypothesis, It is pulled out of thin air and hypothetical. I think it's not that far off though to think that of the 18000 or so the heat pull to the games that. 4,000 of them might have attended a Markins games a general sports fans. That may be a little high but that's strictly hit a hypothetical guess on my part and I'm not claiming that it's gospel.
June 14, 201214 yr I don't think it has much credibility because you are essentially trying to pin a number on 1.) the number of people who care about baseball, 2.) the number of people who care about the Marlins, 3.) the number of people available and willing to attend a baseball game on a specific night, and 4.) the number of people financially hamstrung to the point where they are cost prohibited they so could not attend a game. That's awfully specific. That's also a lot of variables to consider and required to fall into place, which makes it rather useless to pin a number on it. 4,000 sounds outrageously high for something like that, consider there has been very little attendance fluctuation between Heat game nights and off nights. The Heat TV demographic is going to affect the greatest number of people and the Marlins' attendance figures don't really seem to fluctuate that much.
June 14, 201214 yr What was the point of a retractable roof that added a ton to the cost of the stadium, if we're just going to keep it closed? So we don't have rain delays and for burning hot and humid games. He's asking why didn't we just make it a dome. And it's a good point. I doubt that roof will be open anywhere above 15% of the time during a season. Oh i looked at the wrong side of the spectrum. A dome would be too restrictive in the long run because they wanted to use it as a multi-function place for concerts and other sporting events. I doubt the stadium will be used for much more except baseball. It's too small for any other kind of marquee event.
June 14, 201214 yr A domed facility does not make it less suitable for concerts or other sports. Arguably baseball is the sport in most need of an open air environment. The main reason is that domed facilities require artificial grass. While fake turf is better now than it was in Astroturf days, there is still a desire to maintain natural grass. There is also a desire to keep up with (or be in front of) the pack when it comes to ballpark aesthetics. Domed facilities are something of the past.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.