July 9, 201214 yr We have only use 5 starters to this point in the season, and they combine for 520.2 innings, with an ERA of 3.99. With Mark Buehrle being our ace, and JJ being respectable in late. Our bullpen has pitched a total 237.1 innings, with an ERA of 4.59. Steve Cishek and Randy Choate leading the pack both with ERA's under 2.50, and Heath Bell bring up the rear with and ERA 6.75, 6 blown saves(not including the game where he had a 6-2 lead). our catchers have hit .190 with an OBP of .287 OPS .600(league average .702) our first basemen have hit .210 with an OBP of .269 OPS .586 (league average .776). our second basemen have hit .261 with an OBP .297 OPS .708(.708) our third basemen have hit .264 with an OBP .337 OPS .784(.741) our short stop's have hit .265 with an OBP .339 OPS .720(.694) our center fielder's have hit .268 with an OBP .348 OPS .738(.730) our right fielder's have hit .278 with an OBP .354 OPS .893(.791) our left fielder's have hit .259 with an OBP .326 OPS .731(.772) our PH's have an OPS .821(.706) so at least there is some bright spot. This is our team in the numbers. if anyone looks closely they'd notice we are average, not above average, not really below average, just average. Average teams even in a 5 team playoff don't make the playoffs. So, what do we do, I say sign the people now, and trade the guys you don't plan on signing for prospects. needs of most teams in baseball are bullpen help, and starting pitching help. If we are not going to the post season, we should make out like bandits during the next few weeks. Our farm has 4 prospects left, we need to rebuild.
July 9, 201214 yr How come the team i follow year in and year out is never good? If you did indeed follow this team year in and year out, you'd know it was good about 5 times. 2 of those times, amazing.
July 9, 201214 yr Not only Has bell blown 6 saves plus the 6-2 lead againstbst Louis but cishek got 2 blown saves for coming in and saving that f***ing sh*theads ass. Not only has bell blown 6 saves plus the 6-2 lead against st Louis but cishek got 2 blown saves for coming in and saving that f***ing sh*theads ass.
July 9, 201214 yr Author no, I gave up on this thread in fact i was going to delete it. but i thought i'd just let it die.
July 10, 201214 yr By those numbers, we're at or above average in hitting at 6/9 positions and our starters' combined ERA is below league average thus we should be a slightly above average team. What now? Demote Bell from the closers role, try to get back the six games he blew. If we do, we're where we deserve to be. He really did single handedly f*** our first half.
July 10, 201214 yr I'm not sure if anyone's ever done this on baseballmusings [the line-up "optimizer"] seen here - http://www.baseballm...= 0.137&Model=0 ... but I gave it a go, and it gave me a bit of a surprise on what the current line-up should be [used Ruggiano, Bonifacio, Carlos Lee and I averaged out the starting pitcher's stats]. It made me wonder ... It goes mostly with OPS, with you having to put in the OBP and the Slugging percentages, it calculates it that way. One model has the line-up as [2 with averaging 4.746 runs per game]: 1. Jose Reyes 2. Logan Morrison/Justin Ruggiano 3. John Buck 4. Justin Ruggiano/Logan Morrison 5. Carlos Lee 6. Omar Infante 7. Hanley Ramirez 8. Pitcher 9. Emilio Bonifacio The other model has the line-up as [with 4.618 runs per game]: 1. Jose Reyes 2. Justin Ruggiano 3. Hanley Ramirez 4. Carlos Lee 5. Logan Morrison 6. Pitcher [this has me scratching my head] 7. John Buck 8. Omar Infante 9. Emilio Bonifacio Obviously, since the runs per game would be higher with the top line-up, we'd use that one more, but it kinda surprised me. What are your guys thoughts on that? Obviously we want Hanley moved the f*** down at this point ... lol.
July 10, 201214 yr if I'm understanding your post correctly, we should move john buck to the number 3 spot in the lineup? that website should be shut down if that is their suggestion.
July 10, 201214 yr if I'm understanding your post correctly, we should move john buck to the number 3 spot in the lineup? that website should be shut down if that is their suggestion. They calculate with OBP and Slugging. Not RISP or anything fun like that. :|
July 10, 201214 yr This still isn't getting read even if you quote yourself in another thread. I don't recall double posting or requoting myself. Don't know how that happened but thanks for the nice comment.
July 10, 201214 yr This still isn't getting read even if you quote yourself in another thread. I don't recall double posting or requiring myself. Don't know hey that happened but thanks for the nice comment. He meant OP.
July 10, 201214 yr if I'm understanding your post correctly, we should move john buck to the number 3 spot in the lineup? that website should be shut down if that is their suggestion. They calculate with OBP and Slugging. Not RISP or anything fun like that. :| OBA isn't OBP, my man.
July 10, 201214 yr if I'm understanding your post correctly, we should move john buck to the number 3 spot in the lineup? that website should be shut down if that is their suggestion. They calculate with OBP and Slugging. Not RISP or anything fun like that. :| OBA isn't OBP, my man. In baseball statistics, on-base percentage (OBP) (sometimes referred to as on-base average/OBA...) Yes, I'd have to say it is ... my man.
July 10, 201214 yr if I'm understanding your post correctly, we should move john buck to the number 3 spot in the lineup? that website should be shut down if that is their suggestion. They calculate with OBP and Slugging. Not RISP or anything fun like that. :| OBA isn't OBP, my man. In baseball statistics, on-base percentage (OBP) (sometimes referred to as on-base average/OBA...) Yes, I'd have to say it is. I've never heard it referred to as that. The only OBA I've ever heard of is a pitchers' stat. So either way (whether it be by them telling us to hit Buck third or using that term to describe OBP), that site is awful. Their ninth and tenth best options for us have us leading off with Lee. :lol I'd be interested to see how they calculate this crap.
July 10, 201214 yr if I'm understanding your post correctly, we should move john buck to the number 3 spot in the lineup? that website should be shut down if that is their suggestion. They calculate with OBP and Slugging. Not RISP or anything fun like that. :| OBA isn't OBP, my man. In baseball statistics, on-base percentage (OBP) (sometimes referred to as on-base average/OBA...) Yes, I'd have to say it is. I've never heard it referred to as that. The only OBA I've ever heard of is a pitchers' stat. So either way (whether it be by them telling us to hit Buck third or using that term to describe OBP), that site is awful. It's just for discussion. Like I said, it surprised me. I wouldn't hit Buck 3rd, personally. There is indeed a pitching OBA, but it's more commonly referred to [as far as I know] as BAA.
July 10, 201214 yr It's just for discussion. Like I said, it surprised me. I wouldn't hit Buck 3rd, personally. There is indeed a pitching OBA, but it's more commonly referred to [as far as I know] as BAA. Use their "1959-2004 model". It regulates out a little bit more. Other than having the pitcher hit sixth.
July 10, 201214 yr It's just for discussion. Like I said, it surprised me. I wouldn't hit Buck 3rd, personally. There is indeed a pitching OBA, but it's more commonly referred to [as far as I know] as BAA. Use their "1959-2004 model". It regulates out a little bit more. Other than having the pitcher hit sixth. I did show both line-ups in my post, did I not? It does regulate a bit more, but as for things going right now, I'm agreeing more with the first line-up. Obviously not Buck batting third, but still.
July 10, 201214 yr It's just for discussion. Like I said, it surprised me. I wouldn't hit Buck 3rd, personally. There is indeed a pitching OBA, but it's more commonly referred to [as far as I know] as BAA. Use their "1959-2004 model". It regulates out a little bit more. Other than having the pitcher hit sixth. I did show both line-ups in my post, did I not? It does regulate a bit more, but as for things going right now, I'm agreeing more with the first line-up. Obviously not Buck batting third, but still. You did. I was just pointing it out. And yeah, I would be really interested to see how they calculate this. Buck third, Hanley seventh. Wow.
July 10, 201214 yr Especially considering the OBP/SLG numbers. I mean, if we could put average in, too, then maybe it'd be more evened out.
July 10, 201214 yr I think what they're basically saying is that based off of OPS, we should hit that way. Completely stupid.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.