Jose Reyes' Future

canada-marlin24

He's under contract for five more seasons after this one.

A Jose Reyes trade would make absolutely zero sense unless the Marlins really are just looking to purge contracts. However, this isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

I think Jose had to have gotten some kind of vibe or insight with the possibility of Hanley not working out on this team. I mean, sure he's probably disappointed that now we're going through a "tweaking" stage with the lineup and we might not be competitive again in another 2-4 years... but he got a pretty good contract last time I checked.

With that said, if he's going to piss and moan about not being happy because of not having the chance to win like he might have been "promised", the worst we get is Hanley's unhappy twin or we trade him for more salary relief and prospects. The sooner the better. I don't think I want to go through more drama about a star not wanting to be here and slacking off because of it.

I don't see Reyes going anywhere for the next 2-3 years. We owe him $10 million next season, then $16 million the season after that, and $22 million each season after for the rest of the contract. No team is going to claim him off of waivers if it means they have to take on the remainder of the money (which is a lot.) Most likely what may happen is that if we get a shortstop from our farm system that can produce similar or better numbers than Reyes 2-3 years from now, we will then look to trade him for some prospects and maybe an MLB ready player, and we may or may not have to eat part of the remainder of his contract (depending on what we get for him.)

Reyes will most likely remain a Marlins at least through the 2015 season. After that it's anybody's guess as to what may happen.

I don't see Reyes going anywhere for the next 2-3 years. We owe him $10 million next season, then $16 million the season after that, and $22 million each season after for the rest of the contract. No team is going to claim him off of waivers if it means they have to take on the remainder of the money (which is a lot.) Most likely what may happen is that if we get a shortstop from our farm system that can produce similar or better numbers than Reyes 2-3 years from now, we will then look to trade him for some prospects and maybe an MLB ready player, and we may or may not have to eat part of the remainder of his contract (depending on what we get for him.)

Reyes will most likely remain a Marlins at least through the 2015 season. After that it's anybody's guess as to what may happen.

He does have a good contract right now but I find It weird frisaro included that little paragraph.

I certainly am not expecting Reyes to go anywhere.

I'd have to think the Marlins will reinvest the money they got off the books in the Hanley/Anibal trades this offseason.

you'd have to be naive to think that.

Samson said they'd cut payroll if attendance was less than expected, and attendance was less than expected.

Jose Reyes' future?

Two words = Bright

Reyes isn't going anywhere. Come on... Hanley was the biggest trade of the year for us and probably will be the biggest trade we'll make for the next 2-3 years. I see alot of prospects, developing, acquisitions in our future and very little of trading away the few recognizable faces this franchise still has. I'm very confident Buehrle, Reyes, Stanton will all be here until at least 2014-2015

I'd have to think the Marlins will reinvest the money they got off the books in the Hanley/Anibal trades this offseason.

Samson said they'd cut payroll if attendance was less than expected, and attendance was less than expected.

When did he say that? However, attendance may not be the 31-32 K average they wanted but ut was still a massive improvement that puts us middle of the pack. The teams play also hasn't helped.

I want to see where he said that.

I want to see where he said that.

Its from the Passan article, Passan suggests Samson said this but never quoted him. What Samson said before the season was this

"We've always said payroll is going up when our revenue is going up. We expect higher revenue.

We never had suite revenue. We never had people in the ballpark. We never had concession revenue. We never had any of these things. Our whole model, our revenue model, our expense model is different. With the additional money we have to spend, we're giving it to players."

In other words they will cut payroll if attendance is low.

People aren't realizing how backloaded so many of our contracts are. We can keep the same exact team we have right now, which I think we're at around 70-75M (started at 101 and traded Hanley, Choate, Mujica, Omar, Anibal, so 15+1+1.5+4+8)

But just standing pat, and paying the arbitration eligible guys like Coghlan, Bonifacio, Donnie Murphy, Hayes, and Webb (sure no big raises, but they'll definitely get raises, especially Bonifacio). We'll also shed Leo Nunez's 6M from this year since he's having surgery, so now we're around 68-70 for sure. But a few examples from backloading these contracts. Nolasco goes up 2.5 from 9 to 11.5, Bell goes from 6 to 9, Buehrle from 6 to 11, Reyes surprisingly stays at 10 next year but 16 in 2014. But just from that, payroll just increased 10.5M... so now we're back in the mid-high 70's(75-78) plus arbitration let's say 80ish. So... we were at 101 and it got blown up and we'll be opening around 80ish after all is said and done. I think it's safe to say forget about getting players like Hamilton or Greinke or any other dreams we might have about that. I think the most we can dream is getting a guy like Napoli or Shaun Marcum. Probably sign Pierzynski and some solid relief pitching and stay young and float around the high 80's-90M mark.

We just have a few very bad contracts. Paying Nolasco who can't seem to get an ERA under 4 in the NL in a pitchers park 11.5 is awful. Buck making 6 is awful. I think Heath Bell bounces back but the Marlins never pay for closers and this time we grossly overpaid for one out of nowhere, really a stupid signing for that much. But anyway. I don't see any big signings for a while. Because even when we shed Buck and Nolasco or trade them or they hit FA, Buerhle, Bell and Reyes' contract will again jump up and literally eat all of the money those two guys leaving freed for us.

Ozuna, Yelich, Realmuto, Brantley, Turner, Fernandez, and Cox could all have impact by the end of 2014 (most next season). This is a much improved farm right now. Reyes is still young and is signed for years so I do not see the issue.

I never said we were going to be bad. But I'm starting to agree and shift my thinking that we definitely won't come even close to being the players in FA like we were last year. We're going to make some bullpen signings and a solid OF depth signing and that's about it.

Jose Reyes' future?

Two words = Bright

Reyes isn't going anywhere. Come on... Hanley was the biggest trade of the year for us and probably will be the biggest trade we'll make for the next 2-3 years. I see alot of prospects, developing, acquisitions in our future and very little of trading away the few recognizable faces this franchise still has. I'm very confident Buehrle, Reyes, Stanton will all be here until at least 2014-2015

Stanton better be here for his entire career lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.