Gary Sheffield Hall of Famer?

Admin

Yes he belongs in the HOF, he spent more time with the Marlins than any other team so he would more than likely go in as a Marlin.

As for worthiness of PED players I hate to say it but they probably all deserve to be in, we just have no idea which players used, I'm sure there were 150 lb shortstops that were juicing the same as crappy relief pitchers and no one did anything to stop it or complained about it being done. I know my position on this has changed and may do so again.

A lot of people, including myself, don't think that Dawson belongs in the Hall. In fact, I think most people seem to agree that he was borderline at best.

Until the PED era, Dawson was a top WAR performer and during his peak decade he was in the top 10 of OPS 6 times and top 10 of Slug 8 times and batting average 5 times. He was a gold glove outfielder on top of that.

He should have retired at age 36, but I have never been one to look at the years of decline as a strike against a player that would have qualified after a 15 year career.

500 home runs and a .907 OPS. Looking at career WAR, he's ahead of guys like Barry Bonds, Whitey Ford, Jim Bunning, and Willie Stargell, he's tied with Yogi Berra, and he's less than four points behind guys like Lou Boudreau, Jackie Robinson, Dennis Eckersley, Bob Feller, and Early Wynn.

His shit outfield work aside, he deserves it. And I'm pretty sure he's said he would like to go in as a Marlin.

Yeah, here it is:

On whether he would want a Marlins cap on his Hall of Fame plaque: “Absolutely. That’s the team I won a championship with. Most people since I played with the Yankees associate me with them, but before I got to the Yankees everybody knew me from my Marlin days. Every time they mentioned the Marlins they’d talk about me and what I’d done there, and so I’m always grateful for that. This is one of the teams that’s dear to me and it’s always going to be my first team.�

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseball_marlins/2011/02/gary-sheffield-not-opposed-to-going-in-as-florida-marlin-if-hall-calls.html

A lot of people, including myself, don't think that Dawson belongs in the Hall. In fact, I think most people seem to agree that he was borderline at best.

Until the PED era, Dawson was a top WAR performer and during his peak decade he was in the top 10 of OPS 6 times and top 10 of Slug 8 times and batting average 5 times. He was a gold glove outfielder on top of that.

He should have retired at age 36, but I have never been one to look at the years of decline as a strike against a player that would have qualified after a 15 year career.

This isn't very convincing. First you'll have to clarify what you mean by "top WAR performer." I also think we need to be careful in how we use WAR before defensive metrics became sophisticated and I also think it's unwise to look at career (sum) WAR numbers.

Furthermore, those top ten placements really aren't that impressive if you actually look at comparisons among his peers.

I think that Dawson's career OPS+ of 119 is pretty damning--tied for 373rd place of all time. That's pretty disappointing for someone who hit for power.

500 home runs and a .907 OPS. His shit outfield work aside, he deserves it. And I'm pretty sure he's said he would like to go in as a Marlin.

He did? Not up to him what he goes in as unfortunately.

If he goes in at all, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in with the Dodgers because there is so much animosity toward the Marlins in general. The LA numbers are slightly better too even if he didn't win a World Series with them.

500 home runs and a .907 OPS. His shit outfield work aside, he deserves it. And I'm pretty sure he's said he would like to go in as a Marlin.

He did? Not up to him what he goes in as unfortunately.

If he goes in at all, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in with the Dodgers because there is so much animosity toward the Marlins in general. The LA numbers are slightly better too even if he didn't win a World Series with them.

He was with the Marlins longer, won a champsionship here, and had his best season here. I don't think there's any doubt that IF he goes in it's with the Fish. Especially considering the player himself has voiced that is how he would like it.

The difference between his time with the Marlins and Dodgers is 32 games, which is pretty negligible. I could easily see the HOF going with the Dodgers both because they are a more respected franchise and the fact that Sheffield played slightly better in LA.

I think that there's a decent chance that he would go in as a Marlin but you are crazy if you think there's no chance of him going in with LA. Remember as others have said--players really don't get a say in the matter. Dawson allegedly wanted to go in as a Cub.

The difference between his time with the Marlins and Dodgers is 32 games, which is pretty negligible. I could easily see the HOF going with the Dodgers both because they are a more respected franchise and the fact that Sheffield played slightly better in LA.

I think that there's a decent chance that he would go in as a Marlin but you are crazy if you think there's no chance of him going in with LA. Remember as others have said--players really don't get a say in the matter. Dawson allegedly wanted to go in as a Cub.

I don't have their handbook, but I feel as if the Hall usually makes their decision based on longevity, chamionships, and career prime. I think Sheff and the Marlins are a perfect match in those criteria and if they want a Fish in the Hall in my lifetime I don't see another opportunity!

Again, there really isn't much of a longevity argument for the Marlins when the difference is only 32 games. It also depends on how you define "career prime" because Sheffield's numbers were better in LA.

So then there's the championship. Obviously that has some weight, but I suspect it would less important and possibly negated by the fact that there seems to be a bias against this franchise.