The Marlins should be selling opportunity to free agents.

It worked with Juan Pierre and Placido Polanco. I'm not a big believer in Solano....so would it hurt to bring in some competition for him? I think not. The Marlins should take a look at signing Kelly Johnson to play 2B. He would give them some pop and he would probably play on a 1-year deal to try to re-establish himself. Ryan Theriot, Jeff Baker and Matt Downs all make sense too. I think they should also take some fliers on relievers to help fill out the bullpen.

All those 2B suck with the exception of Kelly Johnson who would probably be an upgrade. But he could probably start for another team, as well.

They are looking for relievers.

Kelly Johnson would probably be an upgrade? Come on now Erick. The Marlins have no power outside of Stanton. Morrison and Ruggiano are iffy as power hitters. Solano has only batted more than 500 times in the minors one time in his 8 years there. Plus, the Marlins can't afford to play at least four guys (Pierre, Brantly, Hechavarria and Solano) with absolutely no pop.

All those 2B suck with the exception of Kelly Johnson who would probably be an upgrade. But he could probably start for another team, as well.

Kelly Johnson would probably be an upgrade? Come on now Erick. The Marlins have no power outside of Stanton. Morrison and Ruggiano are iffy as power hitters. Solano has only batted more than 500 times in the minors one time in his 8 years there. Plus, the Marlins can't afford to play at least four guys (Pierre, Brantly, Hechavarria and Solano) with absolutely no pop.

I feel like we agree so I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I agree with your Kelly Johnson idea, hence the reason why I said he's probably good enough that he doesn't need to seek opportunity.

The other guys you listed aren't good, and don't have much upside, either. It also seems like you're just listing names because you cite lack of power, yet one of the names is Ryan Theriot?

Wouldn't you agree that, of the guys listed, Kelly Johnson is the only one with intriguing upside?

For what it's worth, Brantly slugged .460. It would not be unreasonable to expect 15 HRs and 30 doubles from him in a full season.

I'm on board with the Kelly Johnson idea though. He also plays a decent second base (positive dWAR in the past 3 seasons) and, with luck, could return to his 2010 form. $3.5M plus some incentives could do the trick.

For what it's worth, Brantly slugged .460. It would not be unreasonable to expect 15 HRs and 30 doubles from him in a full season.

I'm on board with the Kelly Johnson idea though. He also plays a decent second base (positive dWAR in the past 3 seasons) and, with luck, could return to his 2010 form. $3.5M plus some incentives could do the trick.

Brantly had a pretty small sample size. In his three years in the minors, he had a .392 slugging %. Only 118 runs scored, 16 homers and 124 RBIs in 980 ABs in the minors. I think he could hit for a decent average, but I don't think it's going to hit with much thump.

yeah Brantly is not likely to equal those slugging numbers. It's certainly possible he could develop a little more power than expected but I wouldn't bet on it quite yet. I think he'll be fine though, he looks like he has a pretty good idea up there.

But I think everyone agrees we'd like to have seen a little more FA talent brought in.

Brantly had a pretty small sample size. In his three years in the minors, he had a .392 slugging %. Only 118 runs scored, 16 homers and 124 RBIs in 980 ABs in the minors. I think he could hit for a decent average, but I don't think it's going to hit with much thump.

You've cited runs scored a couple of times. Why the interest in that stat? It's relatively meaningless.

I'd much rather stick with Solano than pay Kelly Johnson $3.5 million for one year when the team isn't competing.

I'd much rather stick with Solano than pay Kelly Johnson $3.5 million for one year when the team isn't competing.

If taking on good new players is deferred because the team won't be competitive, then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Johnson isn't really a "good" player. He's probably better than Solano but there's really no point in paying him that much money when the team isn't going to win. It's not like paying Johnson $3.5 million would suddenly elevate this team to competition. The 2013 team is going to lose no matter what, so I'd rather them lose with guys mostly making the minimum rather than be like the Royals (maybe not last year) and sign a bunch of crappy veterans who don't project to be part of the future.

2013 is basically going to be used to test a bunch of guys. Most notably, Hechavarria, Brantly, Ruggiano, Morrison, Eovaldi, Turner, Alvarez, and possibly Yelich and Fernandez. You can maybe even throw Solano into that mix too.

Based on the results and the level of competitiveness, I think that the Marlins will decide what approach to take in 2014. As in, whether or not to invest or how much--if necessary.

I don't really mind bringing in Pierre and Polanco because the prospect depth was really lacking in some areas, but I don't really see the purpose in filling the team with mediocre veterans even if it means losing 90 games instead of 93 (or whatever).

I would think that they would build around Giancarlo Stanton, but that might not happen. He's not a happy camper right now. The other young players on the team right now are going to be hard pressed to play at an All-Star level in the near future.

I think the Marlins are overrating what they got back from Toronto, but it certainly seems like they expect several of those pieces to be contributing over the next couple of seasons.