'16 Cubs won like the '97 Marlins did?

Found this interesting... people claim the 1997 Marlins "bought" their championship considering how much of a payroll increase they had in the two seasons before their championship and it turns out the 2016 Cubs pretty much did the same thing... check this out...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-2016-cubs-won-just-like-the-1997-marlins-did/

LMAO at that Infoplease article that was cited in this.

In 1993, the last time baseball expanded, the Colorado Rockies and Florida Marlins were the result. The Rockies toil in park that produces laughable offensive numbers and tear-inducing pitching stats. And while the Marlns won it all, they damaged the game by the way they went about it.

Let's hope this class of expansion teams actually has some class.

So trying to win = no class?

I know it was written 20 years ago now, but still. Funny.

Found this interesting... people claim the 1997 Marlins "bought" their championship considering how much of a payroll increase they had in the two seasons before their championship and it turns out the 2016 Cubs pretty much did the same thing... check this out...

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-2016-cubs-won-just-like-the-1997-marlins-did/

I read it and I get their analysis, so it seems somewhat flawed in some respects.

But wasnt a good chunk of that Cub team either built from within or through trade?

Or maybe I just think that 538 is way overreaching (as per usual) in trying to make analysis out of something where it doesnt exist.  

I read it and I get their analysis, so it seems somewhat flawed in some respects.But wasnt a good chunk of that Cub team either built from within or through trade?

Or maybe I just think that 538 is way overreaching (as per usual) in trying to make analysis out of something where it doesnt exist.  

You're probably right but I think it's mostly just looking at "increase in payroll the two immediate seasons prior to a championship". There's definitely other factors involved.

• 3 weeks later...
I read it and I get their analysis, so it seems somewhat flawed in some respects.

But wasnt a good chunk of that Cub team either built from within or through trade?

A lot of the 97 team was built internally and through trades the previous years as well. They did sign alou Bonilla and Fernandez but Sheffield brown leiter nen Rentería castillo Johnson were all there from before. The biggest similarity is they both beat the Indians in game 7.