Derek Jeter: "First Day of a New Era"

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/derek-jeter-miami-marlins/

Welcome to Miami. Bienvenidos a Miami.

I heard those words on my first trip to Florida. I was in high school, on a recruiting trip to the University of Miami. I was only 17 and Miami was the farthest I’d ever been from home.

It wasn’t just that hearing Spanish was new to me. Everything about Miami was different and exciting. I don’t really recall exactly what I did or where I went that weekend. It was a blur. But to this day I still remember how it felt. The music, the weather, the diversity — I remember how alive Miami was.

One thing really jumped out at me. It was the way people talked about Miami — with such a sense of pride. Everyone I met seemed to go out of their way to tell me why their city was so special.

But enough looking back. Right now I want to talk about the future.

Today is the first day of a new era for Marlins baseball. On behalf of the new ownership group, I want to tell you about our vision for the future.

I’ve never been big on making predictions. I’ve always had a “no excuses” mentality in everything I do, and I believe hard work and discipline are rewarded over time. So I won’t make any predictions, but I will make a few promises.

We’re going to develop a winning culture.

The way I see it, doing things the right way, over and over, leads to sustained success. I’m not just talking about wins and losses — winning games is very important to everyone — but also about developing a winning culture throughout the organization. That’s what is most important, and that journey starts today. It will not happen overnight. But our ownership group is focused on building a team that this community can be proud of.

We’re going to celebrate the culture and diversity of this community.

This is Miami’s team. We’re committed to celebrating what makes this community great. Over time, we want you to get to know us as an organization. More importantly, we want to get to know you.

We believe in the Marlins’ organization.

The truth is, the purchase of the team has been a long process. It’s been draining at times. But we stuck with it because we believe in Miami, we believe in this organization and, with your help, we believe we will turn it around.

This community has always made me feel welcome.

It’s time to return the favor.

The next era of Marlins baseball begins now. Let’s have some fun — it’s the Miami way.

Love the optimistic tone of the letter. However, I've been a fan of the team since 1993 when I was in middle school and have watched almost every game since. The good times and the bad times I've been a fan. Part of what allowed me to get through the Loria years was the hope that someday he'll leave and a "new era" can begin. 

That being said no matter how much "baseball sense" certain moves will make towards a rebuild, I'm sick of the perpetual rebuild and losing. I'll wait and see, but a total fire sale at this point may be the last straw for me and I may switch back to my pre-marlins team. Too many wasted years and the "hope" that a rebuild might make us contenders someday does not give me the warm and fuzzies. 

For a fan base that has gone through multiple fire sales through horrible owners, how can the last straw be one more fire sale from a potentially great new ownership group? 

LORIA IS GONE... even if it takes another fire sale we now have a serious chance to be great... why is that so hard to see? 

It may hurt at first but all I've ever wanted was a consistently competitive Marlins team. I'm ready to wait this one out because there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

Love the optimistic tone of the letter. However, I've been a fan of the team since 1993 when I was in middle school and have watched almost every game since. The good times and the bad times I've been a fan. Part of what allowed me to get through the Loria years was the hope that someday he'll leave and a "new era" can begin. 

That being said no matter how much "baseball sense" certain moves will make towards a rebuild, I'm sick of the perpetual rebuild and losing. I'll wait and see, but a total fire sale at this point may be the last straw for me and I may switch back to my pre-marlins team. Too many wasted years and the "hope" that a rebuild might make us contenders someday does not give me the warm and fuzzies. 

This. 

The "unpopular decisions" like Loria sold this team to him !?

I think we know what that means......players will be traded, and most likely Stanton. I think like has been said in another post, body language said it all....Jeter not even speaking to Stanton yet, means he's gone...and prolly over the Winter Meetings in order to give fans time to difest it, get over the hurt & anger by the time Spring Training starts in February. If Stanton was to be a cornerstone of the future, he may have even been there today. Also no Mike Hill....yet he was mentioned several times by Jeter....that is scary.

They had to know the Stanton questions were coming so clearly they’re either 

A) Not sure if Stanton is staying or

B) Already know that they will try and move Stanton

If they knew they were keeping him they would have dispelled alarm by just saying, “how can we trade a guy who just hit 59 HR’s and is a top 3 MVP candidate?”

For a fan base that has gone through multiple fire sales through horrible owners, how can the last straw be one more fire sale from a potentially great new ownership group? 

LORIA IS GONE... even if it takes another fire sale we now have a serious chance to be great... why is that so hard to see? 

It may hurt at first but all I've ever wanted was a consistently competitive Marlins team. I'm ready to wait this one out because there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

You would be the best "Public Relation Practitioner" of this team.

You bite the bullet. Mas would have.

I agree.....that's why I am already skeptical. We have a decent offense, but could reset, and it fail, which then means more years.....just because they do a firesale it's not, by any means a guarantee we'll even be as good as we now......I think we could be better, but we could also be worse. If they reset, and it fails, I think that would be it for me....and I'll bet a lot of other folks in this town. In other words, THEY can't afford to fail.

That light might just be an oncoming train my friend.  

You know, I just re-read Stanton's comments about not wanting to stick around for another rebuild and it dawned on me that maybe Jeter didn't use the word rebuild for that reason.  If he is planning on still building around Stanton he would avoid using that word.  If he wanted Stanton gone he would have just used the word rebuild. Maybe I'm just hopeful and reading too much into it.  

You know, I just re-read Stanton's comments about not wanting to stick around for another rebuild and it dawned on me that maybe Jeter didn't use the word rebuild for that reason.  If he is planning on still building around Stanton he would avoid using that word.  If he wanted Stanton gone he would have just used the word rebuild. Maybe I'm just hopeful and reading too much into it.  

I find your synopsis interesting so I'm going back to read the comments again. I only saw the Jeter letter. Anybody know where I can listen to the presser?

If they knew for sure they were not attempting to move Stanton, Jeter would have announced it at today’s press conference.

If my wife of ten years would constantly beat me and cheat on me, and I finally had the courage to leave her, but then my new wife beats me and cheats on me during our honeymoon, at that point I would have lost all faith in women and would be forced to switch to men, animals, or asexuality.