Realmuto loses arby case

SonOfJack

Not sure it has any effect on his value since it is "only" 600k but I guess it can only help.

By being paid lower, he will be paid lower the next two years also. It's probably only $1-2 million, but that does generate some value. He's nominally more valuable.

Golden opportunity to give him a $45-50 million contract today versus play for $2.9 million and hope you don't get hurt.

Also insane ruling. Gattis got 3.3 mil in 2016 and he played OF half the time. I guess the only stat that matters is HR.

By being paid lower, he will be paid lower the next two years also. It's probably only $1-2 million, but that does generate some value. He's nominally more valuable.

Golden opportunity to give him a $45-50 million contract today versus play for $2.9 million and hope you don't get hurt.

Also insane ruling. Gattis got 3.3 mil in 2016 and he played OF half the time. I guess the only stat that matters is HR.

I agree that it's an insane ruling, but the idea that there is any chance, whatsoever that JT would sign a long term contract in Miami is even more insane.

I agree that it's an insane ruling, but the idea that there is any chance, whatsoever that JT would sign a long term contract in Miami is even more insane.

I don't know about that. Putting emotions aside of being on a no doubt bad 60-65 win team for 2018 and 2019.

If an offer of $50 millionish bucks comes in for 5 years, and let's face it JT's best case scenario is something like $2.9-$5.5-$10 in arbitration (3/$18 basically), and the Marlins will fully guarantee him a peak arbitration and 2 free agency years at $17 million right now (Buster made $20 million in year 7, and even accounting inflation, Buster is a lot better than Realmuto so I'm going to say that's a really reasonable free agency price), that's pretty hard to say no.

Catcher is a pretty volatile position, and Realmuto will basically have the 3rd largest catcher buyout in history for the service time years we're talking about here if the Marlins will spend $50ish (Posey and Mauer, both of whom were better than him at the time of the deals; that's more than Salvador because its 1 less free agency year). For perspective, 5 years ago Lucroy sold his arbitration for $12 million buck(!!!!!!). Holy shit I didn't even know that. That's amazing.

$50 million is fuck you money, my great grandkids are going to private elementary school, I'm a free agent again at 32, and I'm pretty athletic for my position so I can probably get a second big contract then for 3-5 years, or, be good enough to move somewhere else like Biggio and still get paid.

It's dollars and cents ultimately. It's still a business and his career. If he wants to bet on himself? Go for it. Being a free agent at 30 someone may give you a big deal, but that's still scary for a catcher.

So we're back to, this is truly a golden opportunity for the Marlins who will have so many club controlled guys on the team 2020-2022, they can buy Realmuto's happiness by giving him a deal 110+% of market rate for 5 years. If he wants to reject that because his buddies were traded? I get it. There are better places in baseball to hang a shingle.

But at the same time, he could also be one of the leaders of a young, potentially explosive, team in 3 years with plenty of other free agency money to plug 3-4 holes. Maybe Jeter and Denbo are right? Talent is coming in the farm. There are worse places to live then no state income tax Miami when you're in your late 20s. Milwaukee and St. Louis being two places clearly worse to live. 

Just saying, it's a bit more grey versus the black and white of new ownership dysfunction. If I am the Marlins, I put on the full court press and win his affection with flattery and more importantly dollar signs.

Also, I am hoping you are Realmuto's dad, mom, or agent with only 5 all time posts. I think I speak for everyone, we love your kid/client and hope he is going to be here a long time - assuming Jeter will show him the money. Feel free to be pissed off if they don't pay him. We get it. We don't like it either.

I don't know about that. Putting emotions aside of being on a no doubt bad 60-65 win team for 2018 and 2019.

If an offer of $50 millionish bucks comes in for 5 years, and let's face it JT's best case scenario is something like $2.9-$5.5-$10 in arbitration (3/$18 basically), and the Marlins will fully guarantee him a peak arbitration and 2 free agency years at $17 million right now (Buster made $20 million in year 7, and even accounting inflation, Buster is a lot better than Realmuto so I'm going to say that's a really reasonable free agency price), that's pretty hard to say no.

Catcher is a pretty volatile position, and Realmuto will basically have the 3rd largest catcher buyout in history for the service time years we're talking about here if the Marlins will spend $50ish (Posey and Mauer, both of whom were better than him at the time of the deals; that's more than Salvador because its 1 less free agency year). For perspective, 5 years ago Lucroy sold his arbitration for $12 million buck(!!!!!!). Holy shit I didn't even know that. That's amazing.

$50 million is fuck you money, my great grandkids are going to private elementary school, I'm a free agent again at 32, and I'm pretty athletic for my position so I can probably get a second big contract then for 3-5 years, or, be good enough to move somewhere else like Biggio and still get paid.

It's dollars and cents ultimately. It's still a business and his career. If he wants to bet on himself? Go for it. Being a free agent at 30 someone may give you a big deal, but that's still scary for a catcher.

So we're back to, this is truly a golden opportunity for the Marlins who will have so many club controlled guys on the team 2020-2022, they can buy Realmuto's happiness by giving him a deal 110+% of market rate for 5 years. If he wants to reject that because his buddies were traded? I get it. There are better places in baseball to hang a shingle.

But at the same time, he could also be one of the leaders of a young, potentially explosive, team in 3 years with plenty of other free agency money to plug 3-4 holes. Maybe Jeter and Denbo are right? Talent is coming in the farm. There are worse places to live then no state income tax Miami when you're in your late 20s. Milwaukee and St. Louis being two places clearly worse to live. 

Just saying, it's a bit more grey versus the black and white of new ownership dysfunction. If I am the Marlins, I put on the full court press and win his affection with flattery and more importantly dollar signs.

Also, I am hoping you are Realmuto's dad, mom, or agent with only 5 all time posts. I think I speak for everyone, we love your kid/client and hope he is going to be here a long time - assuming Jeter will show him the money. Feel free to be pissed off if they don't pay him. We get it. We don't like it either.

You don't get it. It's not all about the money. Some players place a greater value on trust, friendship and winning. A line has been crossed.

Adeiny also won his case and got a bump from 4.35 to 5.9million per lol

batshit crazy

so two JT's aren't even worth 1 Adeiny? 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22318419/ken-giles-adeiny-hechavarria-win-arbitration-cases-roberto-osuna-loses

Adeiny has more service time (plus had a MLB contract buying out his minimum seasons I believe), so he was always going to get more in this cycle. Realmuto should crush that number when he is third year eligible after 2019.

But the JT decision is still pathetic on a variety of levels. I have no words why the Marlins aren't trying to show their # 1 asset some love. But maybe the trade decision has already been made and they are just waiting for an appropriate return.

Adeiny has more service time (plus had a MLB contract buying out his minimum seasons I believe), so he was always going to get more in this cycle. Realmuto should crush that number when he is third year eligible after 2019.

But the JT decision is still pathetic on a variety of levels. I have no words why the Marlins aren't trying to show their # 1 asset some love. But maybe the trade decision has already been made and they are just waiting for an appropriate return.

yeah, i know it's just a service time issue but I still find it bizarre JT lost his and they're out there giving scrubs like Adeiny that kinda coin via arbitration.

yeah, i know it's just a service time issue but I still find it bizarre JT lost his and they're out there giving scrubs like Adeiny that kinda coin via arbitration.

A component of it is showing up to work healthy. Hech is pretty solid there besides 50 games last year.

Definitely crazy. JT produced more value last year than Hech in his entire career.