Tim Healey chimes in on the Darvish idea

SonOfJack

or they win the WS. this is a fun game

or they dont get career years out of Stanton and Ozuna, Stanton doesnt stay healthy for the first time in his career, a SP they sign isnt as effective as they wanted or gets hurt like Chen and they are in a worse place than they already were.  You cant point to one team who ever won anything of significance with the kind of lack of organizational depth like we had.  It's the exact reason why we have had that one-two months every single year for years now where we completely shit the bed.  This team wasnt winning anything regardless.

Once you make the playoffs you're a legit WS contender. We could've made the playoffs with Darvish and another mid rotation piece. It's silly to think otherwise. Doesn't mean the rebuild was a bad idea.

I can agree with that, i just think asking a small market team already hemorrhaging money to add what would be likely 35 million dollars at least on a team with an already $140 million payroll is beyond unrealistic.

The old core never came close to making the playoffs.

And all the guys who were traded away had career years last year (well, except for Yelich who basically demanded a trade).

Even if 2 SP’s maybe get them to the playoffs (unlikely), it’s still a terrible long-term strategy.

A little tired of the straw man arguments I keep reading about how the team would have never contended.

The team was dismantled because pitching ace #1 tragically got himself killed and #2 has been forever sidelined by an elbow injury he won't surgically repair. With the lineup they had, add 2 mid-rotation starters (which in this market would not have run 35M), instead of trotting out the 6 ERA types we had to vomit watching, and we're wild card contenders. No problem trading Dee. Not having another career year from Stanton and Yelich would not have eliminated us from contention, you'd be adding back Prado's bat and not expecting that Boor would be out for 2 months and be replaced by a dude (Tyler Moore) who could only hit 140 and drive in 2 runs during that time. The long term strategy to me is how they draft and their international pool signings, which don't require a tear down. And hopefully Garrett and Rogers turn out to be decent MLB starters.

Project Wolverine told me all I need to know about where this team was being taken. A bitter and unnecessary pill to take but I've swallowed it. I'll always root for this team and hope they surprise and eventually fulfill the expectations of the front office, Fish20, et al .  But my feelings are a lot closer to Cote that to the sunshine pumpers of the fire sale that populate this board, god bless you all.  

A little tired of the straw man arguments I keep reading about how the team would have never contended.

The team was dismantled because pitching ace #1 tragically got himself killed and #2 has been forever sidelined by an elbow injury he won't surgically repair. With the lineup they had, add 2 mid-rotation starters (which in this market would not have run 35M), instead of trotting out the 6 ERA types we had to vomit watching, and we're wild card contenders. No problem trading Dee. Not having another career year from Stanton and Yelich would not have eliminated us from contention, you'd be adding back Prado's bat and not expecting that Boor would be out for 2 months and be replaced by a dude (Tyler Moore) who could only hit 140 and drive in 2 runs during that time. The long term strategy to me is how they draft and their international pool signings, which don't require a tear down. And hopefully Garrett and Rogers turn out to be decent MLB starters.

Project Wolverine told me all I need to know about where this team was being taken. A bitter and unnecessary pill to take but I've swallowed it. I'll always root for this team and hope they surprise and eventually fulfill the expectations of the front office, Fish20, et al .  But my feelings are a lot closer to Cote that to the sunshine pumpers of the fire sale that populate this board, god bless you all.  

Jose Fernandez isn’t coming back and neither is Chen’s arm. 

So, again, the core of Stanton/Yelich/Ozuna had no shot to contend realistically. Couldn’t even get a winning season out of them last year despite the fact they were pretty much at their best. 

The let’s throw $250+ million at Darvish/Arrieta idea sounds like a great video game solution, but this is real life.

The old core never came close to making the playoffs.

And all the guys who were traded away had career years last year (well, except for Yelich who basically demanded a trade).

Even if 2 SP’s maybe get them to the playoffs (unlikely), it’s still a terrible long-term strategy.

on the career years - those guys were all hitting their peaks and there's no reason shouldn't continue that.

i agree it's a terrible strategy. my point is that the healey's post is full of shit is all

on the career years - those guys were all hitting their peaks and there's no reason shouldn't continue that.

i agree it's a terrible strategy. my point is that the healey's post is full of shit is all

My point on the career years is that it’s unrealistic to expect better. If you get a repeat, we all saw what that led to last year.

Last year (another losing record), we saw what that core could do with everything going rather perfectly. 

Signing Arrieta or Darvish along with a Vargas or Lynn type player could very well get us to the playoffs. Chen could return to form. Strailey stays solid. Bour stays healthy all year and you have a legit top 10 offense. 

You can also argue that with what we have right now Chen returns to his Orioles day form, Strailey improves, we unearth the next dontrelle Willis and surprises abound with our offense and young OF’ers and led by a 40 HR season by Bour and JT and Rojas improve and Ziegler becomes the next surprising veteran in a long line of them for the marlins to turn in a career year. 

See where I’m going with this? You can’t know for sure. No one here can say any of this for a fact because players regress, they get injured, they die (yikes). The marlins are doing the most likely scenario for building an affordable lasting competitive team with depth. No one can or should argue against that. Hopefully that’s really their goal. The rest is all second guessing and pretending you’re Marty McFly and you came from the future.