New Mlb.com Marlins top 30 is out

fish20

18 of the 30 have been brought in since last years draft until now.  So good to see after years of ignoring organizational depth and nice to see us finally building an organization with a plan suited to our market/market size.  Hopefully we could add Soto in a JT deal and the cuban OF in the next IFA session.

Interesting that they have Torres from the Dee deal higher than Devers.  I think he is an underrated prospect who isnt getting as much press as Devers but who put up impressive power numbers in limited time last year.  I think those 2, Dunand, and Merandy will be much higher on these lists next year.  Guzman too but he can only go so much higher than he already is.

Man Kolek went from 2nd to 28th... that's crazy. As much as that's on him for, well, sucking... that also says something about the rebuild in a broad sense. The guy that was 2nd best a year ago? The Marlins have reshuffled and basically gotten 26 guys better than him since then. 

Yes I know that's not exactly the way it works.

Man Kolek went from 2nd to 28th... that's crazy. As much as that's on him for, well, sucking... that also says something about the rebuild in a broad sense. The guy that was 2nd best a year ago? The Marlins have reshuffled and basically gotten 26 guys better than him since then. 

also says how :hill  wasted a draft pick there

To be fair, some of those guys were already in the system.

Kolek has just sucked that much.

Honestly, looking back at that Kolek pick its fine to look back at the first round and see guys who would have been better, but of the guys we were discussing (essentially Kolek v. Rodon v. Aiken v. Nola) it isnt the end of the world.  Obviously a terrible pick, but Rodon has been average and not nearly the type of guy people thought he was gonna be. Aiken had arm issues too.  Nola was the one to pick though, but the MLB draft is such a fucking crapshoot.  I really dont like taking pitchers so high in the draft.  I think epstein had it right in capitalizing on those picks by taking more sure things in college hitters (Schwarber and Bryant and Happ) or just hitters in general (Almora and Baez).  Pitchers are just such crapshoots and the injury risk makes me want to take hitters exclusively if im picking that high unless its a cant miss guy, which Kolek certainly wasnt. 

Edit- If i recall correctly i also remember Trea Turner was in the discussion for the pick.  He would have been incredible to get our hands on if we could have.  Still cant believe the nats got him for so little.

And even can't miss pitchers can miss. Mark Appel was considered a sure thing. I agree with you.

Obviously if you get the right guy you strike gold, i just feel like there is so much more variance in taking pitchers early versus hitters.  Plus hitters are generally more valuable just based on the sheer fact of playing every day.