Rule 5 pick Julian Fernandez claimed from Giants

SonOfJack

Because Giants chose him from Colorado. If nobody claimed him, Rockies would have gotten him back.

I still don't get it. Yes he was claimed from Colorado but we claimed him from the Giants so I don't get why we wouldn't offer back to them? Why do the Giants get skipped over? Didn't Colorado already miss their chance here? 

I still don't get it. Yes he was claimed from Colorado but we claimed him from the Giants so I don't get why we wouldn't offer back to them? Why do the Giants get skipped over? Didn't Colorado already miss their chance here? 

Colorado is his original team. When you select a guy in the Rule 5, you must keep him on your active roster for at least 90 days. If you do not, you place him on waivers. Any team can claim him and then inherits that rule of the active roster. If he goes unclaimed, the original team can have him back.

i suppose if the giants wanted to, they could claim him if we waive him and potentially get him back. They'd inherit that active roster rule though.

Colorado is the only team that can get him and put him in the minors and they don't have to claim him. If Marlins decide they don't want him on active roster, Rockies would likely get him back and put him in minors at that point.

When you select a guy in the Rule 5, you must keep him on your active roster for at least 90 days. If you do not, you place him on waivers. Any team can claim him and then inherits that rule of the active roster.  

Oh I didnt know this step... I thought if a guy isn't kept all season he automatically goes back to his original team... I didn't know another team could swoop in and take him. So basically this guy has been "double claimed"?

So if we had to let go of Brett Graves last season there was a chance a team that wasn't his original team could have claimed him? 

Oh I didnt know this step... I thought if a guy isn't kept all season he automatically goes back to his original team... I didn't know another team could swoop in and take him. So basically this guy has been "double claimed"?

So if we had to let go of Brett Graves last season there was a chance a team that wasn't his original team could have claimed him? 

I think Son Of Jack is mistaken.

What happens when a player is selected in the Rule 5 Draft?

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days. If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team from which he was selected for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player.

Once a player is selected, he is automatically assigned to his new organization's 40-man roster.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp?mc=faq

I think Son Of Jack is mistaken.

What happens when a player is selected in the Rule 5 Draft?

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days. If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team from which he was selected for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player.

Once a player is selected, he is automatically assigned to his new organization's 40-man roster.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/rule_5.jsp?mc=faq

Thanks for this. Where u been man? Go post in the new uniforms thread I'd love to know what you think of them. 

If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team from which he was selected for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player

Well thanks for the correction. I had the process backwards.  I got the part right about him remaining on the active roster right at least. 

Someone should tell RotoWorld as they apparently made the same mistake - http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/9744/julian-fernandez

So if he went unclaimed, he would’ve been a free agent? And then wouldn’t have been locked into this roster rule? I guess the risk there is you’re letting any team sign him and the marlins didn’t want to risk that. They had an easier time claiming him due to their shitty record and availability of a roster spot.