Ballpark site to move beyond Miami

Rex

We said it was dead in Miami. South Florida losing baseball would take years. Burgess seems to be really into this. My mom, who used to work for Dade County before retiring, said he is trustworthy on a big project and a very good man to handle it.

Hialeah is going to be the new partner in my opinion. Hialeah has EXCELLENT credit because they are always taking out and repaying road bonds and they already got voter approval for a ballpark in the 2000 elections.

Now if the County and Hialeah could only get along.

Said City Commissioner Tomas Regalado, who sponsored the referendum resolution: ``We all want the stadium and the Marlins to stay here. If they find a richer partner, God bless them because the bottom line is everyone wants the Marlins to stay.''

what the hell does that mean? i actually went and watched the recording of thursday's city commission meeting. when this moron proposed this referendum idea, he looked as shifty-eyed as i've ever seen a politician look... seriously, i could see the bastard's eyes shifting around the room as he started BSing the microphone with unneccessary details.

if i had to pick the city in dade county with the most money and power, i'd have to go with coral gables.

they're probably miami's biggest competitor for the FTAA secretariat, and i'm sure they could easily afford a stadium. whether they'd support it is an entirely different question, but i know i personally wouldn't mind driving to CG to watch a game.

it might be a problem for broward/palm beach people, however.

''I work Monday through Friday,'' said Arriola. ``If you're calling to ask about city business, call me Monday.''

What a jerk off... :thumbdown . When you have 90 days for our baseball team to (for all practical purposes) sink or swim, I wish these politians would show a little bit of urgency. Every day counts.

if i had to pick the city in dade county with the most money and power, i'd have to go with coral gables.

they're probably miami's biggest competitor for the FTAA secretariat, and i'm sure they could easily afford a stadium. whether they'd support it is an entirely different question, but i know i personally wouldn't mind driving to CG to watch a game.

it might be a problem for broward/palm beach people, however.

The problem with siting in Coral Gables is that land values are much too high there to acquire a big enough piece of land to support a stadium and parking, not to mention the lack of access.

What is needed is a large tract of undeveloped land with access to 95. There is a large tract the County owns near Golden Glades which might make a good site. Then there's Hialeah race track but access is god-awful.

I actually got a response from the letter I sent last night...

Let me remind you that I have been consistent from day one about my opposition to using public funds for the stadium. I did not ham it up for the cameras and make promises. I don't blow with the wind. Thanks and have a happy holiday season.

Morales, Jimmy L. (DIST7

I actually got a response from the letter I sent last night...

Let me remind you that I have been consistent from day one about my opposition to using public funds for the stadium. I did not ham it up for the cameras and make promises. I don't blow with the wind. Thanks and have a happy holiday season.

Morales, Jimmy L. (DIST7

Well at least he responded.... Jerk....

Has anyone looked at the option of buying Pro Player? Lets be perfectly honest, the stadium is not bad, (although John Henry would of liked us to think so) the Marlins are just stuck with a really crappy lease. Has anyone every asked Wayne if he would be interested? Even if they cut him a deal where the Dolphins lease is next to nothing, I am sure it would be cheaper than building a new stadium. The reason I bring this up is I heard some talk during the series that Wayne wouldn't be against ever selling the Pro, because of the estate taxes on it if he ever croked (what made the Robbies sell the Dolphins). I think this should be looked at, it would be much cheaper, and you gotta admit, you can't beat the pro for location.

Has anyone looked at the option of buying Pro Player? Lets be perfectly honest, the stadium is not bad, (although John Henry would of liked us to think so) the Marlins are just stuck with a really crappy lease. Has anyone every asked Wayne if he would be interested? Even if they cut him a deal where the Dolphins lease is next to nothing, I am sure it would be cheaper than building a new stadium. The reason I bring this up is I heard some talk during the series that Wayne wouldn't be against ever selling the Pro, because of the estate taxes on it if he ever croked (what made the Robbies sell the Dolphins). I think this should be looked at, it would be much cheaper, and you gotta admit, you can't beat the pro for location.

That was my original thought. Buy it, roof it and be done with it.

Putting a roof on PPS would require major construction and would mean either the Dolphins play a complete season in the Orange Bowl and the Marlins play the last month of one season at another site OR the MAalins play 6 months of a season at another site.

Also, how much is Wayne going to ask? Can the Marlins buy into the stadium with the money they have offered? Will the Dolphins retain some ownership? Is the roof possible on the 16-year-old structure?

Putting a roof on PPS would require major construction and would mean either the Dolphins play a complete season in the Orange Bowl and the Marlins play the last month of one season at another site OR the MAalins play 6 months of a season at another site.

Also, how much is Wayne going to ask? Can the Marlins buy into the stadium with the money they have offered? Will the Dolphins retain some ownership? Is the roof possible on the 16-year-old structure?

let's face it: Wayne is looking out for Wayne. If he wanted to help the Marlins out, he wouldn't have to sell them the stadium - all he'd have to do is renegotiate the lease agreement to give the team more money. But he's decided he's going to milk this team and this city for as much as he can, and if the cost is that the Marlins have to leave South Florida, that's fine with him.

Kinda ironic that when Huizinga made the push to bring the Marlins and the Panthers into South Florida, he was heralded as the guy who wanted to bring major sporting teams to the region. Now, there's a very good chance that he will be the sole person responsible for driving one of those teams out of South Florida.

Hialeah is going to be the new partner in my opinion. Hialeah has EXCELLENT credit because they are always taking out and repaying road bonds and they already got voter approval for a ballpark in the 2000 elections.

Now if the County and Hialeah could only get along.

Hialeah sounds like a plan but where can they stick the stadium? Hialeah Race Track? Hmmm....

Then there's Hialeah race track but access is god-awful.

Why? You have the Metro Rail that has a stop right there! The Tri Rail station is right down the road. Traffic will be hell, though.

Nobody wants to see the Fish with their own stadium more than I do but can you imagine 10-15,000 cars a night trying to get in and out of there? Access to 95 , the Florida Turnpike and even 826 is, to repeat myself, awful.

I think H Bomb has more of an interest in the Marlins than he would like to admit. There is a symbiotic relationship there, since he owns JRS, he needs a tenant to help pay for it and keep up his profits (for his underachieving Dolphins). So there is an interest in helping the Marlins get a better lease and not relocating - but not until it is necessary to re-negotitiate the lease. I think the county should just buy JRS and charge the Marlins/Dolphins operating costs and at the same time providing relief in other ways. This will help both franchises maximize their profit potential. The Marlins could then channel that money they were going to commit to a new stadium to a dome on JRS. Everyone wins...

I can't believe these politicos in all 3 counties try to pass as fans, then try to smother and kill the team's future.

We need to get a petition together and put in front of these pigs noses.... Working on it :thumbup

I think H Bomb has more of an interest in the Marlins than he would like to admit. There is a symbiotic relationship there, since he owns JRS, he needs a tenant to help pay for it and keep up his profits (for his underachieving Dolphins). So there is an interest in helping the Marlins get a better lease and not relocating - but not until it is necessary to re-negotitiate the lease. I think the county should just buy JRS and charge the Marlins/Dolphins operating costs and at the same time providing relief in other ways. This will help both franchises maximize their profit potential. The Marlins could then channel that money they were going to commit to a new stadium to a dome on JRS. Everyone wins...

H. Wayne isn't a moron. He's making money hand over fist right now, why in the world would he make changes?

Nobody wants to see the Fish with their own stadium more than I do but can you imagine 10-15,000 cars a night trying to get in and out of there? Access to 95 , the Florida Turnpike and even 826 is, to repeat myself, awful.

I agree traffic will be horrible. I said it myself earlier. But access won't be "God awful" like you make it out to be.

To 826/I-75......go down Okeechobee.

There's always Metro Rail.

But it's not like the stadium is going to be in Hialeah anyways, so there really is no point in debating on it.