The Line Drive: Derek Jeter

I’m curious, as probably most know I’m not nor have I ever been a resident of Florida, what it would take for fans to show up to the games and make the team more relevant in Miami? 

Is it as simple as winning? I know in my local NHL team, Carolina Hurricanes, the increased social presence was a good start and going to the playoffs for the first time in 10 years certainly helped.

16 minutes ago, AeroFishOne said:

I’m curious, as probably most know I’m not nor have I ever been a resident of Florida, what it would take for fans to show up to the games and make the team more relevant in Miami? 

Is it as simple as winning? I know in my local NHL team, Carolina Hurricanes, the increased social presence was a good start and going to the playoffs for the first time in 10 years certainly helped.

Not as easily simple as winning, but as simple as sustained winning with real championship chances. And maybe one or two big free agent splashes but I'd much rather go with our farm system for the most part.

18 minutes ago, Michael said:

Not as easily simple as winning, but as simple as sustained winning with real championship chances. And maybe one or two big free agent splashes but I'd much rather go with our farm system for the most part.

I'd say a playoff appearance would get people to show up for those playoffs.

Sustained increased attendance - what I think Aero was referring to - I agree with what you're saying - sustained success and relatively consistent (at least every few years) playoff appearances will get more people to show up - this town shows up for winners.

1 hour ago, AeroFishOne said:

Even with a winning team, i would think off the field issues, such as accessibility to the stadium, will always hinder fans. JRS, Pro Player, etc was very accessible for fans north and south, with parking (most important IMO) being convenient. Marlins park on the other hand is in a tight spot i feel, yea there's garages (always empty, no fans, blah blah joke) but taking the 836 is always a mess because of construction. I-95 for a 7 pm game is a joke.

Living in NY for 5 years, those fans have it good, subways and the long island railroad, no traffic to deal with, parking lots, etc.

2 hours ago, CoastieMike said:

Even with a winning team, i would think off the field issues, such as accessibility to the stadium, will always hinder fans. JRS, Pro Player, etc was very accessible for fans north and south, with parking (most important IMO) being convenient. Marlins park on the other hand is in a tight spot i feel, yea there's garages (always empty, no fans, blah blah joke) but taking the 836 is always a mess because of construction. I-95 for a 7 pm game is a joke.

Living in NY for 5 years, those fans have it good, subways and the long island railroad, no traffic to deal with, parking lots, etc.

I would agree with that.

I recall years ago when the stadium first opened and there were large crowds, that it was a disaster trying to get in with the lights and whatnot.

Edited by rmc523

Immediate answer is serious playoff contention, like being a couple of wins away from clinching a playoff spot, that would get people to more games quickly. (This was proven both in 97 and 03)

Longterm answer is sustained winning and contention.

"Just" winning isn't enough as, contrary to popular belief the Marlins have had numerous winning runs here and there yet attendance wouldn't really rise in the short term.

I think the bottom line is that fans need to feel like the team has a great chance to win every single time they take the field... so that fans feel like they can watch a winning game every time they buy a ticket. Nobody buys a ticket expecting to watch a loss especially in baseball where the result of the game actually drastically alters the fan experience... being at a loss is boring, being at a win is so fun.

In South Florida this has been most noticeable with the Heat being so successful for so many years recently. Fans go there because they actually think they can see a winning team every night. Even when the Marlins have been "good" the fans still associate them with losing and thus decline to go much.