MLB Launches The Film Room

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Nope. I’m the same way

I guess someone could argue that you can watch movies again and again, but sports are different for me - they have to be watched live.

I think the useful thing about that site is for quickly finding highlights of great plays and HRs from the past as the majority of clips on there are between :30-2:00 long and they do have a huge archive going back to 1929.

But besides that, probably not something I would use all that often, just for occasional nostalgia. 😂

The only old games I can watch are significant ones like the world series clinchers or the 1993 inaugural game but even then I only watch them for the highlights and the memories, I wouldn't sit and pay attention to the full game.

I think the next logical step is YouTube (google) is going to handle all of the streaming for mlb games. Like it’ll still be on the MLB.tv app, but it will run through Googles servers like game one of this Braves series. Which I think is smart for them. Someone needs to cut into Amazon Web Service’s market.

I played around with this today and it's pretty cool to look up random historical moments, not sure how often I'd actually use this though but it's fun.

Being able to search for specific pitches and play results and even ball-strike counts for recent seasons is pretty wild though!

8 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

It is missing a lot of stuff, I wonder if they will be adding some old stuff still or if that is just going to be missing forever

I'd imagine some things get added in but most don't because I feel like it's an issue of how games were recorded in the past. The digital recordings of full games in recent years is what allows me to search up AJ Ellis' at-bat vs Clayton Kershaw when Kershaw throws a fastball with a 2-1 count in the 4th inning of a game at Dodger Stadium on a Tuesday night in 2018 (Yes you can search for that!). You just can't do the same with a Ryan Bowen vs Andres Galarraga at-bat at Joe Robbie Stadium in 1994.

• Like 1