9/9 Post Game Thread

SongInTheAir

I don't understand how everyone is ok with a team in a postseason chase giving up a game against the first place team just because we had already won the series. You try and win every game every night especially with the season so close to ending and with a better playoff seed in sight. This wasn't a blow out game in mid-May. We should not be conceding losses.

It's also not as simple as looking at the final score either. This wasn't 20-0 in the 2nd inning. Pablo didn't have it and Yamamoto didn't have it... but the Marlins went from being down 11-2 to being down 13-8 going into what was only the bottom of the 4th inning. Yamamoto should have been pulled at the first sign of trouble in the 4th inning. Go to Vesia or Smith right there. Not doing so was a complete disregard for the Marlins putting up 6 more runs in their last two innings. Mattingly just told his team that the 6 runs they just scored were meaningless. And yes Vesia and Smith both ultimately pitched poorly but you don't know that's gonna happen at that point even though you already know that Yamamoto doesn't have it. Sticking with Yamamoto in the bottom of the 4th was the biggest mistake of the game. Pull him and let someone else try to hold the Braves down. If they can't from there then fine. This wasn't an unwinnable game until later on.

And I'm not buying the save the bullpen garbage. You still ultimately used 4 relievers so I'm not sure how this saved the pen. This isn't one of those situations when it's one guy out there for 4 innings to save everyone else. And of course they could have done the position player pitching to cover the last two innings as well. Could easily call up Dugger and Castano to alleviate the pen tonight.

• Like 4

I have not read this whole thread, but if no one has mentioned it, my mind went back to 2003 and the loss to the Red Sox 25-8 seemed to be a catapult for our run that year.  The next day, without researching it, I recall being down either 8-1 or 9-1 again and then a big comeback and we won that game.  After a nightmare like last night, need to reach for historical similarities.  So, here we go-watch out Phils and the Braves will be cursed for doing what they did last night, breaking every unwritten rule (although I do not agree with any of them). 

• Like 1

Just tip your hat to the Braves and move on.  They where going to rake no matter who was on the mound that night.  

Braves rank 4th in BA and 2nd in HRs, they have had a retaliation mentality all year. I think they have more rallies than any other team right now, where the Marlins haven't even had a comeback win being down more than 3 runs at anytime.  I don't recall, if so maybe once or twice.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

I don't understand how everyone is ok with a team in a postseason chase giving up a game against the first place team just because we had already won the series. You try and win every game every night especially with the season so close to ending and with a better playoff seed in sight. This wasn't a blow out game in mid-May. We should not be conceding losses.

It's also not as simple as looking at the final score either. This wasn't 20-0 in the 2nd inning. Pablo didn't have it and Yamamoto didn't have it... but the Marlins went from being down 11-2 to being down 13-8 going into what was only the bottom of the 4th inning. Yamamoto should have been pulled at the first sign of trouble in the 4th inning. Go to Vesia or Smith right there. Not doing so was a complete disregard for the Marlins putting up 6 more runs in their last two innings. Mattingly just told his team that the 6 runs they just scored were meaningless. And yes Vesia and Smith both ultimately pitched poorly but you don't know that's gonna happen at that point even though you already know that Yamamoto doesn't have it. Sticking with Yamamoto in the bottom of the 4th was the biggest mistake of the game. Pull him and let someone else try to hold the Braves down. If they can't from there then fine. This wasn't an unwinnable game until later on.

And I'm not buying the save the bullpen garbage. You still ultimately used 4 relievers so I'm not sure how this saved the pen. This isn't one of those situations when it's one guy out there for 4 innings to save everyone else. And of course they could have done the position player pitching to cover the last two innings as well. Could easily call up Dugger and Castano to alleviate the pen tonight.

Join me at the "Don Mattingly is an awful manager and would be the worst in baseball if the Royals hadn't hired Mike Matheny" party! We need to think of a better name. 

16 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Meh, I'm okay with the three-inning save rule. The pitcher quite literally saves the bullpen by soaking up at least nine outs, which is more than most relievers are ever asked to do. 

Yes but they didn't save the game with a lead of 20 runs. There should be a maximum number of runs for 3 inning saves to count.