5 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

REALLY ???

I'm saying "should" not "could" or "will" - but yes they SHOULD. It'd be most good.

Will it happen? Probably not, but ya know. We'll see!

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Michael said:

I'm saying "should" not "could" or "will" - but yes they SHOULD. It'd be most good.

Will it happen? Probably not, but ya know. We'll see!

You should know I think you're just make fun of it to say we should to sign both Hand and Colome, because even I always said we need to sign a proven closer but most people here just didn't agree with it and think it's not worth it to give a closer over $10M a year and that's why I'm so surprised that you said we SHOULD to sign TWO proven closer that would cost us almost $20M a year. 

6 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

You should know I think you're just make fun of it to say we should to sign both Hand and Colome, because even I always said we need to sign a proven closer but most people here just didn't agree with it and think it's not worth it to give a closer over $10M a year and that's why I'm so surprised that you said we SHOULD to sign TWO proven closer that would cost us almost $20M a year. 

Given the market so far, outside of Hendriks, I don't think either of them would cost that much. Hand may but barely. Colome definitely won't. IMO.

No fun being made here. 💙

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Michael said:

Given the market so far, outside of Hendriks, I don't think either of them would cost that much. Hand may but barely. Colome definitely won't. IMO.

No fun being made here. 💙

Idk man, I think Colome is gonna get a pretty hefty contract. He made 10 mil last year and pitched great, plus he’s got closing experience (even had 47 back in 2017 with TB). That Hendricks contract shifted the curve big time!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Pretty damn good signing for the Marlins.

Add another couple of top relievers like this and that pen will be pretty fucking solid.  

Who knew that Anthony Bass, of all people, would make you a Marlins fan again?

1 hour ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Idk man, I think Colome is gonna get a pretty hefty contract. He made 10 mil last year and pitched great, plus he’s got closing experience (even had 47 back in 2017 with TB). That Hendricks contract shifted the curve big time!

Hmm ... and that was an arbitration contract (I assume) and he's been improving.

It's possible. But he will also be going into his age 32 season. Maybe whoever signs him, if they guarantee more than a year, could get him on a cheaper AAV. Or make it incentive laden.

On 1/23/2021 at 2:51 AM, SilverBullet said:

So who's locked up in the pen so far? How many more relievers do we need to be happy with the pen going into ST?

Maybe Ng thinks MLB still have to start the next season with a 30-man active roster …

Great stats on Bass here:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/marlins-reel-in-anthony-bass/

He increased the usage of his sinker up to 54% in 2020 and it’s decidedly not a swing-and-miss pitch; batters whiffed just 8.7% of the time they offered at it. But it’s true strength lies in its ability to generate tons of groundball contact. Nearly two-thirds of the balls put in play off Bass’ sinker are ground balls. Among all fastballs — four-seamers, sinkers, two-seamers, and cutters — put in play at least 25 times in 2020, his sinker’s groundball rate sat in the 94th percentile. In addition to all the whiffs, his slider was just as good as his sinker at inducing grounders. His slider’s groundball rate was nearly identical to his sinker’s and was the fifth highest among all sliders put in play at least 25 times in 2020.

With two pitches that batters regularly pound into the ground, Bass posted the sixth highest groundball rate among all qualified relievers in 2020. Even better, when batters put the ball in play off Bass, they had an expected wOBA on contact of just .244, a mark that sat in the 98th percentile. Batters simply cannot make solid contact against either of his two primary pitches. Even though his sinker holds back his strikeout potential, the combination of his batted ball profile with his deadly slider has earned him plenty of success the past two years.

Edited by Photo-Realistic Billy
  • Like 2