Players Union Rejects DH and Expanded Playoffs

Admin

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Why doesn't the union want the expanded playoffs though? Or am I misunderstanding that part of it?

They see expanded playoffs as a bargaining chip cause it means more to MLB than it does to the players. Union gets a cut of the new revenue but MLB gets the bulk. It also means teams may not spend as much since more teams can sneak into playoffs and don't need to be as good.

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

They see expanded playoffs as a bargaining chip cause it means more to MLB than it does to the players. Union gets a cut of the new revenue but MLB gets the bulk. It also means teams may not spend as much since more teams can sneak into playoffs and don't need to be as good.

Ah ok, that makes sense, thanks for clarifying. Do you work for the union since you know so much?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

It also means teams may not spend as much since more teams can sneak into playoffs and don't need to be as good.

A little bit on a tangent but still somewhat related to teams not having to be as good... I saw someone mention to prevent tanking the draft order should be changed from reverse order of the standings to "closest team to a playoff spot" gets first pick and work their way down from there. That way there's incentive to be competitive and zero incentive to being last place. This should happen.

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

So they're still discussing this meaning the decision still isn't finalized. Gotta clarify that.

Also it technically could go down to Opening Day, last year the expanded playoffs announcement happened right before season began.

Though teams would obviously like to know DH plans sooner than that.

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Also it technically could go down to Opening Day, last year the expanded playoffs announcement happened right before season began.

Though teams would obviously like to know DH plans sooner than that.

I understand that negotiations can be very fluid and can take many twists and turns but teams should be livid that a decision that greatly affects roster construction isn't finalized by a set date.

Plenty of other topics can be finalized last minute but not the DH one.

24 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

There's also this side of it too... fringe contenders might actually spend more A) knowing that they have more of a chance to get in the playoffs and B) to aim for higher than a Wild Card spot for a better seed. Expanded playoffs could lead to less tanking from middle to low ground teams.

The Loria-era Miami Marlins would have been all over expanded playoffs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

I'm confused on what the union wants there.

More money.  That's it.  They want a bigger share of playoff revenues.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I understand that negotiations can be very fluid and can take many twists and turns but teams should be livid that a decision that greatly affects roster construction isn't finalized by a set date.

Plenty of other topics can be finalized last minute but not the DH one.

Conversely the players should be mad too because many players (guys like Nelson Cruz) could have 15 more suitors if there were a universal DH.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

what 'bout the man at second base in extra innings that shit gots to go. das bush beer league crap there

I kinda like it. So many extra inning games are guys just trying to blast dingers on the first pitch. This rule adds in a bunch of NL-type strategy options. Pinch-running, bunting, sac flies, squeezes -- there's a lot of baseball innovation that can and does take place with this rule. It's fun!

4 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I kinda like it. So many extra inning games are guys just trying to blast dingers on the first pitch. This rule adds in a bunch of NL-type strategy options. Pinch-running, bunting, sac flies, squeezes -- there's a lot of baseball innovation that can and does take place with this rule. It's fun!

Angry Black And White GIF

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Nah. I'm not ok with your closer coming in for the 10th inning and getting a blown save by giving up a bloop single.

That's not strategy, that's a cheap win.

The point of that rule is to speed up games that are dragging and taking too long. What's one extra inning or two anyways? If they want that rule I say it doesn't go in effect until the 13th inning because at that point every batter has had a chance to bat in extras and at that point you can be more concerned with a game being too long.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Nah. I'm not ok with your closer coming in for the 10th inning and getting a blown save by giving up a bloop single.

That's not strategy, that's a cheap win.

The point of that rule is to speed up games that are dragging and taking too long. What's one extra inning or two anyways? If they want that rule I say it doesn't go in effect until the 13th inning because at that point every batter has had a chance to bat in extras and at that point you can been more concerned with a game being too long.

Starting in the 13th inning would be much more acceptable. What percentage of extra inning games ever even reach the 13th anyways?

• Like 1