3/26 vs Astros - 6:05 p.m.

SonOfJack

So as a fan of them fancified analytics, I know I shouldn't care about the batting order (studies have should that batting your cleanup hitter 9th and pitcher 3rd costs you only a few runs per year), but I've always been bothered by Dickerson batting leadoff (given his overly aggressive approach and lack of speed).

But then I had an epiphany, a literal thought in the shower. Dickerson is also the batter most likely to start the game with a 12-pitch marathon at bat, giving Marte and the rest of the hitters a chance to see all the pitcher's pitches -- to say nothing of how those kinds of at bats can frustrate or tire that pitcher 1 batter in, potentially putting the pitcher off his game.

I think this rationale makes sense in the realm of batting Miggy leadoff too. Both guys have solid OBP and a chance to stretch out the at bat with tons of foul balls.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

So as a fan of them fancified analytics, I know I shouldn't care about the batting order (studies have should that batting your cleanup hitter 9th and pitcher 3rd costs you only a few runs per year), but I've always been bothered by Dickerson batting leadoff (given his overly aggressive approach and lack of speed).

But then I had an epiphany, a literal thought in the shower. Dickerson is also the batter most likely to start the game with a 12-pitch marathon at bat, giving Marte and the rest of the hitters a chance to see all the pitcher's pitches -- to say nothing of how those kinds of at bats can frustrate or tire that pitcher 1 batter in, potentially putting the pitcher off his game.

I think this rationale makes sense in the realm of batting Miggy leadoff too. Both guys have solid OBP and a chance to stretch out the at bat with tons of foul balls.

Nice points.  While I would never agree to a pitcher in the 3rd spot, one downfall for that would be that a pitcher is more vulnerable the second and third time around so having your cleanup hitter batting 9th would be less beneficial as he may get 2 at bats while the pitcher gets 3.