Steroids among Marlins?

hot4beckett

I really dont think that steroid use is as rampant in baseball as the media would have you believe. I think one reason names arent being revealed is because that there really arent that many guys that tested positive and those that have are not that significant. Could BOnds be on roids? Sure. McGwire too - but he was big when he was coming up.

Mordecai made the most sense in that piece. Guys who do steroids are not all a sudden going from 10 homeruns to 50. And they are not guranteed to hit .300. That is the beauty of this sport - guys like John Kruk and Tony Gwynn could play and be all stars. Physical prowess is no indication of success in baseball.

I dont think Brown did steroids. I wont be shocked if it turns out he did though. I do thing his physical training regimen put a lot of stress on building up arm strength and as a result put stress on his elbows/joints. I think this is not the sort of physical training necessary for pitchers - focus should be on the legs and being in good cardiovascular shape. And just throw, throw, throw...

Physical prowess is no indication of success in baseball.

cough Rob Stratton cough

I'm torn on this issue as well.

For guys like Sosa and Bonds, I think Mark Grace summed it up best when he said, "It doesn't matter if he (Sosa) is juicing or not. Instead of hitting it 500, it's going to go 520."

To do well in baseball, you HAVE to have natural talent. It's a must. You can't teach someone (at least very much) to be patient at the plate, see the ball early, and steroids can't put the bat on the ball. Bonds, Sammy and others take steroids only so they can continue that talent longer than they would be able to without. Mark Grace, Matt Williams, Joe Girardi, ect. have all fallen down because as they have aged they have deteriorated. At one time they were the best at what they did, but they opted not to do steroids, and as a result had shorter careers (as good players).

Bottom line, you have to have the talent in you to be good. Steroids can't put the bat on the ball for you, but they can help you stay great longer. That's about it.

Physical prowess is no indication of success in baseball.

cough Rob Stratton cough

I'm torn on this issue as well.

For guys like Sosa and Bonds, I think Mark Grace summed it up best when he said, "It doesn't matter if he (Sosa) is juicing or not. Instead of hitting it 500, it's going to go 520."

To do well in baseball, you HAVE to have natural talent. It's a must. You can't teach someone (at least very much) to be patient at the plate, see the ball early, and steroids can't put the bat on the ball. Bonds, Sammy and others take steroids only so they can continue that talent longer than they would be able to without. Mark Grace, Matt Williams, Joe Girardi, ect. have all fallen down because as they have aged they have deteriorated. At one time they were the best at what they did, but they opted not to do steroids, and as a result had shorter careers (as good players).

Bottom line, you have to have the talent in you to be good. Steroids can't put the bat on the ball for you, but they can help you stay great longer. That's about it. Then that would be a good thing, wouldnt it?

i'm pretty sure pudge used them.

one thing i've noticed about all these huge players, is that they don't have to hit the ball well to hit it out. they are so freakishly strong that they can hit a pop up out of the park. that's not a case of sill there, but of brute strength.

Kevin Brown is or was definately on steriods. Look at pictures of him in a marlins uniform and then in a dodgers uniform. It may have made him stronger, but it probably also led to his arm troubles.

If he takes steroids he is stupid.

Pitchers cant have much muscles on the their Biceps. It will injure the pitcher and he will not throw as hard as they are capable of.

I somewhat agree with the fact that a player has to have the natural talent. Sure, it could just mean that a Barry Bonds homerun travels 520 vs 500, but for other guys it could mean a warning track out vs a ball that goes over the fence.

You definitely do need to have the raw talent to be great in this game, but steroids are not good for the game. MLB has the players' interests at heart here, in my opinion. If a player's body starts giving up (Grace, Matt Williams) after a certain time, then they have to deal with it. That's life. In addition, what happens when the guys who are juicing up turn 50? We've all seen the long term effects steroid use can do to a person...They're illegal for a reason...