Everything posted by pollythewog
-
Today we turn it around...
Let's hope so. I'll be at the Mets game Friday getting beer poured on me (hopefully). I'll probably be there as well. What seats do you have? Mets fans are the worst baseball fans on earth.
-
5/24 Tampa Bay Rays @ Florida Marlins
nice swing hermida.....
-
Fredi watch
Why is everyone blaming Wiley and not a single word is said about the hitting coach? I know Nolasco blew up yesterday, but to me, the awful hitting is just as much to blame for this 8-23 streak as the pitching...maybe moreso. All I see are players not making any adjustments and striking out waaay too much. I'm not a big believer in putting a ton of blame on coaches, but someone has to take the fall for this team's awful play...the hitting coach seems like a good place to start. Boni, Maybin and Coghlan are the primary causes for the poor offense and Beinfest, not the hitting coach, deserves the blame for having Boni, Maybin and Coghlan in the lineup. I think uggla has certainly had a primary role in our offensive struggles. Ross hasn't been so great either.
-
Nolasco to AAA
West's 4.9 era is inflated from a 9 runs in 3 innings game on May 1st. He's has been pretty good his last couple games giving up 2 runs on 7 hits in his last 2 starts (11.2 innings). But yes, it's probably a year too soon.... He has had massive walk problems (last 5 starts: 20 walks in 25.1inn, and no, that's not just due to one bad start, and he's given up 9 blasts on the year, averaging nearly per 9 inn. Not happy about him being up. 7 of those HRs have come in only 2 games with 4 from that 9 run game. The other 2 home runs were solo homer runs so no big deal. He's cut down on the walks his last 2 appearances. My real point is judging a pitcher by his era can sometimes be deceiving (matt lindstrom for instance), and I think that is the case with West. I'm not particularly thrilled either, but I don't think he wail fail miserably.
-
Fredi watch
For all the complaining about Fredi it's for the most part players in Mark Wiley's charge that have failed this team. Who has failed besides Nolasco that wasn't bad to begin with (i.e. Pinto, you can't change all the players all the time)? JJ, Kiko, Meyer, Leo, and Volstad are all pitching the best they have. Meyer is the most note worthy since he was junk before coming here and almost every single other team passed up on him. Lindstrom has had one bad outing that completely blows up his line. You can't "take away" what a guy has done, his season line to this point is what he has done to this point, but outside of that one game he has a 1.10 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, showing that he's not somebody to worry about Andrew was battling an oblique injury in all starts but one, and in that one he lit it up. Yeah, the injury is because of the mechanics change, but it's about the greater good. Penn has either shown brilliance or incompetence, but again, he was junk before coming here. And all the other guys are just AAAA or whatever you want to label them, Koronka, Kensing, Taylor, ect. You can't turn every guy into gold. So I mean, the one guy who's failing under him that shouldn't be is also the guy who had the breakout year last year in part thanks to him. I agree except regarding Lindstrom. He was coming off an injury and had no business in the closing role until he was 100%. It cost us a couple games and also gave him his "inflated" era. That is on Fredi.
-
Nolasco to AAA
West's 4.9 era is inflated from a 9 runs in 3 innings game on May 1st. He's has been pretty good his last couple games giving up 2 runs on 7 hits in his last 2 starts (11.2 innings). But yes, it's probably a year too soon....
-
May 22, 2009 Rays @ Marlins 7:10
okay i'm out. later guys.
-
May 22, 2009 Rays @ Marlins 7:10
Way to swing at something nowhere near the zone.... thats the marlins MO
-
May 22, 2009 Rays @ Marlins 7:10
here we go again
-
May 22, 2009 Rays @ Marlins 7:10
another hanging breaking ball...
-
May 22, 2009 Rays @ Marlins 7:10
I wonder if a real LFer plays that ball better. it looked like he jumped AFTER the ball hit the wall. a real LFer at least saves one run.
-
May 22, 2009 Rays @ Marlins 7:10
good job guys. *yawn*
-
May 22, 2009 Rays @ Marlins 7:10
oh nolasco. please pitch strikes for once
-
May 22, 2009 Rays @ Marlins 7:10
God, Chris drives me crazy out there. That was smashed and not an easy play. he did take a rather circuitous route on a routine play
-
May 22, 2009 Rays @ Marlins 7:10
are you kidding me?
-
May 22, 2009 Rays @ Marlins 7:10
nice catch coggie
-
Post Game after party! 5/21
We lost a four game series to a crappy opponent. It's time for a major team enema. No, we lost a four game series to Mark Reynolds. No, we lost a four game series due to terrible situational hitting (and lack of offense this game), errors, poor starting pitching and a bad bullpen. I hate to say it, but it all adds up to us not being that good of a baseball team.
-
What major changes does this team need?
I know everyone is upset with the result tonight, but fact is, we need more of what we saw tonight. By that, I mean, we need starters getting deep into games. The bullpen is already fatigued. However, I think our bullpen has shown that it can be more than solid. They are just tired. Don't forget, Martinez (who blew the game tonight) was an emergency callup just because of that. Even he looked good...he just so happened to make 1 mistake, and when you're on a losing skid, as we are, sh*t happens. I'll trade tonight's loss, if it means that we will see an Andrew Miller similar to the one we saw tonight. Hopefully, Nolasco follows this up with a similar start, tomorrow. As for the offense, there are some positive signs. As Fredi said, the offense was pretty solid in this series. Sure, they still have a lot of work to do, but as long as there are reasons to be optimistic. Uggla showed signs with his 3 HR's, Cody is hitting the ball better (although a hit last night in the clutch would've been nice...meh, whatever). Also as hard as I've been on Bonifacio(ut), I'm going to agree with the supporters now in saying that he is, at least, showing SOME improvement. He seems to be bunting better...anyone notice? We saw 16 strikeouts tonight, more abysmal situational hitting, only 3 runs against a last place team in our stadium, and a bad outing by a call-up in the pen who is only in there because of the unacceptable situational hitting the previous night. Do you really want to see more of this?
-
What major changes does this team need?
guys I think it's time to admit we're just not that good of a team. We just lost 3 of 4 to the last place dbacks at home. We're 8-22 since the 11-1 start (6 wins against the nats). Our situational hitting is abysmal. Our defense is still subpar. Our starting pitching is bleh (besides JJ and volstad). Our bullpen has overachieved and the fatigue is now showing. Our manager has not made the best choices more than a few times. It all adds up to a below mediocre team, unfortunately, which is really showing itself in multiple facets. I really hope we can turn this around, but at this point I just don't see it happening.
-
May 20 8:40 Pm ARI Vs Marlins
can someone tell me how off those last two pitches were? I didn't really think they were... and if they were, not by much. he's calling the outside corner to left handers, but not calling the same exact pitch in the same spot (inside) if it's a right hander.
-
May 20 8:40 Pm ARI Vs Marlins
bad job penn!
-
May 20 8:40 Pm ARI Vs Marlins
good job penn!
-
May 20 8:40 Pm ARI Vs Marlins
again with the outside corner pitch that hes calling a strike now
-
May 20 8:40 Pm ARI Vs Marlins
1st pitch strike to lopez was the same pitch the ump called a ball to talk the pitcher
-
May 20 8:40 Pm ARI Vs Marlins
I don't think there's anything we can do. We'll just have to wait for them to allow us access to the game. do you know if its blacked out? negative. i watched the first game just fine. I feel like it's some error on mlb tvs end, but I can't find any customer service