Everything posted by fauowls44
-
Your top 3 current sitcoms
1. 30 Rock (The best network comedy since Arrested Development) 2. Scrubs 3. How I met Your Mother My Name is Earl, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Office, and The New Adventures of Old Christine are all great as well.
-
Stadium funding update
Am I invisible? Its not for the next two weeks, its next tuesday! Thats the big day. If it doesnt get passed in the committee then its done in the senate. Ok fine, Tuesday then...sorry! :whistle The sooner the better.
-
Stadium funding update
This could really go either way, there is no way to judge at this point. For the next two weeks there will be all sorts of rhetoric on this subject and I wouldn't put much stock in any of it. Last year, nobody expected the issue to be heard and then it ends up passing in the Senate right at the last minute. This will once again go down to the wire. Hopefully things break our way for once.
-
Stadium funding update
Well I guess being temporarily postponed is better than not getting passed. I know that it was reported that Sen. Garcia was trying to get it postponed after Diaz de la Portilla balked yesterday so hopefully this is a good thing rather than trying to get something that wouldn't pass heard in committee. As for the House bill, can someone explain what is going on as far as the readings and what that means and when it will be heard? Thanks
-
Stadium funding update
I read that this morning. I wonder how much the Senator received for his "gut check". I'm so sick of these politicians changing their support everyother day. One day they are all standing there pledging their support and the next, some special interest group gets in their ear and they run the other way. This can't get resolved soon enough, i'm tired of all of these articles. As for the proposals, I suppose it really doesn't matter which one gets passed, as they essentially accomplish the same thing. I wasn't aware that the $100 million lump sum plan was even an option before this story came out.
-
Borowski blasts South Florida fans
What he said was true....I just don't need to hear it from Joe Borowski. You're in Cleveland, please leave us down here alone.
-
Marlins interested in Jose Capellan
I read that this morning. It is interesting that they would want "something big" in return for a pitcher they didn't deem worthy of carrying on their 25 man roster.
-
Green about to get traded to the Dolphins
I don't have a problem with this move so long as they have a long term plan at the QB position. It is obvious that Cameron and Mueller don't believe that Culpepper is either ever going to be healthy enough again to be a reliable starting QB or that he the right fit for this team. Green at least fits Cameron's offensive system and can help teach it to a young QB. If it happens to be Quinn, great, but I think the most likely scenario is taking a QB in the 2nd round, either Stanton or Edwards.
-
HB1079 passes favorably in Economic Expansion & Infrastructure Cou
Finally a Senate update. SB 544 has been added to the agenda for the Transportation and Economic Development Appropriations committee for Tuesday the 17th. This bill is a Marlins-only bill. The House bill that has been moving through committees is a bill that would apply to all Florida teams. Does anyone know what happens if the Senate and House pass different bills? I assume they would have to negotiate and agree to one bill.
-
HB1079 passes favorably in Economic Expansion & Infrastructure Cou
Anyone know what is going on in the Senate?
-
HB1079 passes favorably in Economic Expansion & Infrastructure Cou
The bill passed the committee, not sure of the yays and nays, but it did pass favorably.
-
HB1079 passes favorably in Economic Expansion & Infrastructure Cou
No, if the vote passes the bill goes to the floor of the House for a final vote.
-
HB1079 passes favorably in Economic Expansion & Infrastructure Cou
good news, but how many times does this thing have to pass? it seems like it will never become official That is how bills become laws. The go from committees to the floor to the desk of the executive. Has this been voted on by the committee yet? Is there a live feed?
-
"He's still our man"
Those who are saying this trade make sense in principle are still completely wrong. Even if you ignore the fact that Julio is awful: With multiple injuries to the starting rotation the Marlins trade away an arm that has potential to start. In return they receive an arm for a position that in essence did not need to be filled because a handful of arms already in the organization have pleased scouts and have actually earned the job in spring training. On top of that, the Marlins make this newly acquired player the third highest paid on the team, even though the skills he allegedly would bring to the team were already present within the depths of the organization. That is ignoring the quality of either talent of course. This trade made no sense from the beginning and I see no way of justifying it. I can't argue with you on the fact that Julio is awful. He has been terrible so far and there is no getting around it. However, if you think that losing Petit is any type of loss or that he was or was every going to be a viable option to start for us then you are completely wrong. You say that you knew before the trade that Julio would suck. You must have also watched Petit pitch as well. How could you not have come to that same conclusion about him? He is a medicore pitcher at best with average stuff at best. Soft tossing right handers just don't succeed at this level very often. He is basically Brian Meadows with more hype because he was in the Mets farm system. He had no potential to start with the Marlins. He had obviously already been passed by Vanden Hurk (who was quite clearly not ready to pitch in the Majors last night) in the eyes of the FO, and was about to be passed by about 6 other pitchers currently in Jupiter. The rationale behind the trade was solid. In the end we took a chance that cost us bascially nothing of any irreplacable value. You can find another Petit whenever you want. Julio may not be very good, time will tell, but i'm making that trade every time without blinking an eye.
-
"He's still our man"
To steal a line from Dan LeBetard or Boog Sciambi(I think that they both use this expression), you are all playing the result here, and that isn't the real issue. Sometimes good moves turn out poorly, but it doesn't mean it wasn't a good move. Sometimes bad moves turn out good. Jack McKeon twice made moves in 2003 that resulted in Mike Lowell being replaced in extra innings by Mike Mordecai. He ended up hitting game winning home runs, but the moves were still idiotic. Trading a middling pitching prospect with average MLB stuff for a potential closer that can help you this year is a move I'd make every time. Obviously Julio isn't working out right now. He's pitching awfully and shouldn't be counted on to close games. I see it, you all see it, Beinfest and Gonzalez see it, and I doubt you'll see Julio in a close game again until he throws at least 1 scoreless inning of middle relief. That still doesn't make it the wrong move to make.
-
Focus is now on both downtown sites
If you recall, when all the focus was on Hialeah I told you guys to focus on downtown miami, and now Loria is stating that downtown is the preferred site. 1 - It is not such a done deal that the Canes are leaving the OB. 2- The revenue the canes would make at JRS has been reported incorrectly. 3- The same way MLB killed Hialeah, they are planning on killing the Orange bowl site. MLB wants downtown. 4- The initial downtown site is back on the table. ( that site is bigger than the courthouse site) 5- The clock is ticking on Loria. A couple of questions: So what you are saying is that this is Loria's last chance to get this thing done and if it doesn't MLB forces him to sell before MLB allows the team to relocate? I certainly hope so. This puts the pressure on Loria to step up and cover the remaining gap should the State money fail to come through again. Also, the original downtown site is the one that includes land that the Miami Arena currently occupies? And I hope that UM moves regardless if we build on the OB site or not. Wouldn't that opning additional funds to the Fish?
-
Game 5 Pics
I wasn't there tonight, but it seems like it was a fun game to attend. Only problem I have with the give away is that nobody probably thought of what 'waving the white flag' can be taken to mean....luckily the Marlins didn't surrender.
-
Bullpen
Jeez, can we all calm down for a minute and at least give Julio a week before deciding he has to go? I know a lot of you just don't think he's very good, and he certainly looked awful yesterday, but are we going to have a "get rid of so-and-so" thread after every loss or every time someone gives up a run? I'm not the biggest Julio fan in the world, but i'm willing to give him more than then the inning and a third he has pitched so far this year.
-
HB1079 passes favorably in Economic Expansion & Infrastructure Cou
i talk to guy office that trying pass this rebate bill their not working this week their few meeting going on this week Huh?
-
Game 3 Thoughts
Julio stunk, but I started getting a bad feeling about the game when De Aza was on 3rd with one out and didn't score in the 9th. You can't away runs like that and win. As for Julio, I don't blame Fredi. It's the 3rd game of the season. You can't say the guy is your closer and then yank him at the first sign of trouble. Looking back at the inning he gave up 2 bloopers and an error. Not to say it wasn't a disappointing performance, but i'm not going to jump off a bridge just yet.
-
Marlins Stadium Bills Advance
Cape, we'll have to disagree, although characterizing MLB as potentially being "angry" misunderstands the situation. It becomes, a nothing personal, business decision, that's all. As for who's doing the lobbying and who is putting forth a plan, it's all MLB (with the Marlins consent, in exactly the same way it went in DC), and the county through it's delegation, and should be. The tax rebate, which represents approximately $30 million in upfront money can be dealt with by the interested parties collectively if need be but shift the balance of things towards the city as they extort whatever favors and promises they can pass on to their cronies in exchange for their share, therein creating the deal-killer. My fear is that this bill before committee today shuts Dade County out of applying and collecting a second rebate for the Marlins to use towards this new ballpark because of DS being certified for the Marlins one time. Would that bill as written allow MDC to collect the rebate? I think it would, but it seems like I am missing where the staff analysis says it would be allowed. I could be wrong, but doesn't the fact that the bill is being co-sponsored by Miami Rep. Garcia answer that? He wouldn't co-sponsor it Miami wasn't going to benefit?
-
Dave Krynzel has been outrighted by Arizona
What has impressed you most about him? His .231/.314/.359 line last year in AAA? I'd rather stick with De Aza and his potential. It would be different if we were talking about a big talent like Dukes or something, but we don't need more 25 year old 4th and 5th OFs. We already have Cody Ross and Borchard on the roster and Reed in AAA.
-
well i just got my opening day tix...
You didn't expect opening day tickets to be hard to get? No matter how bad attendence is, the opener is almost always sold out....in pretty much every mlb park. I suggest buying tickets earlier next time or better yet, get a season ticket plan and you'll get good seats for a bunch of games.
-
Latest Comments on New Stadium
Juan Martinez from the Marlins was just interviewed in spanish radio (by Jerry del Castillo) Some points of interest: - MLB is set on Downtown site, they don't like the OB site at all - Minute Maid ballpark was built on 8.25 acres. so 9 acres are adequate to build the new ballpark - If the City keeps pushing the OB, Juan thinks MLB will revert back to the Hialeah site - Juan refered to the OB as a potential Miami Arena V2 Was anything said about how things are going in Tally?
-
Latest Comments on New Stadium
I have been following this saga for quite a while now. I am not here to flame but from what I have observed, MLB is dedicated to getting the right deal for the Fish to stay in SFLA. Not just any deal......but the right deal. It appears that once again the politicos are making a football of this deal. If that is the case, MLB WILL eventually run out of patience and give up on ever getting the right deal. At that point the club leaves......imho. you were doing fine til the last part flamer :banghead This deal will eventually get done. MLB wants it, the team wants it, and the city and county want it. Hopefully in the next month the state will decide that it wants it. Location is important, but it is secondary at this point to the funding. Once that gets worked out, where to build will work itself out as well.