Everything posted by fauowls44
-
Pacers-Warriors Trade
Certainly a lot of names. I'm not sure if this makes either team any better...just different.
-
Pete Hernandez on Comcast re:Stadium
I know very little about the Miami area, minus some of the burbs I've been around getting to the current stadium and the Keys. What is this new site going to do for transit times from Central Florida? I'd say you'd be driving for another 15 minutes. There won't be any traffic at all heading south on I-95 before game time, but you won't have the convenience of hopping on the Turnpike from where you live and having it spit you out right at the stadium. Of course avoiding 70 miles' worth of tolls and hordes of FHP isn't necessarily a bad thing... LOL Maybe in Miami the traffic isn't bad going south at that time. But taking I95 up here in that time frame heading either direction is a parking lot. Turnpike is the only route to take. Time it right and you don't hit much real heavy traffic until in Broward. What would that exit be off I95? I'm gonna have to drive it one day this coming week at the appropriate time to feel it out before I pass judgement. But I have always been against a downtown site. I just see no sense in moving further away from the counties that have the most disposable income and are the fastest growing. And the maps with the overlays show no parking. Gonna throw mass transit in? Add another 30-45 minutes each way over your estimated 15 minutes to travel times. Not bad if you are retired but I doubt very much most bosses would understand his employees having to leave work at 3:00-3:30 every day to be able to make the games. People make it on time for Heat games. I doubt there would be too many more problems with a baseball stadium. Yes, there are more people attending baseball, but if the site is downtown, many people would be coming from work and may not even have to take a car to the game. If the start time is 7:30 and you leave Palm Beach or Broward by 6, you'll get to the game in time. The traffic going south at that time is probably 20 times less than what it is going north. My route, which is the same as the one I take to get to the AAA, would be Turnpike South, get on 95 south at the Golden Glades, then either get off at 395 and exit at Biscayne, or take 95 south to the following exit (8th street) I believe. With little traffic, it would probably take me, coming from South Palm Beach county about 40-50 minutes as it does for most heat games. With traffic (and this would be the case for any site) probably 1hr-1hr 20minutes. I'm willing to live with that in order to save the franchise....I'll just go to a couple less games, but at least I will still have the option.
-
Pete Hernandez on Comcast re:Stadium
There is more than enough land at Bicentenial Park, like 100 yards north of the AAA. That is where the stadium was going to be built when John Henry was ruining this franchise. About a million other groups claim to have better uses for that land, many of them must be politically powerful because it is never even brought up anymore. Other than closer to my house in boca, it would have been the best place to build it....great view, somewhat easy access in and out, would have created a nice entertainment district with the AAA (much like other cities such as cleveland and I think atlanta have).... Anyway, just built the damn thing already. There has never been this many positive signs regarding the issue...mlb has to move to do this quickly.
-
Marlins sign Felix Rodriguez
I've always liked his arm. If he's healthy, this is a good signing.
-
Heat vs Seattle
Well, let me restate: I think if you take the 2 best players off every team in the league, the Heat would be one of the 5 worst teams in the league. They have only 2 players who can create offense on any kind of consistent basis. This is not true of most teams. It is a testament to their ability as role players that I think the addition of Wade is enough to elevate this cast of misfits from a sub 10 win team to a 50 win team. But they are completely incapable of winning games on their own. There are very few teams that are THAT helpless when missing their 2 best players. And, more to the point, there is probably no other title contender that would flat out suck that much if you took away their 2 best players. I'm not really trying to compare the Heat to the Atlanta Hawks or whatever, who have no good players to begin with. I don't know why this gets you so upset, so I'll just drop it. I'm inclined to agree. Take 2 of a team's best players away and ANY team struggles. Maybe some teams don't look as terrible, but take a team's top 2 away and nobody wins many games, let alone anything meaningful. THe Heat struggle more than most though because EVERYTHING they do is built around Wade and Shaq...it's just the way this team is constructed. That isn't a bad thing, in fact it is a very good thing when they are both available. When just Wade is available, he is good enough to win games by himself, but take both away and you have no shot. We've seen it this year...with no Wade, the team competes for a half, maybe 3 quarters, but they cannot overcome the loss of the 30 ppg. The problem this year is health mainly and also Toine. It may be a different story if Walker had not seemingly lost all his basketball skill since last season, but since he has looked nothing like a 3 time all star and career 20 ppg scorer, the Heat is where it is right now.
-
New Stadium Article
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16412944.htm Marlins stadium plan would use CRA fundsBY CHARLES RABIN, MATTHEW HAGGMAN AND MICHAEL VASQUEZ crabin@MiamiHerald.com The latest plan to build the cash-strapped Florida Marlins a new stadium in downtown Miami involves using millions of dollars of money meant to improve blighted neighborhoods. It also calls for the city of Miami to deed property to Miami-Dade County so the Marlins -- which would lease the stadium -- could receive a tax break. And it requires money, once again, from the state Legislature. ''They're looking at the Park West/Overtown CRA boundary that stops a block from where the site is,'' said Miami-Dade tax collector Ian Yorty, the county's point man for stadium negotiations. ``The city has plans to expand the boundary.'' Money from a Community Redevelopment Agency, by law, must be used to spur economic development in ''blighted'' neighborhoods. Tax money created from a CRA stays inside the district. Word of the new stadium plan infuriated some community members, such as Overtown's Irby McKnight, who said the CRA has yet to build a single home in Overtown. ''I'm just looking at this in amazement,'' he said. ``We'll remember this on Election Day.'' Miami Commissioner and CRA Chairwoman Michelle Spence-Jones declined to comment. But Miami Mayor Manny Diaz described using CRA money to build a new ballpark as money well spent. He believes a baseball stadium would anchor redevelopment on the downtown's western flank, much like the Carnival Center for the Performing Arts, which receives $1.43 million yearly from the CRA, has spurred development on the city's eastern edge. ''I think it will bring a tremendous number of jobs, both directly and indirectly, and create substantial economic activity that will benefit the district,'' Diaz said. Far from a done deal, Marlins executives and Major League Baseball are undertaking a new study to determine updated costs to build on a nine-acre plot of land just north of the Stephen P. Clark Center. The site between Interstate 95 and Biscayne Boulevard and just north of Northeast Third Street is owned by the city and the county. The plan is for the city to deed its part of the property to the county, so it can lease it to the Marlins with tax exemptions. Marlins representatives would not comment on the new plans. But officials say they are more hopeful than ever because, this time, Major League Baseball is front and center in the negotiations. Bob Dupuy, Major League Baseball's president and chief operating officer, told MLB.com Sunday night that ``Our highest priority this winter is to get a ballpark deal done in Miami.'' Even with money from Miami's Community Redevelopment Agency, the new plan still requires cash infusions from the city, the county and the state Legislature. The goal is to have a plan in place to pass along to city and county commissioners before the legislative session begins in March. The state Legislature has never been kind to the Marlins, who, despite winning two World Series in the past decade, boast the National League's lowest attendance and baseball's lowest payroll. John Henry, who now owns the Boston Red Sox, gave up on the club in 2002 after state legislators, in the waning moments of two sessions, failed to act on bills that would have closed a funding gap enough to build a ballpark. Still, Miami state Rep. Carlos Lopez-Cantera said Monday he will sponsor a bill this year to provide a $60 million subsidy for the stadium project. He said he's ''cautiously optimistic'' that the request will pass. Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, like Henry before him, says he's stuck in a no-win lease agreement at Dolphin Stadium, where most concession revenues go to ballpark owner and Miami Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga. The club and Major League Baseball also insist that a retractable roof is needed so fans aren't scared away from the stadium during the region's late-afternoon summer thunderstorms. No one on Monday, though, was willing to discuss the necessary financing. Yorty said that until the team and MLB come forward with new numbers, it would be premature to address costs. The most recent figure tossed around was $420 million to build next to the Orange Bowl -- but that plan fizzled in September 2005 when the city, the county and the Marlins parted ways after the Legislature failed to fill a $30 million shortfall. Back then, the parties planned on using several sources to pay for a 38,000-seat retractable-roof stadium: $138 million from the county, $28 million from Miami, $32 million from parking revenues, and $192 million from the Marlins. The Marlins would not have actually put up that much money. The plan called for the county to bond out most of it through hotel bed tax dollars, and to be repaid by the Marlins yearly, mainly through gate receipts. When that plan failed, Loria traded several of the team's best players and cut the payroll to $15 million. The New York Yankees, in contrast, have a payroll that annually hovers around $200 million. Diaz vows to trudge on. ''This is a priority for me. It always has been. We all have a will to get the deal done and are working very hard,'' he said. Miami Herald staff writers Barry Jackson and Marc Caputo contributed to this report.
-
Great ballpark news!!!!
We've been here before, multiple times. I'll believe it when I see it. Only thing that I find of interest in this article is that MLB believes it can find a way to get financing without state money. I'm with you on only believing it when it....however, the fact that a high ranking MLB official is that optimistic that something will happen soon is encouraging news.
-
Mothers of Fallen Soldiers Visit Iraq
That title makes it sound like the mothers of US soldiers were killed in Iraq. Glad that wasn't the case.
-
Charlie the Unicorn
I thought it was hilarious....I guess it just depends on your sense of humor. I mean, yeah it's really, really dumb....but that is what made it funny.
-
Gov Elect Crist interview broadcast 12/3
Charlie Crist used to work for MLB?? What was his job? I believe he was legal counsel for Minor League Baseball....if I remember correctly.
-
Lastings Milledge
Since there isnt really anything else to talk about I decided to post this...Is Milledge still an option? With the Mets losing out on Zito their rotation isnt looking good. With his value alot lower than it was and the Mets desperate for pitching I dont think he would cost one of the top guys. What do you guys think he would cost? Would any one be interested in the idea of getting him? Ive noticed alot of people are down on him ( maybe not here but most baseball fans in general), are there any real reasons why? Any way just trying to get other peoples thoughts on this. They would need something MLB ready because they are a contender. They'd need one of the top 4 starters in any sort of trade for him or it's not worth it to them. 95% of the board hates the idea of moving Dontrelle for him, but if they throw in Pelfrey and Heilman too, that's to good to turn down for me. I have to agree. If they offer Miledge, Pelfrey and Heilman, the Marlins would probably need to do that deal. There are no indictations that the Mets are willing to do that though, so it's all speculation. Pelfrey was also shut down while pitching in the AFL so that is a concern. If, in fact, the Mets want Willis as badly as people seem to think let's wait them out and try to get Miledge, Pelfrey and Humber. Far-fetched, but they are the ones in need of starting pitching, not the Marlins.
-
NBA Players Most Likely to be Traded
Bring Eddie Jones and Morris Peterson, trade Posey and Simien, but not Kapono or Wright. I still want Eddie and I love Peterson in Miami. And with Kapono emerging on both offense and defense, I still think Posey could be traded. You really want Eddie Jones back? For what reason? He brings nothing to the team that Kapono, Posey, and Wright doesn't, but he's older, more expensive, and not as good as any of those players at this point in his career. I'd rather bring Shandon Anderson back than Jones. A change of scenario does a player good. Isn't this Eddie's last year anyway? And that one game in Miami just SCREAMED "Please trade for me." 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 7 points. Eddie Jones wants to be here. He'll be last year's Shandon/Derek Anderson. Even if the Heat wanted to get Eddie back, he's making something like $14 million this year. There is no way for the Heat could match that salary.
-
NBA Players Most Likely to be Traded
Bring Eddie Jones and Morris Peterson, trade Posey and Simien, but not Kapono or Wright. I still want Eddie and I love Peterson in Miami. And with Kapono emerging on both offense and defense, I still think Posey could be traded. You really want Eddie Jones back? For what reason? He brings nothing to the team that Kapono, Posey, and Wright doesn't, but he's older, more expensive, and not as good as any of those players at this point in his career. I'd rather bring Shandon Anderson back than Jones.
-
NBA Players Most Likely to be Traded
I'd take Posey. I love what Posey brings too, but if you can trade him for a talent like Artest you have to do it. Yes he's crazy, but i'm sure Riley would love the chance to coach him. It would definately be a gamble, but one you have to take if the opportunity presents itself.
-
NBA Players Most Likely to be Traded
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/col...&id=2710222 Interesting that Sheridan mentions that the Heat are in the running for a number of players on the list, specifically Maggette, Artest, McInnis, and Morris Peterson. He also has Posey #6 on the list. It is also interesting that the Heat could trade Posey straight up for either Maggette or Artest and it would work under the cap.
-
Posey
If the arms didn't get tangled, it's not a big deal just a hard foul. I don't think calling him cheap or any other profanity is warranted. Agreed. Talk about overreacting, dude. Did you post this here just because you know most people are Heat fans or do you go around posting in different team message boards when a hard foul is committed? People are just reacting to the fact that Deng happened to hit the ground hard. I didn't think that the foul itself wasn't dirty. At that point in the game, tied at 87 and 7 minutes left, it wasn't a wise foul to take, but I didn't think Posey was inentionally trying to harm him. Similar fouls happen all the time and people don't make a big deal out of it.
-
Hinrich
Wade's been complaining about this for years now. I'm sure others probably have as well. I don't know if Hinrich intended to grab Dwyane's hand, but he definetly was looking to grab him and slow him down off the screen. He's also known for undercutting the jump shooter, like Bruce Bowen does. The league should take steps to clean this up. Of course with the current state of officiating the NBA, nothing is likely to change all that much. Let's just hope that Wade is alright and can get back in the lineup by Friday's game.
-
Fort Lauderdale balks, and Orioles may walk
Wow! thats pretty interesting, you would think they city makes a boat load of cash for those games.. They do, that is why this is so incredibly dumb on the city's part if in fact it is because they do not want to pay an extra $150,000 a year. They must make that back and more from the Orioles players and staff that stay in the area for almost 3 months alone, not to mention the tourists that come to the area for spring training games that stay in the hotels and eat in the restaurants.
-
Fort Lauderdale balks, and Orioles may walk
So they voted this plan down over paying an extra $150,000 a year? Wow, that is stupid. Having spring training and exhibition games there must bring in at least 10 or 20 times that amount to the city annually, probably much more. Then again I shouldn't be shocked seeing how politicians in this state have dealt with the Marlins stadium push for the past decade.
-
UPDATED: Knicks-Nuggets Brawl
Mardy's foul really wasn't that bad.....no more malicious then any other foul a guy makes to prevent a breakaway dunk. Oh come on. It was a blow out with a minute left and he tackled him into the hoop. Melo is a moron, and should be gone for at least 10. Somebody needs to tell Nate Robinson he's not a thug. Oh please, dude. He was just sticking up for his damn teammate. I'd like to know how that is being a thug. As for suspensions, I think Collins will get a game, Robinson and Smith will get 2, and Melo will get 4-6. Are you kidding? Stern HATES this stuff. Everyone involved gets a minimum of 5 games. Carmelo gets 10 if he's lucky.
-
2007 Select-A-Seat
I'm sure being a long-term season ticket holder will pay off if/when a new stadium is built. Teams usually go by longevity when assigning seats in new parks. Let's pray that this finally happens and your loyalty pays off.
-
1997 Tenth Anniversary Patch
http://blogs.trb.com/sports/custom/busines...the_1997_w.html
-
Dwyane Wade to miss Phoenix game after getting wisdom teeth pulled
D-Wade's got some serious tooth issues. Didn't he just have a root canal a few days ago? I don't think he ever had the root canal. They just decided to remove the teeth altogether. I can sympathize though, wisdom tooth pain is horrible. Hopefully Dwyane will be ready to go on Friday.
-
Mesa reaches deal to pitch for Tigers in 19th season
This is actually a good thing. I could do without Jose Mesa at 2.5mil.
-
Yet another CF idea
Rotoworld is saying that with Lofton signing with the Rangers, Brad Wilkerson could be non-tendered. He's coming off a terrible year and season ending shoulder surgery. He'll likely be ready for spring training though, as his surgery took place last August. He can play center, is an abover average hitter, coming back to the NL will help and he has always killed the Marlins. If he is non-tendered, he becomes my choice, but we'll see what happens.....