Is it Too Early to Hate on Gonzo?

Fish Fillet

* Gonzo followed up his measly 2003 numbers with a ho-hum spring (.250 with 8 RBI in 56 games)

*1 for 4 with 2K and 1 LOB yesterday.

Now, I know he's arguably one of the top 3 defensive SS in the NL and all that, but he creates a vast, gaping expanse of nothingness in the lineup with his little stick.

He looks like a drunk 12 year old girl at the plate, and the Fish cannot afford offensively to carry his pathetic offensive performances this year.

Cabs would look good at short with Nunez in right field.

I'm not a Gonzo fan either, but his 1/4 was equal to Conine, Cabrera, Choi (although his 1 was much bigger and his out was productive :p ), and better than Luis. I have confidence Alex'll get it together, and he'll never be a .300 hitter so don't set your sights at that, look at him as a .275 guy and you won't be disappointed.

* Gonzo followed up his measly 2003 numbers with a ho-hum spring (.250 with 8 RBI in 56 games)

Now, I know he's arguably one of the top 3 defensive SS in the NL and all that, but he creates a vast, gaping expanse of nothingness in the lineup with his little stick.

He looks like a drunk 12 year old girl at the plate, and the Fish cannot afford offensively to carry his pathetic offensive performances this year.

WOW! After one freakin' game we're already hearing the "move Cabrera to SS and put Nunez in RF".

GEEZ, ONE FREAKIN' GAME!!! This ain't softball kids, you need defense. Plus, Abraham Nunez is not the answer in LF/RF. Here are a few names for you to look back on from spring's past: Brant Brown, Josh Booty, Rafael Medina, Brian Meadows, Ralph Millard. Each had amazing springs and then did bubkiss in the regular season. Spring is Spring. Also remember that Nunez hit a whopping .179 the last time he was up.

* Gonzo followed up his measly 2003 numbers with a ho-hum spring (.250 with 8? RBI in 56 games)

Some people are so ungreatful. I would be willing to bet that without Gonzo on our team last year we would not have won it all. I am not just talking about his defense but he did have some big hits for us last year. I am the first one to yell at my TV when he K's, but at the sametime he is batting in the hardest position on our team. It is not easy batting in front of the pitcher. The 8th hitter on an NL team never gets any good pitches and almost never gets anything to hit.

WOW! After one freakin' game we're already hearing the "move Cabrera to SS and put Nunez in RF".

GEEZ, ONE FREAKIN' GAME!!! This ain't softball kids, you need defense. Plus, Abraham Nunez is not the answer in LF/RF. Here are a few names for you to look back on from spring's past: Brant Brown, Josh Booty, Rafael Medina, Brian Meadows, Ralph Millard. Each had amazing springs and then did bubkiss in the regular season. Spring is Spring. Also remember that Nunez hit a whopping .179 the last time he was up. No, it's not ONE FREAKIN GAME. It's going on three seasons now. And Nunez at .200 with some power is just as good as Gonzo at .230 with no power.

And there is a reason why he's down in the 8 slot in the lineup, and it ain't because he's a good hitter. If he's not geting anything decent to hit then why isn't he walking more instead of K'ing.

He has no power and extremely poor strike zone judgement. We've been hearing for years now that he's going to return to the performance he had the first half of his rook year, but it still hasn't happened. Another big knock on him (which Boog mentioned on the broadcast pregame again yesterday) is that he still doesn't understand his limitations offensively and what the team expects of him at the plate. He wants to hit 30+ HR and drive in 90 RBI, so he goes out there and free-swings.

Offesively he is terminally flawed. If this were a team full of offensive power it would be sufferable, but on this team, this year, giving up two automatic outs at the 8 and 9 slots is terminal.

The lack of patience & strike-zone judgement is 100% correct, but 18 homers last year is hardly "no power".

I've heard the 8-spot in the lineup used as an excuse for his lack of being selective for pitches.... since the pitcher's spot is up next & the pitcher is close to an automatic out, he doesn't want to take a walk and leave it for the pitcher to try & get a hit, so he winds up expanding the strike zone & swinging at everything.

I'm not sure that's the case though, since he's looked the same in different spots in the order. Maybe that mentality has stuck with him, who knows.

What happened the first half of last season though? Just a hot streak? Don't get me wrong, I think Alex is fundamentally a below-average hitter. That said, I think he can still hit mistake pitches, & I'd keep him in the lineup.

Geez Fish Fillet,

I thought you'd be in a better mood lately...your stinkin' Tigers are 2-0.

Have you gotten your Pudge jersey yet???

:mischief2

Wednesday and Thursday the 28th and 29th of April.... I'll be at that piece of crap cornfield they call a ballpark that they built to replace the irreplaceable Corner. Going to go buy a Marlins' #7 jersey on clearance and wear it to the games. Hopefully I won't get shot, although in Detroilet you've got just as much of a chance to get hit by stray gunfire as you do by raindrops.

But to answer your question, I'm still eternally negative. Nunez needs a shot, and it makes sense to mave Cabs back to SS. What's the harm in it? It's not like they'll lose any offensive production anyway.

My prediction is MAy 31st for a switch.

it is a bit too early to hate on sea bass, but hes been with us for a while and he is unproductive. he creates 2 automatic outs in the lineup

but he also creates double plays. we need his defense

i think if we wouldve gone into ST with cabrera playing short it wouldve been good, but the season is underway and until nunez gets in an actual game, we shouldnt make any move

Isn't this debate/topic somewhat fruitless???

Don't you think this idea would have crossed Jack's, Beinfest's, Hill's, Ferrera's and others collective minds by now? The outcry during the World Series and playoffs was obviously heard and was obviously considered. If there was ever any intention of Cabs returning to short - don't you think they would have tested it out during Spring Training? Cabs hasn't played short in a few years...he has either outgrown the position or there is some other viable reason the organization does not want him playing there.

C'mon...give the braintrust some credit...it's not like we're dealing with a bunch of baseball nitwits (ie the Tigers FO).

:thumbup

Geez Fish Fillet,

I thought you'd be in a better mood lately...your stinkin' Tigers are 2-0.

Have you gotten your Pudge jersey yet???

:mischief2

Wednesday and Thursday the 28th and 29th of April.... I'll be at that piece of crap cornfield they call a ballpark that they built to replace the irreplaceable Corner. Going to go buy a Marlins' #7 jersey on clearance and wear it to the games. Hopefully I won't get shot, although in Detroilet you've got just as much of a chance to get hit by stray gunfire as you do by raindrops.

But to answer your question, I'm still eternally negative. Nunez needs a shot, and it makes sense to mave Cabs back to SS. What's the harm in it? It's not like they'll lose any offensive production anyway.

My prediction is MAy 31st for a switch. This team is built on defense and pitching, and Cabrera is not the best defensive option at SS. I'm glad Jack is managing the team.

Remember, In Jack we Trust :thumbup

Who will you get to replace Gonzalez at SS? Be reasonable. The big expensive names are out of the question. You want Aurillia, Lugo, Cintron, Valentin, Eckstein, Izturis or Carlos Guillen? How about the OTHER Alex Gonzalez?

Our team will live and die on our pitching. Our pitchers are learning to keep pitch counts down. That means striking out everyone is not the goal; our defense makes that a smart goal.

Find me a batter that creates more runs with his bat than Alex saves with his glove and I'm with you. But odds are that guy will cost too much because a hitter costs more a good glove.

Isn't this debate/topic somewhat fruitless???

Don't you think this idea would have crossed Jack's, Beinfest's, Hill's, Ferrera's and others collective minds by now? The outcry during the World Series and playoffs was obviously heard and was obviously considered. If there was ever any intention of Cabs returning to short - don't you think they would have tested it out during Spring Training? Cabs hasn't played short in a few years...he has either outgrown the position or there is some other viable reason the organization does not want him playing there.

C'mon...give the braintrust some credit...it's not like we're dealing with a bunch of baseball nitwits (ie the Tigers FO).

:thumbup

1) Tiger's FO? One reason why the Fish won last year, in large part, is because of one of the "nitwits" who now is the Tiger's GM

2) The fish couldn't play Cabs at SS for the most part b/c of Lowell's injury, not because they did or didn't want to.

3) Cabs didn't need any prep time when he moved to 3b, or more importantly, to RF where he had no experience. I think he'd be fine going back to a position where he played for most of his life (including down on the farm), regardless of practice time.

I know I may be a little ahead of my time with this one, but being the incredible visionary that I am all I can say is wait and see. In about a month or so when Alex is cruising along at a cool .204 clip more and more of you will see the light.

This will be much akin to the D. Lee sentiment last year. At the beginning of the year D. Lee sat at the right hand of God on these boards and by the end of July he was "certified crap."

Gonzo will become expendable.....Soon.

I don't know we have to "hate" anyone.

I'd like to see more production from our infield (and that includes Lowell), and I'd like to see more of Nunez but now that the season is underway and the roster is set, all you can do now is hope for the best from Agon.

Generally I agree with Malman's post (above). Either we believe our manager and FO know what they're doing or we don't, and so far we've been the recipients of some pretty good baseball because of their moves.

You people are nuts, ok let's make something clear......

ABRAHAM NUNEZ IS NOT GOING TO BE A PERMANENT STARTER ANYTIME SOON!

Ok, now that that is over with, yes it's too early to hate on Sea Bass. He never was a great hitter, he is a superb defender, and ocasionally he will get hot at the plate, boost his numbers, and that is a nice bonus.

But geez, it's only one game. There are bigger things, like middle relief, to worry about.

Marlins03, i think he meant "hate on him" not actually hate the dude

anyway, he is there for defensive reasons, anything he brings to the plate is a bonus

thats the way it is

Ramp, I know what he meant. I just think we're all (including me) to quick these to use words that should be used sparingly at best. Call me old-fashioned, heck I've been called worse. :D