Is NHL a dead league?

Guest Moneyball

Guest Moneyball

Sportscenter last night didn't put the NHL playoff games 'til the last 15 minutes of the show. I think this is pretty sad. I like the NHL I hope there isn't a strike next year but if this happens the NHL is doomed in SO.FLO. the problem with this league is that some of the major city's teams suck. NYI,LA,CHI... if the NHL comes back i expect 10 teams to be contracted. NHL should move more teams to canada.

The biggest problem with the NHL is that it's generally a sport played in the Northern U.S. and Canada, and the vast majority of the players in the NHL aren't from the U.S. Most are from Canada, Russia, or Eastern Europe. One time I checked the Panthers' roster, and found that not a single player was born in America.

I agree with marlinfan's point about teams in big markets sucking hurts the league.

I live in Chicago, and NOBODY here talks about the Blackhawks because they are so horrible. All sports markets will embrace a winner, and not a loser, and the big market teams being bad hurts the NHL.

Also, the NHL went overboard with expansion. There are simply too many teams, and during the lockout, which I think will happen, there will be several teams contracted, unfortuantely.

Also, the NHL went overboard with expansion. There are simply too many teams, and during the lockout, which I think will happen, there will be several teams contracted, unfortuantely.

And most of them won't be the newer teams either, which could end up being a good thing in the end. If they scale back to 26 teams, the quality of hockey will go up and they will have cut 4 bad markets.

Of course, they could have just moved those struggling franchises to the markets they expanded into anyway.

Also, not to demean hockey, but I find it boring on TV. Apparantly so do a lot of other people, given the ratings. It's awesome when you're in the stands, though. Is the NHL's downfall due mostly to decling TV ratings? Or have ticket sales taken a hit too?

Also, not to demean hockey, but I find it boring on TV. Apparantly so do a lot of other people, given the ratings. It's awesome when you're in the stands, though. Is the NHL's downfall due mostly to decling TV ratings? Or have ticket sales taken a hit too?

It's mostly the TV deal. They're starting to spend like the other leagues, but don't have TV deal that they do.

Attendance is down in some places, but it's still pretty strong overall. There's no question that hockey is a live sport and not a TV sport. I can only watch playoff hockey and games I have a serious interest in (Jackets) on television.

Basically, they need to cut back their spending to make up for their smaller TV deal (and it's going to get even smaller when they renew this year) and they'll be fine.

That's a lot easier said than done, as it means the dreaded salary cap, which the union is against (although some of the big names, like Brett Hull, have said it's neccessary).

I think they'll get this solved, but there will be a lockout. I expect the season to start sometime in December or January and I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 teams didn't exist anymore.

NHL should move more teams to canada.

although hockey is prime in Canada, there is a reason we have seen teams move from Quebec & Winnepeg, plus teams like Ottawa in financial trouble. Edmonton, Calgary & Vancouver can't really spend money on good players.

The Canadian dollar is weak and can't keep up with the inflation of salaries by big city teams in the U.S. It's apparent even in baseball with the Expos and Blue Jays. Remember when Toronto was on top in the late 80's-early 90's? That didn't last.

I believe there will be contraction of some sort, and it may be good. The players are making too much money in this league for the revenue not matching those salaries.

This is one of the best games in the world as hockey>basketball. But changes need to be made in the current system or the NHL will not survive. The players need to realize this. Because if they don't, they won't be making anything at all.

One word of advice to everyone who is a fan of the NHL AND NBA. Both leagues are heading into labor problems...contraction signifies defeat in those markets in which the teams are removed.

The NHL doesn't need to dump 4 teams, it needs to crack it's lousy players union and get a TV contract with more exposure like they had with FOX.

The NHL grew under FOX and then left for more $$$$. Money is not the NHL's answer, exposure is. Get more exposure and it will help. In SoFla we have Junior Hockey! Who would of thought that in 1989? The Panhters own the rinks and advertise them and draw very well.

The Heat have community events and basketball camps and they draw pretty well when they play as well, but they have lots of exposure.

NHL should move more teams to canada.

although hockey is prime in Canada, there is a reason we have seen teams move from Quebec & Winnepeg, plus teams like Ottawa in financial trouble. Edmonton, Calgary & Vancouver can't really spend money on good players.

The Canadian dollar is weak and can't keep up with the inflation of salaries by big city teams in the U.S. It's apparent even in baseball with the Expos and Blue Jays. Remember when Toronto was on top in the late 80's-early 90's? That didn't last.

I believe there will be contraction of some sort, and it may be good. The players are making too much money in this league for the revenue not matching those salaries.

This is one of the best games in the world as hockey>basketball. But changes need to be made in the current system or the NHL will not survive. The players need to realize this. Because if they don't, they won't be making anything at all. Actually Ottawa is no longer in financial trouble. The teams they should move are Carolina to Quebec, and get a team back in Winnipeg. Anyway I no longer worry about the Panthers folding or moving because they actually gained attendance last year according to "The Hockey News." And besides that the Panthers have some of the best finances (not in terms of amount but in terms of debts and the like).

The Candian dolllar is gaining as I was just their and their inflation rate was down.

All the Players salaries have actually been on a downward trend. Except for Niklas Lidstrom's two-year $20 million extension, the salaries have gone down. The NHL should at least institute a Luxury tax at around $55 million.

You can't deny that part of the problem is the fact that it's not an American sport. It's the same deal with soccer. People just don't understand either that well. The other problem is the lack of big-name American hockey players that the entire country knows about. They need an American Wayne Gretzky badly.

NBA = :thumbdown

NHL does not need more teams in Canada, because of the economy up there. Their dollar is amazingly week, which is why so many of their teams moved south in the first place. Although I do wish more of their cities could compete economically, tho...I do fear the NHL being greatly changed after the walkout, tho, and I'm afraid there may no longer be a team down here. That would stink.

The answer to your question is hopefully. Give me more hoops on ESPN.

:mad : :mad : :mad :

You have no idea what you are talking about...

Basketball=Horrible nowadays. :thumbdown

Hockey is life. yeah, the NHL is in much better shape than the NBA. i always see kids wearing throwback NHL jerseys and talking about the sick move rick nash made last night against calgary. and the coverage of the NHL and the ratings are incredible

in other words, the NBA might just be in a little better shape than the NHL :cool