Pettitte and Prior News

SorianoFanHFW

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/h...s_hou&fext=.jsp

Pettitte hurt his elbow on a check swing.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?...66686997050.xml

MARK PRIOR'S right elbow injury could be serious enough to require Tommy John surgery and keep him out for the whole year, according to the word circulating among baseball executives. Cubs manager DUSTY BAKER , who has a tendency to leave his starters in for extremely high pitch counts, has been confiding in friends that the situation is bleak. Losing Prior for an extended time would obviously be a big blow for the Cubs, who don't have a lot of wiggle room in their payroll budget to trade for another starter.

I don't know, I would like if my april fools joke turned out to be a right on the mark...and with the upcoming prior news and nick johnson being nick johnson, who knows.

Seriously, Prior would be a huge loss, but they will still have one of the best rotations in the majors. Too bad they didn't hold onto juan cruz.

Guest Guest

That's what Pettitte gets for pulling a Pudge and screwing over the Yanks.

How exactly did he screw over the Yankees? The guy just wanted to play closer to his family. He deserves to be hurt for that?

That's what Pettitte gets for pulling a Pudge and screwing over the Yanks.

How exactly did he screw over the Yankees? The guy just wanted to play closer to his family. He deserves to be hurt for that? kind of the opposite of what pudge did, actually not really, pudge asked for 10 million for 4 years. Pettitte asked for 15 million for 4 years.

Please, the family aspect is so overplayed. You play half your games away anyway and the guy has been in NY for 9 years....he's used to being "away" from his family.

Both Pettitte & Pudge did it for money, dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Well then hell enjoy the "other half" of the season with his family...

You figured the Cubs learned their lesson when they screwed up Wood's arm several years back, apparently that isn't the case though.

The Cubs World Series hopes are DONE if Prior is out for the year, but they still could win the NL Central.

MARK PRIOR'S right elbow injury could be serious enough to require Tommy John surgery and keep him out for the whole year, according to the word circulating among baseball executives. Cubs manager DUSTY BAKER , who has a tendency to leave his starters in for extremely high pitch counts, has been confiding in friends that the situation is bleak. Losing Prior for an extended time would obviously be a big blow for the Cubs, who don't have a lot of wiggle room in their payroll budget to trade for another starter.

I called that

Dusty Baker= moron

Dusty Baker= career killer

it rings true more than ever

I would like to say, in order to stay on topic, that there has been a lot of evidence that GiantsFan has an irrational hatred of Dusty Baker, therefore he is willing to ascribe a huge amount of despairing situations to this man. I find it a little tiresome.

To get really on topic, whoever wrote that Tommy John article pulled it out of their ass. One of the best pitchers in the league may be gone until 2005, and this is posted nowhere else online? Prior in uniform at yesterday's ball game, shown just chatting it up with teammates? I call BS.

So SorFan, you wuz wrong. It happens to everyone. To you, it happens an inordinately large amount of time, but it does happen to everyone. Get a grip, and stop calling me names. Like it or not, Nostradumbass is more clever than a-hole and telling me I don't know how to chew gum.

I know it's that not yet that time of year that Cubs fans have given up and starting look for reasons they yet again came up short, but please! Prior fits the classic case for torn arm ligaments. The young pitcher who has been pitched to death by his manager. It's a very reasonable suspicion with good chance of being correct.

And it is very puzzling why the Cubs have been quiet on the matter. You'd think a player who is experiencing elbow and ankle pain and hasn't pitched at all in ST would know what the problem was by now. Not this 'I just need rest' crap. He's coming off close to 6 months of rest! Is the Cubs front office trying to avoid the evitable moan and groan if they actually admit the Golden Boy may be injured? Is the Cubs FO trying to protect Dusty Baker? Does the Cubs FO think that by admitting Prior will be out much longer than the reported 6+ weeks that ticket sales will drop? Do they think they can't scalp their own tickets for quite as much money if a number of Cubs fans enter their doom and gloom moods upon hearing the news?

Guest Juanky

The Cubs were hoping that injured ace Mark Prior would be able to throw off a mound as early as Monday. In March, when the right-hander went on the disabled list because of right Achilles tendinitis and elbow inflammation, his targeted return to the starting rotation was the first week of May.

It appears that's all wishful thinking.

Prior

Prior said Sunday he isn't ready to throw off a mound, and the right-hander is so uncertain of his return that he's stopped thinking about a possible timetable.

"I have been told to keep it open-ended, don't set myself up," Prior told the Chicago Sun-Times. "It's frustrating because I want to be out there, but I want to be out there healthy."

Based on his calculation that he usually takes six weeks of throwing time to prepare for the start of spring training -- the 23-year-old did not pitch in a spring game -- he might not be in a position to return until late May or sometime in June.

"My arm is not in shape yet, not enough to get on the mound," Prior told the Sun-Times. "I want to get on the mound, but I know long toss is better to get my arm in shape right now. It's more of a gut thing. I just know it's not strong enough. It's not as easy to throw long toss as it usually is."

Prior once again played catch Sunday on flat ground. He's also been using a towel to simulate his delivery off the mound. He doesn't expect to have to continue many more of these workouts before he can actually pitch off a mound.

"Hopefully, no more than two or three more times," he said. "It's just getting stretched out. I throw from the first week of January to the start of spring training [to get ready to pitch]. That's how long it usually takes. Hopefully, it doesn't take that long this time."

Prior was 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA and 245 strikeouts in his first full big league season last year, finishing third in voting for the NL Cy Young Award.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

C/O ESPN.com