Beckett 'best power pitcher in baseball'?

Wild Card

Wood isn't a "power pitcher" anymore. He uses his curveball too much to be considered a guy who uses power to win. They both are very effective, but no one really throws as hard and as accurately as Beckett...

Prior is the only one who has the same level of control in league with Beckett. Wood is right their behind them though.

Wood isn't a "power pitcher" anymore. He uses his curveball too much to be considered a guy who uses power to win. They both are very effective, but no one really throws as hard and as accurately as Beckett...

Wood not a power pitcher?? :shifty So because he has a curve ball hes not a power pitcher (Nolen Ryan used his curveball quite a bit, and guess whath Beckett too.

Wood not a power pitcher?? :shifty So because he has a curve ball hes not a power pitcher (Nolen Ryan used his curveball quite a bit, and guess whath Beckett too. Beckett sets up his curve with the fastball, Beckett's "out" pitch is still the fastball; Wood's "out" pitch is the curve.

Wood isn't a "power pitcher" anymore.? He uses his curveball too much to be considered a guy who uses power to win.? They both are very effective, but no one really throws as hard and as accurately as Beckett...

Wood not a power pitcher?? :shifty So because he has a curve ball hes not a power pitcher (Nolen Ryan used his curveball quite a bit, and guess whath Beckett too. Beckett sets up his curve with the fastball, Beckett's "out" pitch is still the fastball; Wood's "out" pitch is the curve. I think Becketts out pitch is his curve. He threw a bunch of curvs yesterday for strike three.

Wood isn't a "power pitcher" anymore.? He uses his curveball too much to be considered a guy who uses power to win.? They both are very effective, but no one really throws as hard and as accurately as Beckett...

Wood not a power pitcher?? :shifty So because he has a curve ball hes not a power pitcher (Nolen Ryan used his curveball quite a bit, and guess whath Beckett too. Beckett sets up his curve with the fastball, Beckett's "out" pitch is still the fastball; Wood's "out" pitch is the curve. I think Becketts out pitch is his curve. He threw a bunch of curvs yesterday for strike three. That's because he had a lot of 0-2 and 1-2 counts; he could go offspeed. When it gets to be 2-2 and 3-2, he relies on the fastball a lot more than the curve. He's throwing the curve just about any time, but his best pitch is still the fast...

Wood not a power pitcher?? :shifty So because he has a curve ball hes not a power pitcher (Nolen Ryan used his curveball quite a bit, and guess whath Beckett too. Beckett sets up his curve with the fastball, Beckett's "out" pitch is still the fastball; Wood's "out" pitch is the curve. I think Becketts out pitch is his curve. He threw a bunch of curvs yesterday for strike three. That's because he had a lot of 0-2 and 1-2 counts; he could go offspeed. When it gets to be 2-2 and 3-2, he relies on the fastball a lot more than the curve. He's throwing the curve just about any time, but his best pitch is still the fast... The overall point is... Kerry Wood is a power pitcher case closed, admit it Swift

Wood not a power pitcher?? :shifty So because he has a curve ball hes not a power pitcher (Nolen Ryan used his curveball quite a bit, and guess whath Beckett too. Beckett sets up his curve with the fastball, Beckett's "out" pitch is still the fastball; Wood's "out" pitch is the curve. I think Becketts out pitch is his curve. He threw a bunch of curvs yesterday for strike three. That's because he had a lot of 0-2 and 1-2 counts; he could go offspeed. When it gets to be 2-2 and 3-2, he relies on the fastball a lot more than the curve. He's throwing the curve just about any time, but his best pitch is still the fast... The overall point is... Kerry Wood is a power pitcher case closed, admit it Swift He's a pitcher now, he doesn't rely on his power like he used to.

"Power pitcher" has a lot of connotations of "I'm going to blow it by you," and Wood isn't that kind of guy anymore.

He's a pitcher now, he doesn't rely on his power like he used to.

"Power pitcher" has a lot of connotations of "I'm going to blow it by you," and Wood isn't that kind of guy anymore.

he doesnt blow it by you anymore?!?!?!?! and his out pitch isnt a curve, its that nasty slider that has the bottom drop out of it at the end.

he doesnt blow it by you anymore?!?!?!?! and his out pitch isnt a curve, its that nasty slider that has the bottom drop out of it at the end. I was just going to say that. Wood still blows it by you, AND he'll finish you off with that disgusting slider that he most definately had working yesterday.

Beckett will blow it by you, but keep you guessing between the curve and change-up. But Beckett is far more accurate than Wood on a consistant basis.

he doesnt blow it by you anymore?!?!?!?! and his out pitch isnt a curve, its that nasty slider that has the bottom drop out of it at the end. I was just going to say that. Wood still blows it by you, AND he'll finish you off with that disgusting slider that he most definately had working yesterday.

Beckett will blow it by you, but keep you guessing between the curve and change-up. But Beckett is far more accurate than Wood on a consistant basis. you misunderstood, what I meant was he throws hard with that being the extent of his pitching. Like AJ when he came up, like Penny, like Wood when he first started. Wood has become a much smarter pitcher, relying less on his velocity and more on pitch location and keeping hitters honest with deceptive breaking pitches...

wood led the NL in Ks last year, you dont lead the league in Ks and not be a power pitcher

but as for the original question posed in Around the Horn

I think the best way to answer that question is this

if you had to choose between one of those two guys to get you a must win game

who would you choose????

i think thats the best way to determine who is the better power pitcher because a power pitcher should be considered one that can dominate a game. especially one that is a must win

examples of the best in that category

bob gibson

randy johnson

sandy koufax

doc gooden

roger clemens

so by that criteria I dont think theres any question that beckett is the guy. all those year long stats 200+ Ks, 20 win seasons are on the way

if i was a GM and I ha my choice of any young pitcher to build around; itd come down to a coin toss between prior and beckett

Guest Juanky

Well, as the game ended on Sunday I was listening to WQAM (shame on me) and some guy called in saying Josh was Bob Gibson, Roger Clemens, and Nolan Ryan all in one. Think people think highly of him?

he doesnt blow it by you anymore?!?!?!?! and his out pitch isnt a curve, its that nasty slider that has the bottom drop out of it at the end. Slider?

I thought he wasnt gonna throw it too much because thats what got him into Arm Troubles (tommy john).