Anyone else get the feelin'...

Wild Card

That this is going to be A-Gon's first Gold Glove season? I'm sorry, but I have seen Renteria on web gems just once this year, and I haven't seen Cabrera on even that much. Gonzalez has been on what, three times this week?

All I can say is :thumbup .

He'll need to get his BA up to around .250 to get enough support though.

which is stupid, but shows how idiotic the media is. Yep, but it's hard to get them to vote for someone who is dragging the team down at the plate.

But Alex has the ability to hit above .250. He just needs to show patience at the plate, and quit getting himself out by swinging at pitches out of the zone.

which is stupid, but shows how idiotic the media is. Yep, but it's hard to get them to vote for someone who is dragging the team down at the plate.

I'm pretty sure the media doesn't vote for the Gold Glove award. The managers and coaches do. I wouldn't call them idiotic as much as I'd call them careless, as shown when Rafael Palmeiro won the Gold Glove at 1B in 1999 even though he only played 28 games at 1B all season.

Rey Ordonez won it a couple of years back ... and I really doubt he has ever hit more than 250 ... maximum of 10 homers

the dude was a disgrace at the plate but still got it ... i dont think offense matters that much, it does but not that much.

Good call.

Ordonez hit .216, .246, .258 in the three years he won his Gold Gloves ('97-'99). So '97 stands out as a year that shows it is possible.

Not to toot my Reds horn but Larkin is putting up a very fine season. First error was commited last night. I wouldnt put it past the media to give it to him as a last hurrah as Larkin says he "plans" to retire.

Gonzalez can't be ignored right now. He's made some disgusting plays.

Errors don't matter as much as people think in thr GG voting. Thome was errorless last year at 1B for the Phillies, but the award obviously went to Lee for his unmatched playmaking ability.

I'm pretty sure the media doesn't vote for the Gold Glove award. The managers and coaches do. I wouldn't call them idiotic as much as I'd call them careless, as shown when Rafael Palmeiro won the Gold Glove at 1B in 1999 even though he only played 28 games at 1B all season. well if it is the coaches that vote on it....which i forget...then they are idiotic for not even PAYING attention to what occurs on the field.

Call it careless....I would call it stupid. At least the media is expected to be stupid and not pay attention to anything....since most are that way anyway.

I would think coaches would at least be awawe that a player doesnt play more than a handful of games at a position.

Quite simply though....Gold Glove and Silver Slugger is based largely on reputation. Sad, yet true.

Guest Juanky

Rey Ordonez won it a couple of years back ... and I really doubt he has ever hit more than 250 ... maximum of 10 homers

the dude was a disgrace at the plate but still got it ... i dont think offense matters that much, it does but not that much.

The difference is that the voters need players to do well offensively so they know who they are. Otherwise, they'll never know Alex Gonzalez existed. Rey Ordo?ez played in NY so attention wasn't a problem.

Though now attention shouldn't be a problem with the World Series ring, the homer in Game 4, and the slide in Game 6. Time will tell.

Not to toot my Reds horn but Larkin is putting up a very fine season. First error was commited last night. I wouldnt put it past the media to give it to him as a last hurrah as Larkin says he "plans" to retire.

Gonzalez can't be ignored right now. He's made some disgusting plays.

Errors don't matter as much as people think in thr GG voting. Thome was errorless last year at 1B for the Phillies, but the award obviously went to Lee for his unmatched playmaking ability. Did you see Larkin's pickup against Royce Clayton? 40 yrs old and still a sponge in the infield...plus only 1 error.

Its not always about spectacular plays, but the ability to position yourself against hitters to make for a better position. Larkin is a master.

Not taking anything away from your guy of course.... :p

That's funny- I was just thinking about Alex and a Gold Glove last night. They (supposedly) base the award on frequency of assists and visual finesse. He fits the bill perfectly..hopefully his almost daily web gems won't go unnoticed for long. Luis got his, let's complete the pair!!

Well Alex has always had great defense and a great glove....he just hasnt got a lot of respect and thats what has been stopping him from getting a gold glove....and also you have to be able to hit at the plate to get a gold glove also...Even though that has nothing to do with defense and with getting a gold glove-if you cant hit at the plate than you wont be recognized...

Well Alex has always had great defense and a great glove....he just hasnt got a lot of respect and thats what has been stopping him from getting a gold glove....and also you have to be able to hit at the plate to get a gold glove also...Even though that has nothing to do with defense and with getting a gold glove-if you cant hit at the plate than you wont be recognized...

Yeah, I agree. Alex never seems to have a great attitude...I once heard him described as "already defeated" and I can see that.

As for the 4 errors, he has been involved in a lot of plays..it's understandable and I think he's made up for it. The man's a friggin acrobat.

Yeah, I agree. Alex never seems to have a great attitude...I once heard him described as "already defeated" and I can see that.

As for the 4 errors, he has been involved in a lot of plays..it's understandable and I think he's made up for it. The man's a friggin acrobat. Yeah-In Alex's first year in the majors when he went to the All-Star game he was a much better hitter....but ever since it seems like the pitchers have figured him out and the only thing that has been keeping him on our team is his defense...he has to start impressing us with his offense also.

As for the 4 errors, he has been involved in a lot of plays..it's understandable and I think he's made up for it. The man's a friggin acrobat. Yeah-In Alex's first year in the majors when he went to the All-Star game he was a much better hitter....but ever since it seems like the pitchers have figured him out and the only thing that has been keeping him on our team is his defense...he has to start impressing us with his offense also. Didn't he have better offensive numbers after the all-star break than A-Rod last year? 'Swear I heard something like that. Even just the numbers for May have been much better. .246 versus April's .182

Did you see Larkin's pickup against Royce Clayton? 40 yrs old and still a sponge in the infield...plus only 1 error.

Its not always about spectacular plays, but the ability to position yourself against hitters to make for a better position. Larkin is a master.

Not taking anything away from your guy of course.... :p

Did you see Gonzalez pop slide and pick the ball, spin and switch hands with the ball at the same time and nail the runner two steps before he got to first base?

The amazing thing is that is A-Gon's signiture play. He does that maybe once every two games or so.

Sorry, but Larkin ain't thirty-five no more. :lol

As for the 4 errors, he has been involved in a lot of plays..it's understandable and I think he's made up for it. The man's a friggin acrobat. Yeah-In Alex's first year in the majors when he went to the All-Star game he was a much better hitter....but ever since it seems like the pitchers have figured him out and the only thing that has been keeping him on our team is his defense...he has to start impressing us with his offense also. Didn't he have better offensive numbers after the all-star break than A-Rod last year? 'Swear I heard something like that. Even just the numbers for May have been much better. .246 versus April's .182 I dont think he has better number than A-Rod after the All-Star break last year...

A-Rod can get in some slumps like he was at the beg. of this year. And like Jeter was also.

Anyways Alex can hit really good sometimes when he is hot...but when he isnt doing good you can just mark off another out before he even reaches the plate.

Larkin got a freakin' MVP a few years back! Stop hogging the awards & give us our gold glove! :p

Barry did get screwed out of starting the All-Star game for a few years though while Ozzie Smith was still playing... clearly Larkin was the better player at the end of Ozzie's career, but you know how the All-Star thing goes...

You never cease to amaze me

If you have a problem with my post-dont read it.

And if you do read it-don't be sarcastic about it.

Lets try and stay on the topic about talking about the Florida Marlins instead of getting personal and talking about a person's posts.