College Player or HS Player?

Teal Shadow

I read Berardino's article today. How college pitchers have had more of an impact on there clubs. Which got me thinking should the Marlins take the sure thing in a college player or a HS player with a higher ceiling. The option will be there tomorrow.

Huston Street a RHP out of the University of Texas(a future closer 92 mph fastball)?

or

Gio Gonzalez a LHP out Miami (a lefty with a 95mph fastball)?

interesting :mischief2

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...,2311404.column

Gio Gonzalez would help with our lefty arms in the system for SP IMHO.

Yuh he will,i've seen the kid pitch and so have many other's here,he doesn't make many mistakes,he can be better than d-train no doubt. I agree that's why I'd take Gio, even though Huston could be here next seson battling for a bullpen spot. I'd take Gio

Yuh he will,i've seen the kid pitch and so have many other's here,he doesn't make many mistakes,he can be better than d-train no doubt. I agree that's why I'd take Gio, even though Huston could be here next seson battling for a bullpen spot. I'd take Gio I don't think he need's to go threw rookie ball...kid's ready,i think he's gonna blow right threw the minor's.

Yuh he will,i've seen the kid pitch and so have many other's here,he doesn't make many mistakes,he can be better than d-train no doubt. I agree that's why I'd take Gio, even though Huston could be here next seson battling for a bullpen spot. I'd take Gio I don't think he need's to go threw rookie ball...kid's ready,i think he's gonna blow right threw the minor's. thats where so many have been wrong....

Yuh he will,i've seen the kid pitch and so have many other's here,he doesn't make many mistakes,he can be better than d-train no doubt. I agree that's why I'd take Gio, even though Huston could be here next seson battling for a bullpen spot. I'd take Gio I don't think he need's to go threw rookie ball...kid's ready,i think he's gonna blow right threw the minor's. No way hes ready for the majors kiddie.

I really think he needs to get a little stronger he can bear to add some more muscle.

But I'd agree that I wouldnt mind taking him even though I'm in favor of taking college pitchers over HS pitchers.

Hes defintely got nasty stuff tho.

Yuh he will,i've seen the kid pitch and so have many other's here,he doesn't make many mistakes,he can be better than d-train no doubt. I agree that's why I'd take Gio, even though Huston could be here next seson battling for a bullpen spot. I'd take Gio I don't think he need's to go threw rookie ball...kid's ready,i think he's gonna blow right threw the minor's. No way hes ready for the majors kiddie.

I really think he needs to get a little stronger he can bear to add some more muscle.

But I'd agree that I wouldnt mind taking him even though I'm in favor of taking college pitchers over HS pitchers.

Hes defintely got nasty stuff tho. Da, who's not ready? Huston or Gio?

Huston could be ready next season, Gio no way.

The Marlins have fared a lot better with their college picks than HS. Anyone remember former number 1's Josh "I like to strikeout a whole lot more than hit the ball" Booty or Jaime Jones who never made it out of the minors. Granted another #1 Marc Valdes didn't exactly have the greatest career but made it to the show within 2 years coming from college.

Hes defintely got nasty stuff tho. Da, who's not ready? Huston or Gio?

Huston could be ready next season, Gio no way. I meant Gio hes the only potential draftee that I've seen play with my own eyes.

I say go ahead and gamble first round on whoever the best potential player is. After that I'd rather see us go the college route. Our system needs refilling. We'd be better off getting a handful of mid-to-high level prospects out of this draft than getting 1 or 2 high-to-major prospects and a bunch of busts.

This is an important draft for us.

Guest Juanky

Gio is overrated

I haven't seen Street pitch but why not, it isn't like we are stacked in relief.

:lol

Yeah and Gaby is the best pitcher in the state.

Such a homer. No, he isn't. Gaby needs college time.

Gio is good, but he isn't the best in the draft by far. Plus he gets rattled fairly easily, and likes to leave fat pitches right in the heart of the plate when he gets troubled.

Gio is overrated

I haven't seen Street pitch but why not, it isn't like we are stacked in relief.

:lol

Yeah and Gaby is the best pitcher in the state.

Such a homer. No, he isn't. Gaby needs college time.

Gio is good, but he isn't the best in the draft by far. Plus he gets rattled fairly easily, and likes to leave fat pitches right in the heart of the plate when he gets troubled. I dont think anyone is saying hes the best pitcher in the draft or the best pitcher out of high school.

But I doubt he is over-rated. He pitches in the low 90's and has a nasty curveball and this is not me being biased. Baseball America rated him as having the best breaking ball pitch from all of the High School pitchers in the draft.

BA ranks Gonzalez at 28 right behind Huston Street at 27.

They project us as drafting HS Outfielder Dexter Fowler however who they rank 30th.

Yeah I also read that.

Anyone got anything on this Dexter kid. He looks like hes a speedster.

I hope they address the weakness of our system like SS, 2B, C.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.