Taylor Tankersley

Fishin2004

This is the comment on him from mlb.com:

"MEDIUM FRAME. SOLID, STRONG, RAW-BONED BUILD. STRENGTH THROUGHOUT. BUILD SIMILAR TO DENNY NEAGLE. 3/4 TO LOW 3/4 DELIVERY. FB MOSTLY 89-91 W/ OCCAISIONAL RIDING LIFE. ARM WORKS GOOD W/ SOME DECEPTION. HARD BREAKING SLURVE-SLIDER, LATE BREAK. GOOD MAKE-UP & ARM STRENGTH."

Younger brother of Padres prospect Dennis Tankersley

I don't think so...

from the Alabama web site -

Full name is Taylor Mark Tankersley

Parents are Tom and Dana Tankersley

Taylor has two sisters, Erin and Abby

BORN: March 7, 1983

Edcanes...you're slipping as of late.

:thumbup

I don't think so...

:thumbup I was told they were family, but that could meant anything. I assumed brothers...cousins maybe?

I don't think so...

:thumbup I was told they were family, but that could meant anything. I assumed brothers...cousins maybe? Probably so...Tankersly is not a household name...just given you a hard time!!!

:p

Guest Juanky

I don't think so...

:thumbup I was told they were family, but that could meant anything. I assumed brothers...cousins maybe? On mlb.com they said they weren't related at all. Guess we are going to have to wait and see

Maybe Das knows...doesn't he know everything???

that is true.

i do know everything..

except what i do not know.

in this case i KNOW that Taylor is not Dennis' brother.

I also am a lot happier with this pick as opposed to that Miami high school kid.

more from the Sun-Sentinel:

Marlins draft Alabama pitcher with top pick

By KEVEN LERNER

Sun-Sentinel.com

Posted June 7 2004, 2:01 PM EDT

The Marlins selected Alabama pitcher Taylor Tankersley with the 27th pick in the first round of Monday's baseball draft.

The 6-2, 225-pound left-hander split time between the bullpen and starting rotation this season.

Tankersley went 2-5 with a 2.00 ERA and had four saves in 20 games (seven starts) this season. He had 70 strikeouts and 26 walks in 67.2 innings, with opponents hitting just .213 against him.

He originally was drafted by Kansas City in the 39th round of the 2001 draft after going 13-0 with a 0.44 ERA as a senior at Warren Central High School (Vicksburg, Miss.).

Tankersley, who had 97 strikeouts last season, is the first collegian the Marlins have drafted with their first overall pick since taking Mark Kotsay out of Cal State-Fullerton in 1996.

Since 1992, the first year the 27th overall pick was part of the first round, only three players selected at that spot reached the majors, including former Marlins draftee Marc Valdes (1993).

The Marlins' first-round pick (16th overall) last year, Jeff Allison, reported late to spring training and last month was placed on the team's restricted list for leaving the organization without permission. Allison has received treatment for a dependency on OxyContin, a highly addictive painkiller.?

Why Tankersley?

"According to Jim Callis, executive editor at Baseball America, the trade publication that tracks the draft closer than anyone outside the game, several prospective first-rounders could continue this trend.

Topping that list is University of Texas right-hander Huston Street, a Mike Timlin type who pitches at 88-92 mph and has a nasty slider. Street saved four College World Series games as a freshman and picked up even more admirers last summer at the Pan Am Games, where he tossed 81/3 shutout innings of relief against Mexico.

Others to keep an eye on include Rice right-hander Wade Townsend, New Orleans right-hander Thomas Diamond and William & Mary lefty Bill Bray.

Townsend throws in the low 90s with a plus knuckle curve, but so far hasn't needed much of a changeup. Diamond's mid-90s fastball ranks in the top five among college pitchers in this year's draft. Bray's fastball is 90-94 mph and joins a sharp slider and a herky-jerky motion in his arsenal.

***The next echelon includes Auburn reliever Steven Register and Alabama lefty Taylor Tankersley, both of whom seem closer to the majors than most."****

They want help NOW!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...,2311404.column

makes a lot of sense to try and get some help through the draft for your team in the near future as long as the long term future.

if you cant get that super stud....might as well try and get someone who might make it to the show in the near future.

i call it SMART.

makes a lot of sense to try and get some help through the draft for your team in the near future as long as the long term future.

if you cant get that super stud....might as well try and get someone who might make it to the show in the near future.

i call it SMART.

i smell what you're steppin' in

seems like the right move to me

Why Tankersley?

"According to Jim Callis, executive editor at Baseball America, the trade publication that tracks the draft closer than anyone outside the game, several prospective first-rounders could continue this trend.

***The next echelon includes Auburn reliever Steven Register and Alabama lefty Taylor Tankersley, both of whom seem closer to the majors than most."****

They want help NOW!

I would have picked Register before Tankersey. Register has experience closing games as well as starting.

Oh well, maybe next year they will call me before they go and make their drafts.

I like the move, part of the reason you have a farm system is to take raw talent and polish it for your team's needs and that is why we have such a good farm system. We can take that college play, high school play, or that Latin American player and turn his natural talents into something that will make him viable in the big leagues.

I am not sold on Tankersley - albeit I am only going on the footage that is on MLB.com.

I think he needs to work on his mechanics some to optimize his delivery and gain some more velocity. He throws lazy out there.

I do think going the college route makes sense because he will spend less time in the minors than a HSer and will be more ready to help out this team - if he fares well in the minors.

But I think he is at least a year to 2 away. I think they are going to have to really tweak his delivery some in order to give him a better chance at the big level.

But what do I know?! :lol

Guest FishFanInPA

What do any of us know about these guys? I just find it funny in Vargas' video, after his first pitch, he dropped the throw back from the catcher. Not a good sign. Shows laziness.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.