Check this out.

Beinfest4Prez

Am I the only one thinking that the extra cash we got from Chicago could be used to pay off some of Beltrans contract?

No, posted in another thread that I felt (and hoped) the same thing.

Our bullpen is getting stronger, our catcher situation is fixed, we just need that big bat...

No, I think you're wrong. That money will go towards paying Koch's fat $6.375M salary this year. Sorry to burst your bubble...

...and scene...

Exactly...

I really don't understand your logic when you believe we have been given 2 mill to spend on Beltran immediately after we acquire Koch and his big salary

I mean come on, what's the deal here?

Did you think they shipped us Koch along with his salary paid in full AND 2 mill?

No, I think you're wrong. That money will go towards paying Koch's fat $6.375M salary this year. Sorry to burst your bubble...

...and scene...

Exactly...

I really don't understand your logic when you believe we have been given 2 mill to spend on Beltran immediately after we acquire Koch and his big salary

Did you think they shipped us Koch along with his salary paid in full AND 2 mill? From the report I read the Sox have agreed to pick up "more than half" of Koch's remaining 3.75MIL.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines (registration req'd)

Also I just heard on SC that the marlins were "sleepers" in the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes.

No, I think you're wrong.? That money will go towards paying Koch's fat $6.375M salary this year.? Sorry to burst your bubble...

...and scene...

Exactly...

Did you think they shipped us Koch along with his salary paid in full AND 2 mill? From the report I read the Sox have agreed to pick up "more than half" of Koch's remaining 3.75MIL.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines (registration req'd)

Also I just heard on SC that the marlins were "sleepers" in the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes. That works for me if the Marlins only pay maybe $1.25-$1.5 million of his contract.

No, I think you're wrong.? That money will go towards paying Koch's fat $6.375M salary this year.? Sorry to burst your bubble...

...and scene...

Exactly...

Also I just heard on SC that the marlins were "sleepers" in the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes. That works for me if the Marlins only pay maybe $1.25-$1.5 million of his contract. That would be $1.25 - $1.5M of KOCH's contract, according to your estimates. That still leaves a big lump of money that would have to be picked up if we got Beltran.

We may be sleepers in the Beltran sweeps, but I dont know if we will get him because of two main factors:

1) Money

2) Bora$$

If we get him, we will loose him at the end of the season - regardless of whether we win another WS or not (it didnt stop Fudge from jumping ship). I dont mind losing some prospects for another championship run, it just depends on what the price would be.

On the poll on the frontpage of sportsline.com it asks who do you think will acquire Beltran.

The choices:

Yankees

White Sox

Cubs

Mets

Dodgers

and

Marlins

And the nonexistent choice of he is staying with KC.

I guess it must be true that the Marlins are watching him closely.

Let's look at the candidates:

Yankees - can only give cash. Dont have much in the way of prospects.

White Sox - have the money but I dont know what they can offer in exchange in terms of talent. Nor why because they will need more pitching help and they still have Ordonez coming back later in the year.

Cubs - uh, no.

Mets - just got Hidalgo for Weathers and a bucket of toxic waste. No need there for Beltran - especially because they already have Cameron in CF. And their 3B stud prospect is untouchable.

Dodgers - cash, but what talent would they have available? Plus it seems they need some pitching too.

Marlins - we have the talent to trade, but the cash is not known.

We may be the sleeper here, but I think if we were to go after it, we would have a very good chance seeing that money could be spent here by us. We just do not know.

Am I the only one thinking that the extra cash we got from Chicago could be used to pay off some of Beltrans contract?

huh? the extra cash is needed to pay KOCH's contract. unless you want to pay him 4 million for a half-season.

here was my reading of Koch's deal: he gets $4+ million in 2004, which is upped to $6.5 if he "finishes" 60+ games. he's not finishing any games with the Marlins. So, wouldn't that mean that he's getting $4.5 mill (of which, he's still owed 2-3 mill)? that would mean that Koch is, essentially, free to us.

huh? the extra cash is needed to pay KOCH's contract. unless you want to pay him 4 million for a half-season.

here was my reading of Koch's deal: he gets $4+ million in 2004, which is upped to $6.5 if he "finishes" 60+ games. he's not finishing any games with the Marlins. So, wouldn't that mean that he's getting $4.5 mill (of which, he's still owed 2-3 mill)? that would mean that Koch is, essentially, free to us. Koch is due $6.4M total this year, which means $3.9M is owed for the rest of the year. The Sox are going to pay more than half of this amount, so that leaves the Marlins with approx $1.5M to pay this year.

Not a bad price, provided he does the job.

This is not going to have a positive financial impact on a possible Beltran trade....probably wouldn't affect it much either way.

I think we have a shot at Beltran. If we add a bat like that to this lineup, who knows what could happen?

Yeah, but I still think Frank Catalanotto is the bat we should be looking at. A lower cost alternative to Beltran who won't force us to give away the farm.

I think we have a shot at Beltran. If we add a bat like that to this lineup, who knows what could happen?

Yeah, but I still think Frank Catalanotto is the bat we should be looking at. A lower cost alternative to Beltran who won't force us to give away the farm. And BTW, the Blue Jays are out of it, and should be motivated to look towards next year very soon.