Billy Koch

fishfan25

i had to open a thread about the new marlin....

no haters only for the ones who have a good opinion.

i personally am kinda happy with this trade.

i always like billy and i see him doing good here.

I am on billy's side and all of you should to because the guy hasen't even seen his jersey yet.

i know this guy can do good here. all he has to do is avoid injury, concentrate, and bring the heat!

i am gonna miss wilson valez though...he was a real good prospect.

anyway the best of luck to valdez and billy koch who in my opinion can be a big-time set up man for this club.

he can be the answer if he wants to be.

ooh man it's funny my mom was making me go to sleep and then i go to the computer then click on this site and BOOM!

we got billy....thank goodness for my stuborness.

:marlins :cheers :D :party

i hope Billy Koch can help our bullpen out. Thats what we need help on, The Bullpen. He has had a history of Blowing saves and stuff but i remeber one year when he was very dominant. Lets hope he can pass it on to us.

very true post and yeh he can be dominent...he has the stuff.

When you aren't closing there is a different mentality as well so this could help him rebound, the change of scenary could help as well. We will see if this ends up being worth it. The best Wilson ever was going to do on this team in be the new Mordi. I like the trade right now and would not be surprised to see him pitching tomorrow since Jack likes to throw the new guys out into the fire.

When you aren't closing there is a different mentality as well so this could help him rebound, the change of scenary could help as well. We will see if this ends up being worth it. The best Wilson ever was going to do on this team in be the new Mordi. I like the trade right now and would not be surprised to see him pitching tomorrow since Jack likes to throw the new guys out into the fire.

making prediction:

penny goes 6

manzanillo in the 7th

bill in the 8th

and armando notching in his 25th save.

book it!

fish defeat rangers.

im not hattin ...... it all depends on the Billy Koch we got..... did we get the guy that was the s*** after Jason Isringhousam left the A's or did we gte the $$$$$ sucking reject from the sox??????

ova here he should succeed...... if he cant get his carrer back on track ova here id sya he's done with and he will neva be the player he was 2 years ago.....

but on the bright side he is better than 85 % the dudes we have in pen now......

making prediction:

penny goes 6

manzanillo in the 7th

bill in the 8th

and armando notching in his 25th save.

book it!

fish defeat rangers.

:blink:

I think you have an awful understanding how bullpens work. Sorry, I don't mean to be mean, but this thing about us 'lacking a 8th inning guy' or having a bunch of '6th and 7th inning guys' has gotten a bit silly over the past week or so. The 8th inning isn't any more challenging to pitch in than the 7th. A bases loaded 1 out situation is hard no matter what inning it occurs in. Even pitching in long relief mopping up after bad starts is trouble, you need to shut down the opposition for 2-3 innings to give your team a shot.

Long story short a relief pitcher's use is determined by the in-game situation, not what inning it is (and when the pitcher spot comes up to bat has some say too).

You can be assured McKeon will throw Koch into the game and see what he's got.

Worth the risk.

That's the best summary you can make for this trade. We didn't give up much at all, it's well worth it.

that's the way I'm looking at it. It's a low risk deal with a possible high reward. There's nothing else to it. Koch has sucked with the white sox, but with a different surrounding and different pitching coach maybe he can turn it around. If not, all we gave up was an older prospect that will be nothing more than a good utility man in the big leagues.

I'm not the happiest about this trade because I've been watching him pitch alot this year. But one thing I know for sure is our mgmt hasn't made a wrong move in a long time.

I get FSN Chicago and have seen a ton of White Sox games and have many friends who are White Sox fans. I am skeptical because during his dominant periods with Oakland/Toronto, he had a 98-101 MPH fastball going and during his stay in Chicago, it was a 91-94 MPH fastball that hitters could pick up on very easily. He also had a very difficult time getting the lead-off hitter out and I don't think I ever witnessed a 1-2-3 inning.

But, He was also put under a microscope in Chicago. The White Sox traded away Keith Foulke for Koch, who put up great numbers in Oakland. This in turn put added pressure on Billy. The pressure will be gone in South Florida.

With that being said, he has the potential and the right attitude. That attitude will make him want to get better and mix that with the magic of Wayne Rosenthal and we have a good combination.

I hope everything works out for Koch because he has the chance of being a very big part of this team and you know he wants to try everything he can to get the label of "bust" out from in front of his name.

Let's be realistic here, Billy Koch is not a great pitcher. He is not even a good pitcher. He is a guy that throws hard that has thrown himself out. He used to be the hardest thrower in the league (I think he hit 103 once or twice), but he doesnt have the same velocity. Bottom line, the guy doesnt have it anymore. BUT, this is a thread for optimisim, and there is ONE thing that we can all be very optimistic about. Koch has never pitched in the NL. Nobody knows him. Just look at Dontrelle's success in the last two games against AL opposition. While player movement and interleague play have reduced the role facing the opposite league, an advantage is still there. With half the season left, it is unlikely that anyone in the NL is actually going to pick up on this guy. Who knows? Maybe they have never seen anyone that throws as hard as he does. Bascially, the guy isnt what he used to be, but hopefully this one little quirk he brings with him will make up for his diminished talent.

Everyone was trashing Benitez about his past where he was infamous for blowing saves or choking when the game was on the line and now look at him, he's easily become one of the best closers in the league.

Give Koch a chance, wait until he actually blows a game for us before you start trashing him. You guys who don't like this deal are out of your mind, Benitez simply cannot be used every game to pitch half or all of the 8th and the 9th innings. Armando has been getting overworked and we desperately needed a setup man to fill the void and this is what Koch is going to do.

Here is my spin on this deal:

White Sox give up a servicable major league reliever and the cash to pay for him for a second/third tier minor leaguer that the Marlins would never use.

As a lifetime White Sox fan, I think that you're right on the money. A big part of the reason why Koch was unsuccessful in Chicago was the fact that Keith Foulke was hugely popular among both fans and teammates and when the Sox traded Foulke for Koch, Koch was massively resented. Even before he threw his 1st pitch in a MLB game for the Sox, he was probably the Sox player who the fans hated the most and they really went after him every time he got on the mound. In other words, Koch was in a situation in which he was subjected to far more pressure than other closers were, and being a closer is a high pressure spot as it is.

For what its worth, if Marlins fans and players alike embrace Koch and cut him some slack, I can easily see Koch becoming the comeback player of the season. Even if he does not fully regain his pre-White Sox form, the Marlins have clearly gotten the best end of the deal.

For Sox fans, this is a depressing deal. Even more depressing is those of us who feel this way are not allowed to post our thoughts on the matter on the main Sox fansite forum at whitesoxinteractive.com because the moderators there are really trolls in disguise who take the position that you either agree with them or don't post at "their" forum. In other words, if you are a Sox fan like myself who believe that the Marlins have (A) gotten the best end of this deal and (B) have a very good management team that is solidly committed to winning, you have to post your opinions elsewhere because the troll-moderators at WSI will not allow disagreement with their pre-ordained beliefs.