T-Mac is Now a Rocket?

JMLinkinPark

Monday, June 21, 2004

ESPN.com news reports

ESPN's Jim Gray reports that the Rockets and Magic have finalized a deal to send Tracy McGrady to Houston -- provided none of the other principal names in the multi-player trade are selected in Tuesday's expansion draft.

The trade also includes Juwan Howard to Houston, while Orlando will get Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato in return. Of those five players, McGrady and Francis are protected and cannot be drafted by the Bobcats. If Charlotte passes on Howard, Mobley and Cato, then the deal is done, Gray reports.

To make the trade work financially under the salary-cap rules, it's believed the Magic also will send Tyronn Lue and Andrew DeClercq to Houston.

Jeff Fried, Francis' agent, told the Houston Chronicle on Monday that Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson told him the trade was not complete but was close.

"I spoke to Carroll and it was not a done deal," Fried told the paper. "It's close. It's subject to a few contingencies."

In the expansion draft (Tuesday, 7 ET), the Bobcats will select 14 players from existing NBA rosters. Few of those players are expected to wind up on Charlotte's opening-night roster. Charlotte could make several side deals with teams to avoid drafting specific players.

McGrady can opt out of his seven-year, $93 million contract after next season, and has said he will exercise that option unless Orlando improves dramatically from the 21-61 record this past season. But the Magic have vowed to trade him, rather than letting the four-time All Star leave without any compensation -- like Shaquille O'Neal did eight years ago when he signed with the Lakers as a free agent.

Since McGrady's declaration, trade rumors involving the NBA's leading scorer have been flying, although the Magic have denied that any trades are on the horizon.

In fact, Orlando general manager John Weisbrod said Saturday that the club is still in contract discussions with McGrady.

"I certainly will not confirm that T-Mac is going to be traded," Weisbrod said. "I'm going to continue to say on T-Mac what I have said for the last month, which is that Arn [Tellem, McGrady's agent] and I are in discussions."

McGrady told the Orlando Sentinel on Saturday that he could not discuss the situation "until it's official ... after the draft."

Added McGrady: "I can't let my tricks out of the bag. I don't have any comment."

Francis, who has a $75 million contract, has told the Rockets that he does not want to be traded to Orlando. The Magic had the NBA's worst record last season while the Rockets made the playoffs. But Gray reports that Francis has no veto power and that the deal does not hinge on his approval.

"I thought we were really building something, something very good in Houston," Francis said. "Obviously that's not the direction they want to go. I still think we could be a very good team.

"I'm not crying. Like I told you before, I know this is a business. Things like that happen. I'm not mad. I'm not upset. This is what they're trying to do. But like I said, I still think we could be something."

Francis wouldn't comment about the possibility of going to the Magic.

Fried told the newspaper that Francis wasn't happy about the prospects of playing for the Magic in a rebuilding situation.

"Steve's preference is to not go to Orlando," Fried said. "Steve's tasted the playoffs. (The Rockets) got a series under their belts. He was looking forward to going further with the same Rockets team but with another year of experience together. This is certainly not his preference. He loves Houston."

Francis has averaged 19.3 points, 6.4 assists and 6.1 rebounds in five seasons with the Rockets.

McGrady led the NBA in scoring the past two seasons, averaging 28 points per game last season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

he aint goin to the Heat....i'd like to see T-Mac go to the Pacers personally....As a Magic fan, I'm excited about what we could get from Indiana....although, except for the fact that Franchise doesn't wanna play in Orlando, I'm happy with the trade.

Yeah that's what I was hoping for, a trade with Indiana.

I'm not a big fan of Francis. He is not a real point guard in my eyes and turns the ball over way too much. I like Mobley he's a good outside shooter which was what we were desperately missing last year. If this trade does go through, I might think about trading Francis. Try to fill all the wholes because we have plenty to fill.

i think trading t-mac is the best thing for the magic. right now he's eating up a big part of the payroll, so is hill, but we cant do anything with hill for a while, plus he's hurt. by trading t-mac, the magic can now add 3 valuable players to their roster, rather than having one amazing player, plus if the magic draft okafor, man...watch out!

i'd rather see what the Pacers are willing to give us.

If our team (Magic) consisted of Ron Artest, Jonathan Bender, Al Harrington (I believe he was the 3rd name mentioned in rumors), Drew Gooden, Okafor/Howard, a possibly healthy (yet not counting on it) Grant Hill, along with role players....i'd be more than pleased.

If this trade is not a rip off I do not know what one is.

Rockets are gettin a top 5 player in the league, A good guy in the middle and a good PG off the bench for Cuttino "I love to shoot" Mobley, Steve "not van gundy's kind of PG" Francis and Kelvin "Overpaid" Cato

Come on this trade would propel the Rockets to one of the best teams in the league.

McGrady>Francis

Howard> Cato

Lue< Mobley

Now with TMac, Yao, Jim Jackson,Howard starting and Mo Taylor, Eric Piatkowski and Tyron lue coming off the bench, they could be one of the deepest teams in the league.

Also Derek Fisher is opting out of his contract and wants to play for the Rockets.

Instant upgrade for the Magic...

NO MORE TYRON LUE! THANK GOODNESS FOR THEM!

They got a great PG in Francis, and Cato and Mobley aren't shabby either.

Too bad FRancis is going to be a little b**** and whine his whole ime down there and they will be forced to trade him.

I am getting sick and tired of this guy now, he b****** on draft night and got his way and he will probably get his way about this as well.

Why doesn't he just suck it uo and make the best of the situation and prove he is a good enough player to help a bad team?

oh....Florida Today (which, for their credit has good Magic coverage....same can't be said for D-Rays and/or Marlins coverage) reports that the trade will be Cato, Mobley, and Francis for T-Mac, Lue, REECE GAINES, and JUWAN HOWARD.

Once again, assuming the Bobcats don't take Cato, Mobley, or Howard.

Is it just me, or does anyone else miss T-Hud and/or Darrell Armstrong.

Bogans is a scrapper, I saw him many times bury UF. He's like Prince and the rest of those UK guys.

It's a shame they're giving up Gaines, but so be it. This is still a good trade. I just hope for the Magics sake that Francis doesn't whine from the second he comes here and create a problem.

Francis is a baby. period.

mobley isnt as bad as you people make him out to be.

he isnt that bad defensively and has worked hard to improve defensively and has shot less with Yao there and JVG wanting to make Yao the focus of his offense.

The real problem was with Francis.

Cato emerged last year finally as a good power forward...but it was done with Yao there next to him....but he worked hard adn finally put things together.

Juwon Howard is a b***h. And a dirty player. I hate him. Now I get to see him on a more regular basis. Joy.

Reece Gaines didnt do a damn thing last year.

Lue is of no consequence.

Oh and the Bobcats I hear may take ZaZa Pachulia from the Magic.

Last year's draft was real productive for the Magic wasnt it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1825839

same ole same ole on the trade....except for this:

Francis told Houston television station KRIV on Monday that if he goes to Orlando, he wants Los Angeles Lakers star Shaquille O'Neal as a teammate. He said he talked to O'Neal on Monday.

I have no idea how the Magic could pull that off... Maybe a Trade of Francis to the Lakers?

Not sure how'd anything like that would happen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1825839

same ole same ole on the trade....except for this:

Francis told Houston television station KRIV on Monday that if he goes to Orlando, he wants Los Angeles Lakers star Shaquille O'Neal as a teammate. He said he talked to O'Neal on Monday.

I have no idea how the Magic could pull that off... Maybe a Trade of Francis to the Lakers?

Not sure how'd anything like that would happen. it would take francis and a lot more.

it would make little sense for the lakers to pick up francis though.