Nunez demands trade

Hotcorner

Frustrated Nunez demands to play or leave

By Harvey Fialkov

Staff writer

Posted July 2 2004

ATLANTA ? Marlins reserve outfielder Abraham Nunez is fed up with his lack of playing time and issued an ultimatum before Thursday's game.

"I just don't want to be here sitting on the bench," said Nunez, 27, who is batting .189 (10 of 53) with one homer and four RBI. "I want them to make some decision, like I say, play me or trade me."

Nunez, who has started 10 of the first 79 games, believes that a trade is imminent, particularly after the Marlins brought up rookie outfielder Chris Aguila earlier this week.

"That showed me they're going to do something with me, trade me or whatever," Nunez said before Thursday's game. "I think it's coming."

Nunez, who is 0 for his past 10 and hasn't gotten a hit since June 8 -- his first major league homer -- doesn't have much trade value. He said his agent called the Marlins and pleaded with them to make a move.

"I don't do anything but sit on the bench," Nunez said. "I feel bad, not frustrated, but that's not right."

Nunez batted .410 and led the majors with 10 homers in spring training, and the Marlins were hoping this would be his breakout season.

Instead, Nunez just wants to break out of Florida.

sigh.... "demands" a trade...

:lol

I think someone should let Nunez know that there was no need for a trade demand...You idiot we have been trying to trade you but knowone wants you...trust me at this point Beinfest has offered you for a sack of BP baseball and knowone has called...if i were u id be very happy to be were am at right now cause next week you could be playing in Mexico..

I don't blame the guy.

When Lenny "I used to feast in the eighth inning, now I feast at Denny's" Harris gets more playing time than you do, it's pretty pathetic. Being the guy your manager sends up there in the ninth with 2 outs in a blowout does nothing except ruin his chances to catch on elsewhere. You can point at his BA and say the guy can't hit but the fact is he so often comes up in the worst possible situations there's not much more you can expect.

Obviously he's in Jack's doghouse and been so from the start. When Conine was unable to play, Nunez, at least in my opinion should have taken over the position, or at least been given a chance to win the the position instead of Jack playing Harris, Sutton, Easley, and Aguila ahead of him.

It really doesn't matter whether Nunez can hit or not anymore because he is never going to play for the Marlins as long as Jack is managing. As much as I love Jack this is the kind of thing you hear the BBTN guys who played for Jack complaining. The decision is Jack's and if that's the one he made I'll hold my nose and go along.

Damn, where is this writers journalistic integrity? The title of the article is "Frustrated Nunez demands to play or leave" and about half way through the article Nunez clearly states "I feel bad, not frustrated, but that's not right."

But anyways about Nunez, get him out of here. Even if we can trade him for AA prospects and nothing else... get him out of here!

I don't blame the guy.

It really doesn't matter whether Nunez can hit or not anymore because he is never going to play for the Marlins as long as Jack is managing. As much as I love Jack this is the kind of thing you hear the BBTN guys who played for Jack complaining. The decision is Jack's and if that's the one he made I'll hold my nose and go along.

436379[/snapback]

I agree (again). Jack goes by his gut. Sometimes right, sometimes not.

He's my favorite dinosaur.

I think he's right about Nunez, and I think the FO has been trying to trade him for months and I wonder why his value is apparently "zilch."

I don't blame the guy.

When Lenny "I used to feast in the eighth inning, now I feast at Denny's" Harris gets more playing time than you do, it's pretty pathetic. Being the guy your manager sends up there in the ninth with 2 outs in a blowout does nothing except ruin his chances to catch on elsewhere. You can point at his BA and say the guy can't hit but the fact is he so often comes up in the worst possible situations there's not much more you can expect.

Obviously he's in Jack's doghouse and been so from the start. When Conine was unable to play, Nunez, at least in my opinion should have taken over the position, or at least been given a chance to win the the position instead of Jack playing Harris, Sutton, Easley, and Aguila ahead of him.

436379[/snapback]

I think he was given the opportunity. 53 ABs are a decent amount of ABs. No need to bash Jack on this one. Conine + Nunez struggling means that we needed to give the opportunity to other guys.

I think he was given the opportunity. 53 ABs are a decent amount of ABs. No need to bash Jack on this one. Conine + Nunez struggling means that we needed to give the opportunity to other guys.

436448[/snapback]

no, considering his performance in spring training, 53 ABs doesnt satisfy being given an opportunity.

i mean let's be serious, it doesnt take a PhD in mathematics to know that abe nunez is better than those 53 ABs indicate.

I don't blame the guy.

436379[/snapback]

even in starts nunez hasnt done crap. i think jack gave him extra starts early to see what he can do when it counts...he couldnt produce....so nunez is relegated to what he is best...a speedy guy with a good glove.

this has happened numerous times on good clubs.

abe needs to be a professional and be thankful for a MLB job.

436448[/snapback]

no, considering his performance in spring training, 53 ABs doesnt satisfy being given an opportunity.

i mean let's be serious, it doesnt take a PhD in mathematics to know that abe nunez is better than those 53 ABs indicate.

436456[/snapback]

well, he should have at least looked semi-decent. He looked lost at the plate. . .

And he has a crappy attitude.