White Sox send Loaiza to Yanks for Contreras

eadearmas

ESPN News

SportsTicker

CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox, locked in a battle for the division lead in the American League Central, took a major gamble Saturday, sending steady righthander Esteban Loaiza to the New York Yankees for erratic righthander Jose Contreras.

While both pitchers are 32, Loaiza is 9-5 in 2004 and 30-14 in two seasons with Chicago and started last year's All-Star Game. Contreras is 15-7 with a 4.64 ERA in his two seasons with New York but has been demoted to the minor leagues in each of the last two years.

"Jose is a pitcher we have pursued for some time," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said. "Adding a pitcher of Jose's caliber gives us a solid starting rotation for the remainder of this season and into the future."

Not that Im a Loaiza fan.

White Sox got fleeced though...Just wait until Contreras has to start a big game...Ugh...

He'll put up good numbers against the Tigers, Royals and Mariners but when he plays in a big game or against a good lineup, he unravels.

If you want a guy to be your 5th starter and never start a big game for you, Contreras is your man though. The addition of Loaiza is alright I guess, but in my opinion its addition by subtraction.

Contreras = younger than Loaiza

Contreras = unproven, yet to break out

Loaiza = had One good year his whole career, falling off fast.

Good deal for Sox.

487961[/snapback]

Agreed 100 percent.

The Yankee fans won't be so happy with this deal as they see Loaiza's 87 MPH "cutters" go flying into monument park.

Didn't the sox just sign Loiza this year?

But I've always liked Contreras. Part of what made it so appealing for the Sox is that the Yank's paid in full for Contreras and theyre also going to pay for Loiza. So, I'm sure whatever happens, Contreras will accept lower pay next year and will re sign with the Sox. He's a good pitcher. But as it stands, its a good deal both ways.

Contreras = younger than Loaiza

Contreras = unproven, yet to break out

Loaiza = had One good year his whole career, falling off fast.

Good deal for Sox.

487961[/snapback]

Agreed 100 percent.

The Yankee fans won't be so happy with this deal as they see Loaiza's 87 MPH "cutters" go flying into monument park.

487992[/snapback]

at first i didn't see why the sox made this trade, but after looking at loaiza's career stats, i think you guys might be right.

i will point out that, best case scenario, contreras is only 3 weeks younger than loaiza. if i were a betting man, i'd say he's probably older.

to me, contreras looks like a roll of the dice, but there's no way i could say a particular side "lost" in this trade if the yanks will be paying for contreras.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.