Re-Sign Easley

Flag Man

Damion Easley was given a chance by the Marlins. He produced. His market value has gone way up. And, being a competitor, he would like to have a chance to start somewhere.

But, IMO, the Marlins need to keep him. What if there was a signficant injury to veterans Castillo or Gonzalez or Conine or (yes, even) Lowell. Do you put in good journeyman Mordecai, or bring up an untested minor-leaguer?

A play-off contender needs a Damion Easley on the bench.

Pay the man, for God-Sakes. He earned it. We need him.

First of all let me congratulate you on spelling "re-sign" correctly! :thumbup

I happen agree on Easley. Even if he costs a million dollars in 2005 in my estimation he'll be worth it, and more to the point, his ability to provide an everyday ML caliber performance off the bench (something Mordy - who I respect immensely - or Harris simply cannot do), in the event of injury at four or five positions makes an investment in him almost mandatory.

Between a backup infielder and a backup outfielder I'd rather have the latter. Conine needs a platoon partner to be productive, and who knows who we'll have in RF next year. We have options at infield with Josh Wilson, Mike Mordecai, Lenny Harris, Joe Dillon. They may not be great, but after Chris Aguila we have no one in the outfield.

The question is whether Easley would want to come back as a utility guy. He has obviously proven that he can still play. As a free agent, he will have the final say on where he goes. I really doubt he'd come back to be a backup if someone else offers him a starting job.

I've love to see him stay, but I don't think it's possible.

Easley is a solid backup player, has produced at the plate at times, and is a standout guy. But we don't have the payroll to pay +$1m to a backup. Just the way things are.

604335[/snapback]

I'm in this camp as well. If he can be had for under $1 mil, than fine. Other than that, let him walk.

He's not going to want to come back. He wants to start everyday.

605011[/snapback]

Not to be argumentative but I had heard or read otherwise, that at this stage in his career Easley might prefer a platoon/frequently off the bench role to an everyday one IF it was with the right team. He certainly collected bigtime from the Tigers so I doubt money is the motivating factor.

Who knows what's going on inside his head or what motivates him. But my guess is, and it's just that, that he'll be back with the Fish come opening day.

The only way we should sign easley is if he agrees to be a utility player and signs for under 1 million. Which he really deserves more. Not only that but can he put up the same numbers he put up last year, or was that his last hurrah before settling into the dust pan of history? I say look at the free gaent market see what else becomes available at low prices, we may find another easley. And then also look through our AAA team and see if someone can win a job in ST

I happen agree on Easley. Even if he costs a million dollars in 2005 in my estimation he'll be worth it, and more to the point, his ability to provide an everyday ML caliber performance off the bench (something Mordy - who I respect immensely - or Harris simply cannot do), in the event of injury at four or five positions makes an investment in him almost mandatory.

604386[/snapback]

The few herein who disagree paying Easley are like people who own a nice house and want to add a Spa but to do so they are willing to give up their house insurance.

Easley is Insurance. As I said above, a Contender must have an Easley on the bench.

I've always been impressed with his smoothness at 2nd and short when I really watched him with the Expos in Jupiter Spring Training.

His first two outings at 1B he looked awkward. Thereafter, he was really "smooth" at 1B and made some really nice plays.

Budget restrictions are one thing, but going without INSURANCE like Easley is insane.

604386[/snapback]

The few herein who disagree paying Easley are like people who own a nice house and want to add a Spa but to do so they are willing to give up their house insurance.

Easley is Insurance. As I said above, a Contender must have an Easley on the bench.

I've always been impressed with his smoothness at 2nd and short when I really watched him with the Expos in Jupiter Spring Training.

His first two outings at 1B he looked awkward. Thereafter, he was really "smooth" at 1B and made some really nice plays.

Budget restrictions are one thing, but going without INSURANCE like Easley is insane.

605505[/snapback]

Look for cheaper alternatives. There are other things this team needs than easley

604386[/snapback]

605505[/snapback]

Look for cheaper alternatives. There are other things this team needs than easley

605507[/snapback]

I have often used the "insurance" analogy here and Easley, at least based on his performance in 2004, certainly seems to be a prime example.

Not only did he display a good glove wherever he played, as importantly he provided power off the bench, something a team like the Marlins sorely needs if they want to be competitive.

As for cheaper alternatives, a) I'm not sure who they are and b) even if you signed someone cheaper and saved $200-300,000 does it really matter in the longrun? The Marlins (at least since Loria took the helm) have consistently spent money in the second half of the season to bolster the team so I think a few extra bucks one way or the other is irrelevant.

Where I do see some savings is once and for all cutting the cord with Lenny Harris. I love the guy and obviously so does Jack, but jettisoning Lenny and keeping Damion and let's say Aguila, gives you two guys who between them can play almost every onfield position (except catcher) if called upon. I think Mordy stays if for no reason other than (and there are other reasons as well) he is your emergency third string catcher. So I see Easley, Mordy and Aguila (and Redmond)as the primary candidates to fill our bench slots in 2005.

604386[/snapback]

605505[/snapback]

605507[/snapback]

I have often used the "insurance" analogy here and Easley, at least based on his performance in 2004, certainly seems to be a prime example.

Not only did he display a good glove wherever he played, as importantly he provided power off the bench, something a team like the Marlins sorely needs if they want to be competitive.

As for cheaper alternatives, a) I'm not sure who they are and b) even if you signed someone cheaper and saved $200-300,000 does it really matter in the longrun? The Marlins (at least since Loria took the helm) have consistently spent money in the second half of the season to bolster the team so I think a few extra bucks one way or the other is irrelevant.

Where I do see some savings is once and for all cutting the cord with Lenny Harris. I love the guy and obviously so does Jack, but jettisoning Lenny and keeping Damion and let's say Aguila, gives you two guys who between them can play almost every onfield position (except catcher) if called upon. I think Mordy stays if for no reason other than (and there are other reasons as well) he is your emergency third string catcher. So I see Easley, Mordy and Aguila (and Redmond)as the primary candidates to fill our bench slots in 2005.

605514[/snapback]

The fact is that i would love to see easley stay, but again what will his price be? And plus that hell perform like he did last year is not a sure thing. Aguila defintely should get a shot, mordy should stay, b/c hes cheap and can play any infield position, not to mention he can pinch run. I dont kno what lenny's pricetag would be, but if cheap hes also a solid pinch hitter.

I really want to keep Easley, I said in Spring Training that he would be very useful off of the bench in the coming season, and I was exactly right. I also found that he was extremely good in the clutch, or when filling in for another player.

Hopefully he would lower his contract demands to stay with the Marlins, who gave him the shot he needed. I would think that this would be the same with Carl Pavano, but I am not as confident about that now as I was a month ago.