If we trade Enc...

MarlinGuru

(participating in new thread previously and actively well-established)

If we get Delgado, we will dump Enc (packaged with Stokes, rather the valued Stokes and not the lesser valued Aguila and Eric Reed.) With Delgado and no Enc we have a committee of four (competing) for RF. Aguila, Reed, Conine, Willingham.

If we don't get Delgado, I hope we save Cash for a mid-season run.

(participating in new thread previously and actively well-established)

If we get Delgado, we will dump Enc (packaged with Stokes, rather the valued Stokes and not the lesser valued Aguila and Eric Reed.) With Delgado and no Enc we have we have a committee of four (competing) for RF. Aguila, Reed, Conine, Willingham.

If we don't get Delgado, I hope we save Cash for a mid-season run.

666350[/snapback]

I agree that we would dump Enc's 4.5 mil, if and only if, Conine is healthy enough to start the season. Of your 4 man platoon I would say this:

Aguila lacks the power to be an every day corner outfielder. However, his ability to play any of the three outfield spots offers, coupled with his decent OBP makes him a strong candidate for the fourth OF spot.

Reed has gap power, with 80 speed, but doesn't have the arm or sufficent power to play in RF. If he puts up another .300 year at Carolina this year, the Marlins will have to make a call on what to do with him.

Willingham is the consummate Moneyball player. Great OPS, but no position. He will never be an everyday catcher and the reports on his defense in the OF are lukewarm at best and at 25-26 he's not likely to improve significantly in the field.

That said his bat is too good to keep out the bigs much longer. Moreso, than Stokes I would think we could package Willingham with Enc to an AL moneyball team ( like Boston ) for decent value. There he could provide depth at C,1b,OF or DH.

I see Conine with the fish for one last season, Hermidia should solve our RF concerns after that.

Just my opinion

Huh?

Aguila should be given the 4th OF spot, I agree - but he hasnt 'proved' anything. I like the guy, think he has big upside, but let's nto get ahead of ourselves. Conine will be getting looks out in RF IF we get Delgado and IF we trade Enc.

Willingham has a nice bat - but that is it. He needs to get a position - RF may be a good option, but with Hermida waiting in the wings and plenty of guys to hold the position down for now, I really dont see this guy fitting in there. His best bet is to stay in the minors for another year, get a lot of innings catching and get called up later on in the season. He could then slide in for Treanor NEXT year...

I saw Aguila play a few times but I'd be a liar if I said I could make a definitive statement about his abilities, offensively or defensively.

He seems to have a pretty quick bat and never embarrassed himself in the field but a couple of appearances here and there hardly guarantee he's MLB ready.

That said, of the group being discussed, and while others may have a higher "ceiling", I have to believe he's at the top of the list "right now". It will be interesting to see how prepared this crop of guys are coming into spring training because they all have something to prove.

Proved himself???? All he proved was that he could consistantly play RF in the ninth inning as a D-replacement. I would not be suprised if Aguila does not make the team out of spring training. Teams will release players who are better than him towards the end of spring and we will pick someoneup. Ask for willingham, same thing these are not the kind of players that playoff caliber teams have on there bench. But we will see....please guys try to be subjective and not such homers.

I'd pick Willingham and Aguila over Lenny Harris, Raul Chavez and Clay Bellinger any day of the week.

Come on. Aguila showed a little pop in his bat and hit with more consistency once he caught up to major league pitching. Wilingham destroyed the AA (where the bulk of the top minor league prospects play) and showed a good eye (.110 isolated patience) and power in the majors despite a lack of playing time. They should enter spring training as favorites over players with less talent and unspectacular pro experience (DiFelice, Dillon, this mythical lefty minor league OFer we have, and so on).

Willingham has no future at catcher, so most likely in 2006 willingham and aguila can compete for that starting hole that will be left by niner. But as far as this year goes, I doubt willingham makes the bigs unless he kicks ass in spring training. Aguila can defintely be a good 4th OF, and you arent really wasting his talent by having him on the bench like you would be doin with willingham. Also dillon may crack the lineup. I also think that treanor will be our 2nd catcher

Why doesn't he have any future at catcher? There's many good-hit no-field catchers out there.

Even if we may have one of those starting at catcher (LoDuca), what need is there for a defensive replacement? We have no knuckleballers. No large backstop. The chances of both catchers getting injured in a same game is very very slim. Gimme Willingham and another reliever, reserve infielder or outfielder.

Willingham has no future at catcher, so most likely in 2006 willingham and aguila can compete for that starting hole that will be left by niner. But as far as this year goes, I doubt willingham makes the bigs unless he kicks ass in spring training. Aguila can defintely be a good 4th OF, and you arent really wasting his talent by having him on the bench like you would be doin with willingham. Also dillon may crack the lineup. I also think that treanor will be our 2nd catcher

667390[/snapback]

I think Hermida will come in for conine in 2006. And about treanor being our second catcher, I think it will be Difelice. He has more experience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.