New to board - Some thoughts on upcoming season

CanadianFishFan

Hey everyone. I finally found a place to talk about my marlins....not many Canadians that cheer for the fish. I can't wait for this season! Man what a rush the Delgado signing was!

So, here are my thoughts about this year.

1) We finally are sitting pretty on the offensive front. There were so many times last year I got frustrated when we couldn't muster up more than a couple of runs for several games in a row. That shouldn't be a problem this year.

2) Our defense is still amazing.

3) Starting pitching, as long as we stay healthy, is strong. I would love to add another quality starter, but not sure how we could do this.

4) Our bullpen is my main worry at this point. I hope Alfonseca has another quality year, but I am not 100% confident. Mota I believe will step up to the challenge of being a closer. Beyond those two, I think our bullpen needs some help. If Spooneybarger comes back and stays healthy, I think he would fill a gap. Does anyone have info on Fox? That man was my hero in 2003!

I would love to have a quality middle reliever. Dontrelle, Leiter and Valdez are each pitchers I hope to get a strong 6 innings from. I don't see any of those three averaging more innings than 6 innings per start therefore our bullpen will be used for three games in a row rather heavily.

Bottom line, I don't want to have to go through watching Nate Bump or Kensing coming in to pitch simply cause there isn't any other option.

Beyond that, I don't mind the idea of trading Encarnacion. Not saying that I don't like him, but he didn't impress me last year and don't think that the money we are spending is worth the price tag. Hopefully he changes my opinion.

Welcome to the site! I agree on trading Enc, he just seemed like he didn't want to be on the field last season, several times he didn't go for the ball. Trade em for something, anything. Bullpen is our strength, we signed plenty of guys and should be well packed in the pen this season. Offense and defense, we got it, just hoping our starting pitching has a breakout year for AJ and Beckett. Again, welcome!

First, WELCOME!!!! Second, I have a feeling D-Train will step up this year and become more consistent. I am looking for him to add 3-4 MPH on his fastball. If he's throwing 95-96 with his deceptive delivery and having good location, I think he can become unhittable. I read somewhere that lefties typically keep gaining velocity on their fastballs until 24-25. Let's hope that's the case with D-Train.

As for AJ and Josh, I have a feeling they'll both have breakout seasons. If AJ, Josh, and D-Train can all come through and play to their potential, I think we're the best team in baseball. Go Marlins!!!!

First, WELCOME!!!! Second, I have a feeling D-Train will step up this year and become more consistent. I am looking for him to add 3-4 MPH on his fastball. If he's throwing 95-96 with his deceptive delivery and having good location, I think he can become unhittable. I read somewhere that lefties typically keep gaining velocity on their fastballs until 24-25. Let's hope that's the case with D-Train.

As for AJ and Josh, I have a feeling they'll both have breakout seasons. If AJ, Josh, and D-Train can all come through and play to their potential, I think we're the best team in baseball. Go Marlins!!!!

670867[/snapback]

3-4 mph?? That like becoming a totally differenct pitcher, maybe 1 even 2 but 3 or 4?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.