Miami Marlins?

llahsram

Am I the only one that would kind of have a hard time with this? I grew up in Ft Myers as a Florida Marlins fan. My family now lives in Ocala and they are Florida Marlins fans. I go to LSU in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and I'm a Florida Marlins fan. I'm just not so sure I could just adjust to that change. I like the 'F' with the Marlin around it. I just can't imagine wearing a black hat with an 'M' on it.

I wish they would just keep Florida Marlins

Re-Naming the Marlins Miami Marlins sounds like Miami just wants a team for Miami and only Miami...what about Broward? Palm Beach?

How about the Tri-County Marlins? :lol

New Stadium- New Name.... to me its kinda like a new team!

I am begging you please keep it FLORIDA MARLINS :D

Lets not forget that when MLB chose the cities for the new franchises, they chose Miami and Denver, not Colorado and Florida. The Rockies kept the Colorado in their names because it represents a huge region in the Mountains that doesn't have baseball. I believe Florida came about after the deal to bring the Giants to Tampa Bay fell through and they wanted something to represent the entire state.

But that was over 10 years ago and since then, Tampa has their own team and the fact remains that Miami was awarded this franchise to begin with. Besides, what does it matter if they have to change their name? Isn't it a small sacrifice to make just to have this team play here forever? :mischief2

Besides, let us not forget that Broward and Palm Beach were willing to do nothing to help this team out with a new stadium and it was the city of Miami and Miami-Dade county that stepped up. I think they deserve it..

Last time I checked arent alot of people from Broward and Palm Beach, MIAMI dolphin and MIAMI heat fans? It doesnt matter what the first part it.

Its just like Boston Red Sox and New England Patriots. People in Rhode Island like both of them regardless that one includes them in their name and one doesnt.

Also you are totally right, if dade county if footing the bill by themselves, then they can change what they want.

That being said I live in Miami, but I think Florida Marlins sounds better....

This also just ocured to me. When someone asks you what team are you a fan of you say Marlins or Jets or whatever. You just say the team name. Changing Florida to Miami is not a big deal. Maybe they could keep the logo they have (the one on the top left of your screen) and just write miami in there)

Rockies kept Colorado because 5 counties in Colorado enacted a new sales tax and created a stadium tax district to get Coors built and paid for.

677586[/snapback]

Which is why they'll be called the Miami Marlins.

Money talks.

Fans from all across Florida will go to more games of the winning Miami Marlins than the .500 Florida Marlins whose future has been doubt for much of the past 5 years.

Okay now seeing that hat I guess it really doesn't look that bad. I guess I'm just a traditionalist. I love the current unis, I love the black, and I'm all about the F. But I agree... as long as its not the Las Vegas Marlins I'm cool. Changing the name from Florida to Miami is really but a small sacrifice. I guess it'll just make all my current Marlins gear vintage!

Either way miami Marlins is what they originally was going to be called. Its the name of the old minor league team. Defintely change to Miami Marlins. I've always been agaisnt state names if its a state that has other teams (which we didnt back in 93). Like the texas rangers. With houston there as well, the rangers arent a team for all 'texas'