Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Notes from Today's Game

Featured Replies

Offense looked iffy, but when you consider that there were only 3 offensive players of consequence, it's O.K.:

 

1) Delgado looks awful at the plate; he's late on everything, and what he isn't, he swings over... :(

 

2) Lowell looked good at the plate and he just missed a homer on his double by thismuch.

 

3) Hermida's got a great swing and he got robbed of a single up the middle by the pitcher, and he almost put one out to right, but it died at the wall and the wind was blowing in from right...it looked gone off the bat.

 

4) Valdez looked bad, his fastball was flat and fat, and he didn't really have a breaking ball to speak of...

 

5) Stokes looked capable at first-base, but he's gotta learn how to hit breaking balls.

 

6) Reed is fast, really really fast, I'm talking Pierre calibre speed.

 

7) Mota was very hittable, everything was sharply hit to a fielder, so he got lucky.

 

8) Jones looked sharp, power breaking ball...that looks like it could be a great pick-up.

 

9) Kensing's fastball has some serious late movement on it now, he's going to be good when he's ready.

 

10) Wilson and DiFelice had the best AB's today, hard liners to the opposite field.

 

11) Dontrelle's going to have a huge year; he was out with the coaches through the first 7 innings going over every pitch in the game situations, he's locked in. I think that he and Beckett are over their rock-star status and know they need to produce to stay popular.

 

That's about it, nothing great from today, but nothing horrible. When you consider that we only had two regulars playing, I'd say it wasn't a bad day...

Curious that Reed has had only 5 (?) AB's this ST.

You saw him one or two times today. Why isn't he getting more chances?

1) Delgado looks awful at the plate; he's late on everything, and what he isn't, he swings over...

 

I noticed that too. Maybe he's bluffing? :confused

 

Oh, and Mota is starting to worry me. I have a feeling we'll be using Pulpo as closer more often than planned.

Curious that Reed has had only 5 (?) AB's this ST.

You saw one or two times today. Why isn't he getting more chances?

711200[/snapback]

He's really not ready right now. He missed a lot of last year due to injury. No need to rush him.

 

I'm sure he's getting plenty of AB's in the 'B' games.

Delgado has had about 10 at bats so far this spring...he said he would only need about 35 to be ready but sure like he has a lot more work to do in the next three weeks

Just half-way through ST but I'd like to see some guys stepping up now.

Don't want to bad mouth C. Delgado or Mota, but...

Actually, I think the only guy that looks ready is Easley.

And I feel more comfortable knowing AA is back.

Also, TSwift25, Did you get a good look at DiFelice today. I sense he's coming on. How did he look to you defensively and offensively?

I actually didn't think that Valdez looked that bad, and I really hate Valdez. I am not sure what TSwift is talking about because he threw some nice curveballs. His fastball is always flat, so that wasn't surprising. He seemed to have acceptable command and control. The Twins made some solid contact but nothing for extra bases: no long home runs or solid doubles. I don't believe he walked anyone. Also, the Twins swung through a couple fastballs, which is a good sign. He didn't throw too many changeups though. Overall, for his first or second start, I thought he looked fine.

 

Stokes looked pathetic. Struck out on three pitches in his first at bat and 6 pitches in second. I thought that Hermida looked ok. He got under one pitch a little and it went to the warning track.

 

Also, not to be nitpicking, but I don't think that Willis was going over pitches. Hagerty was keeping pitch charts; Willis was just sitting there.

  • Author

Also, TSwift25, Did you get a good look at DiFelice today. I sense he's coming on. How did he look to you defensively and offensively?

711209[/snapback]

 

He looked great offensively, and adequate defensively. Think Mike Redmond, but with less knowledge of our staff...

  • Author

I actually didn't think that Valdez looked that bad, and I really hate Valdez. I am not sure what TSwift is talking about because he threw some nice curveballs. His fastball is always flat, so that wasn't surprising. He seemed to have acceptable command and control. The Twins made some solid contact but nothing for extra bases: no long home runs or solid doubles. I don't believe he walked anyone. Also, the Twins swung through a couple fastballs, which is a good sign. He didn't throw too many changeups though. Overall, for his first or second start, I thought he looked fine.

 

Stokes looked pathetic. Struck out on three pitches in his first at bat and 6 pitches in second. I thought that Hermida looked ok. He got under one pitch a little and it went to the warning track.

 

Also, not to be nitpicking, but I don't think that Willis was going over pitches. Hagerty was keeping pitch charts; Willis was just sitting there.

711236[/snapback]

 

I was sitting right behind the Marlins bench on the screen, and from there, Valdez' pitches showed little break, and the Twins that swung through fastballs weren't any of their big guys (Stewart, Jones), and I know for a fact that Willis was indeed going over pitches, I heard him talking about it, just FYI...

I think that he and Beckett are over their rock-star status and know they need to produce to stay popular.711196[/snapback]

 

I won't say Dontrelle never had rock-star status, but he never acknowledged it that way like Beckett. D-Train has a great modesty about him... it's not fair to him to put him in that same category of arrogance as Josh.

Speaking of Relief Pitcher struggles, anyone know what Spooney's current status is?

711517[/snapback]

 

He won't break ST with the major league team.

 

From the last I heard expect him May-ish.

Speaking of Relief Pitcher struggles, anyone know what Spooney's current status is?

711517[/snapback]

 

He won't break ST with the major league team.

 

From the last I heard expect him May-ish.

711545[/snapback]

 

 

I hope he comes back full strength and reaches his potential.

1) Delgado looks awful at the plate; he's late on everything, and what he isn't, he swings over...

 

I noticed that too. Maybe he's bluffing? :confused

711201[/snapback]

 

Its spring training!

 

Opening day I will hit one out.

  • Author

1) Delgado looks awful at the plate; he's late on everything, and what he isn't, he swings over...

 

I noticed that too. Maybe he's bluffing? :confused

711201[/snapback]

 

Its spring training!

 

Opening day I will hit one out.

711566[/snapback]

 

You better...

Curious that Reed has had only 5 (?) AB's this ST.

You saw him one or two times today. Why isn't he getting more chances?

711200[/snapback]

 

Reed layed down a beautiful bunt his first AB. It went about 7 or 8 feet up the 3rd base line and died. He easily beat it out. He also just about beat out a dribbler to the shortstop in his 2nd AB. And yes he is blazing fast.

Offense looked iffy, but when you consider that there were only 3 offensive players of consequence, it's O.K.:

 

1) Delgado looks awful at the plate; he's late on everything, and what he isn't, he swings over... :(

 

2) Lowell looked good at the plate and he just missed a homer on his double by thismuch.

 

3) Hermida's got a great swing and he got robbed of a single up the middle by the pitcher, and he almost put one out to right, but it died at the wall and the wind was blowing in from right...it looked gone off the bat.

 

4) Valdez looked bad, his fastball was flat and fat, and he didn't really have a breaking ball to speak of...

 

5) Stokes looked capable at first-base, but he's gotta learn how to hit breaking balls.

 

6) Reed is fast, really really fast, I'm talking Pierre calibre speed.

 

7) Mota was very hittable, everything was sharply hit to a fielder, so he got lucky.

 

8) Jones looked sharp, power breaking ball...that looks like it could be a great pick-up.

 

9) Kensing's fastball has some serious late movement on it now, he's going to be good when he's ready.

 

10) Wilson and DiFelice had the best AB's today, hard liners to the opposite field.

 

11) Dontrelle's going to have a huge year; he was out with the coaches through the first 7 innings going over every pitch in the game situations, he's locked in. I think that he and Beckett are over their rock-star status and know they need to produce to stay popular.

 

That's about it, nothing great from today, but nothing horrible. When you consider that we only had two regulars playing, I'd say it wasn't a bad day...

711196[/snapback]

 

I agree with you about Delgado. He is showing poor command of the strike zone and has trouble with breaking balls. He hasn't hit the ball solid yet in the 3 games I've seen him. Only 2 more weeks for him to get his act together.

His speed is a 75 out of 80 on the scout scale. And reports say he's a better defender and faster than Pierre.

im not going to worry about delgado at all...im sure he'll be fine. My concern is VALDEZ ! He reminds me of last years 5th spot in the rotation...and we all know how he fared.

 

Willis is another Pierre...hard working kid determined to produce...Love him. YOU GO Willis!

 

tnx for the report

  • Author

Prety sure it's his second.

711869[/snapback]

 

I think it was his Grapefruit league debut, but he pitched in a 'B' game once before...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.