Sheffield to the Cubs?

ChambersWI

Heard this on ESPN Radio this morning, and also pulled this off of a couple other MBs

The NY Post, ESPN Radio, and XM Radio are all reporting that the Cubs may be close to a deal that would put Gary Sheffield in a Cubs' uniform. Rumors are swirling around as to whom the Cubs would give the Yankees in return and how much of Sheffield?s contract the Cubs would be responsible for. Although nothing is for certain, Corey Patterson or Jason Dubois have been mentioned as possibly being involved as well as Cubs pitcher Sergio Mitre. This morning on the MLB Homeplate program on XM radio, Admin Bowa, and Buck Martinez went so as far as to say that the Yankees and the Cubs were working on a deal that would send Gary Sheffield to Chicago. They mentioned none of the other players in the deal, but they expected it to go down within the week. That is a pretty bold statement and it would be a pretty interesting to see what Sheffield could do in a Cubs' uniform.

If true, why would the Yanks make THIS trade?

I posted the link to this a while back in the Marlins forum (the Urbina for Olsen rumor), and all that was said was that the Post speculated destinations for Sheffield, Matsui and Womack. Here's the line:

Should the Yankees wait for age or contract issues to bite them on Gary Sheffield? What would the Cubs surrender for him, for example? It is a delicate balance between creating more holes to fill and providing the future resources - financially and in prospects - to address them while reducing the age of the roster.

Doesn't sound like it's close to happening, and I think Yankee fans would mutiny if they trade the one consistent offensive cog the Yankees have had for the last season and a half.

In totally unrelated (and unsubstantiated) news/rumors, I would welcome Sheff back with open arms.

Going by who has been made available (at least allegedly) a package of Olsen, Encarnacion (their new centerfielder) and Stokes may get the deal done, assuming the Yankees pick up some of the salary. Whole lot to give up, but it gives us a proven 3-hole hitter who has feasted on NL East pitching for a while...huge long shot though, but I think it would go a long way to solving our offensive woes.

If he came back to the Marlins he could be our first HOF representative since I think he is right on the line of going in or not.

809330[/snapback]

I think you could make a case that he could go into the HOF as a Marlin even if he doesn't come back (and leaves the Yankees before winning a WS).

Mitre can be flat out horrible at times and at other times look good. He's a solid pitcher. Nothin special to me.

809443[/snapback]

He could be really good if he learns to control that sinking fastball on a consistent basis.

Anyways, the Yanks would NEVER do this.

In totally unrelated (and unsubstantiated) news/rumors, I would welcome Sheff back with open arms.

Going by who has been made available (at least allegedly) a package of Olsen, Encarnacion (their new centerfielder) and Stokes may get the deal done, assuming the Yankees pick up some of the salary. Whole lot to give up, but it gives us a proven 3-hole hitter who has feasted on NL East pitching for a while...huge long shot though, but I think it would go a long way to solving our offensive woes.

809328[/snapback]

I'd go nuts (in a good way) if that happened. I'm not sure how many years and how much money is left on Sheff's contract. The sites I have on payrolls no longer are up to date. Does anyone know?

I wouldn't mind offering Olsen, Tank (or Vargas), Enc, and Stokes if it got us Sheff and they picked up a lot of his salary. That could help out the Yanks farm system. It won't happen, but I can dream. :lol

As for the Sheff to Cubs deal, unless they are getting Zambrano or Prior, I can't see them doing it unless a lot of good prospects are involved. They'd basically be giving up the season in my eyes. Sheff is their second best hitter. I just don't see George letting that happen.

But back to my dreaming...

1. Pierre

2. Castillo

3. Sheffield

4. Delgado

5. Cabrera

6. Lowell

7. Lo Duca

8. Gonzo

:o

People keep telling Patterson that he's a leadoff guy.. well, he's not. The dude is a power hitter with great speed. He's going to be a good one, imo.

810725[/snapback]

He's a horrible baserunner, has one of the worst hitters eyes in the game at the plate, and has been an enigma for years.

He is going to be a dissapointment for any team he's on, he just stumbles on some home runs, and runs fast and covers ground in center field.