Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

new rumor

Featured Replies

If the Marlins trade A.J. Burnett, they may look to fill his spot in the rotation by acquiring Mike Maroth from the Tigers.

According to the Detroit News, the Tigers aren't quite sure whether they should be buyers or sellers at this point. Jul. 14 - 9:45 am et

Source: Detroit News

 

 

Very interesting. I am starting to think that the Marlins may be looking to get a Bat instead of an arm for Burnett. This is going to be a very exciting couple of weeks. I agree with some people when they say do somthing now instead of later.

Not sure I like this:

 

Maroth is a decent to good young arm, so you figure that the price for him (this year is unquestionably a seller's market) would be high, especially if we set the asking price for AJ exceptionally high.

 

If the deal involves AJ going to the Tigers, I'm not sure of what to make of that, but we better come away with more than just Maroth.

 

Also, does anyone else find it odd that with the exception of Cabrera, every arm we've been rumored to be after is a left-handed rotation arm that isn't really a strike-out machine?

  • Author

Not sure I like this:

 

Maroth is a decent to good young arm, so you figure that the price for him (this year is unquestionably a seller's market) would be high, especially if we set the asking price for AJ exceptionally high.

 

If the deal involves AJ going to the Tigers, I'm not sure of what to make of that, but we better come away with more than just Maroth.

 

Also, does anyone else find it odd that with the exception of Cabrera, every arm we've been rumored to be after is a left-handed rotation arm that isn't really a strike-out machine?854839[/snapback]

 

 

 

I think what you may be seeing is that what may be going down is:

 

A) Leiter is going to be released or retired or even possibly shot. Which leaves a lefty Vacancy.

 

B) Aj packing his bags which leaves a righty vacancy, which if I am mistaken will be taken up by Valdez. Obviously not matching talent for talent but just arms.

 

C) Vargas and Olsen are the Wildcards here in this equation especially when Beckett is healthy. What are the chances that Them being called up is an audition and one will be traded by the deadline.

 

I am thinking that alot of this has been carefully played out in Beinfest's head. Obviously he couldnt predict Josh's injury but I am sure the club had several contingency plans for injuries, trades, and underperformers. It why they make the big bucks and we just read about it.

 

In conclusion I think that the reason we are looking for this lefty pitcher is that the team is looking for a younger Al leiter type of pitcher. One that can throw strikes and get outs.

Not sure I like this:

 

Maroth is a decent to good young arm, so you figure that the price for him (this year is unquestionably a seller's market) would be high, especially if we set the asking price for AJ exceptionally high.

 

If the deal involves AJ going to the Tigers, I'm not sure of what to make of that, but we better come away with more than just Maroth.

 

Also, does anyone else find it odd that with the exception of Cabrera, every arm we've been rumored to be after is a left-handed rotation arm that isn't really a strike-out machine?

854839[/snapback]

 

 

Yup I saw that. I think that other than Daniel Cabrera, Chacin would be the best choice however AJ probably wont sign long term with Toronto.

I just hope burnett agrees to a contract extension with the blue jays already so we can get this done with.

I am thinking that alot of this has been carefully played out in Beinfest's head. Obviously he couldnt predict Josh's injury but I am sure the club had several contingency plans for injuries, trades, and underperformers. It why they make the big bucks and we just read about it.

854840[/snapback]

 

I think all too often people here think that front office moves are reactionary and spur of the moment rather than well thought out and part of a larger plan that may span several years.

 

While s*** happens, the fact is Beinfest knows where he is and where he wants to take the team.

 

Good post.

Maroth is overrated. Get a better pitcher than him.

854842[/snapback]

 

How the heck is he overrated? I haven't heard all that much praise for him.

 

He's a good middle of the rotation guy...inconsistent, but if he gets some run support he'll definitely win some games.

The Tigers need to shape their team for next year...when I think they could be a huge suprise. As of right now they are the best they have been in years and should only move pieces that will be FA next year (Rondell White and Jason Johnson).

 

Maroth would be a good pickup for a team looking for a very good 4-5 guy who could fill out a rotation and benefit from a stadium like the Marlins have pitching wise...

The rumor doesnt really say that we're going to trade AJ for maroth, it simply says if we trade AJ, we may also go after maroth. So if we get a bat for AJ, we may try to get maroth to fill the gap in the rotation. Same thing with redman. I doubt either rumor is implying AJ will go to the tigers nor the pirates. (this is in response to tswift's post, too lazy to quote)

I think maroth would be a side trade for a minor league talent. Someone like Stokes or something else here guys. Just like Redman. They are looking if we trade away AJ what else we can pick up to pluginto the rotation if we need to.

yep we are gonna give potential 20 game winner for a 20 game loser a couple years ago......

 

I luv baseball.......

 

bonderman? i doubt Dave is that dumb to give up that all thou i would take Carlos Guillian who is hitting 353....... or even rondel white......

 

f*** it we are getting carried away lets just beat the phillies today......

Also, does anyone else find it odd that with the exception of Cabrera, every arm we've been rumored to be after is a left-handed rotation arm that isn't really a strike-out machine?

854839[/snapback]

I don't see anything to it. The Marlins just have a fetish for lefthanded pitchers.

  • Author

I think maroth would be a side trade for a minor league talent. Someone like Stokes or something else here guys. Just like Redman. They are looking if we trade away AJ what else we can pick up to pluginto the rotation if we need to.

854888[/snapback]

 

 

you guys are missing the whole point of what the rumor says. I agree with this persons post and that was the whole mood I was aiming for when I posted it. They might go after Maroth after They trade Aj to another team. I view that in two ways, first the tigers may not be as active in trying to get Aj as once was thought and second, If we aren't going to acquire an arm for Aj in that trade maybe the F.O. is going in a direction to get more offense for him: i.e. sheffield. All I am saying is that maybe in the meat of the trade they want offense first and maybe a reliever and/or prospect arm. I wasn't intending to start arguments about Maroth's value. Hell, the tigers may take stokes for him straight up (in that case, I say do it)

 

Oh and BTW, lets try to agree that there is no other starter or prospect on the market that is better than Aj is RIGHT NOW. That would change only if clemens was put on the block but that aint happenin. Everyone knows the reason that the team is basically in this position with Aj. I was actually thinking about this yesterday, when you break it down all that we are giving up in this trade is half a season of Aj (which is alot in and of itself) and the rights to negociate first. Pretty simple when broken down in those contexts.

I wouldnt even think of doing that unless Verlander or Zumaya were thrown in...

854959[/snapback]

I believe they are untouchables in the Tigers organization as both are possibly expected to be in the rotation next year...

I wouldnt even think of doing that unless Verlander or Zumaya were thrown in...

854959[/snapback]

 

The fact that the trade isn't Maroth for Burnett has been established, so there would be no reason for the Tigers to include either of these guys in a trade with the Fish. If the Marlins can give up a prospect for Maroth, I don't see why not. Bonderman, Robertson, and (hopefully someday) Ledezma will all be quality starters for quite a while. Plus, the Tigs have a lot of Lefties.

 

If by some strange reason there was a Burnett to Detroit trade, I would think it would have to include Maroth and someone like Curtis Granderson. But that ain't gonna happen. Especially for Burnett, who would probably just bounce out of Detroit after the season anyways.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.