Ponson traded

sportsbamer

Which means the Burnett trade will happen very soon.

871647[/snapback]

No it doesn't. It sounds like this deal kills the Burnett deal.

The Baltimore Orioles on Saturday traded right-handed pitcher Sidney Ponson to San Diego for first baseman Phil Nevin, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

With Ponson moving to the Padres, the Orioles deal to acquire Florida Marlins right-hander A.J. Burnett has been shelved.

A three-way deal with the Orioles and Texas Rangers, which would have sent Burnett to Baltimore, was "killed" by the Orioles this weekend, according to a baseball man familiar with the deal, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported. So the Marlins are believed to have broken off talks with Baltimore, at least for now, and are back to focusing on offers by the Chicago White Sox, Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays.

Lowell, who is batting a disappointing .230 with just four homers and 39 RBI, is owed about $21 million through 2007.

Ponson was moved to San Diego once he refused a trade to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for left-handed reliever Trever Miller.

link

I'm going to buy a Sidney Ponson jersey for keeping AJ in South Florida and out of Baltimore

871665[/snapback]

Yep, I'm so glad we get to keep a .500 pitcher who won't be with us next year and now get to keep a terrible contract of a 3B who has hit a grand total of 7 HR in the last seasons worth of games who now greatly limits what we can do financially over the next couple of years. Great!

I'm going to buy a Sidney Ponson jersey for keeping AJ in South Florida and out of Baltimore

871665[/snapback]

Yep, I'm so glad we get to keep a .500 pitcher who won't be with us next year and now get to keep a terrible contract of a 3B who has hit a grand total of 7 HR in the last seasons worth of games who now greatly limits what we can do financially over the next couple of years. Great!

871684[/snapback]

Still trade Burnett, but for a better package. Lowell's hitting better, stick with him, too much upside if he does snap out of it. That's my take.

And that .500 pitcher has a 1.27 WHIP, .241 BAA and a 3.68 ERA, with prob the nastiest stuff in the league.

I disagree with the ESPN article that states that the deal for of Ponson for Nevin has killed the Burnett deal. I actually believe it increases the chances of him going to the Orioles. If the O's didnt get rid of Ponson and got Burnett in a deal, they would have had 6 starters (Lopez, Chen, Cabrera, Ponson, Bedard, Burnett). Now by trading Ponson, it makes room to accept Lowells contract and maybe the O's give Nevin to us as a replacement for Lowell.

I disagree with the ESPN article that states that the deal for of Ponson for Nevin has killed the Burnett deal. I actually believe it increases the chances of him going to the Orioles. If the O's didnt get rid of Ponson and got Burnett in a deal, they would have had 6 starters (Lopez, Chen, Cabrera, Ponson, Bedard, Burnett). Now by trading Ponson, it makes room to accept Lowells contract and maybe the O's give Nevin to us as a replacement for Lowell.

871689[/snapback]

Nevin is owed 9 mill this year and 11 mill next year, too expensive for us.

That isn't realistic.

They wouldnt trade a starter until they knew for sure they would be getting Burnett and for the Marlins Nevin wouldn't improve anything.

871709[/snapback]

Well, they can still go after one of the other available starters. I'm betting that they can get Weaver or one of the other names floating around for much less than they'd be giving up to Florida. Of course, Burnett is the best name out there, but if they gave up on the deal, they aren't SOL for a starter.

That isn't realistic.

They wouldnt trade a starter until they knew for sure they would be getting Burnett and for the Marlins Nevin wouldn't improve anything.

871709[/snapback]

Well, they can still go after one of the other available starters. I'm betting that they can get Weaver or one of the other names floating around for much less than they'd be giving up to Florida. Of course, Burnett is the best name out there, but if they gave up on the deal, they aren't SOL for a starter.

871718[/snapback]

Actually they are SOL Weaver blows.Or did you forget how he pitched for the Yankees!

If the published reports about the O's wanting to shed Ponsons contract so they can take on Lowell are true,then this Nevin deal has Nixed the idea of Burnett going to the O's since Nevins contract is about the same money wise.

I take it that Nevin will play 1st while Palmeiro DH's?Then they platoon Gibbons and Bigbie in the OF?

Well, they have no room for Lowell now.

Maybe the one thing we've haven't about is this: The O's simply don't know what they're doing and don't know how to react in a pennant race.

871721[/snapback]

Why because they traded one of the worst starting pitchers in the majors for Phil Nevin? They are going to make another deal, probably for Jeff Weaver. Even if they dont, Nevin is an uppgrade to the offense and Penn or John Maine would be an upgrade over Ponson.

Maybe the one thing we've haven't about is this: The O's simply don't know what they're doing and don't know how to react in a pennant race.

871721[/snapback]

Forget pennant race. They are simply a very poorly run franchise all year around.

871721[/snapback]

That is a very good point!!!If the O's want to stay in the race pitching will get them there and not offense as we have seen with the 2003 Sox and 2004 Yankees.Offense wins you games,pitching wins you championships.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.