Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Andino or Gonzalez

Featured Replies

If Alex Gonzalez were to leave, the ultimate double play duo would be ruined Luis Castillo the two time gold glover is going to be left alone with a younger,home grown shortstop Robert Andino. The native from Miami can be almost equally defensivly he has a pretty good arm and can work good with Luis Castillo.But, it's also that Luis Castillo is an extravegent player because he dosen't only make himself good but also the starting shortstop whether it's Andino or Gonzalez.So my point is that it dosen't matter who is our shortstop if Alex signs again or if he dosen't or if Andino is playing or not.We need a starting shortstop and we need Luis Castillo.

 

 

 

LETS GO MARLINS!!!!

From what we've seen Andino needs to refine his skills a bit more. He has the raw quickness and talent and I'm sure Perry Hill can work wonders with him. I also like what I see at the plate so far. He definitely has some pop in his bat. He has trouble with the breaking ball but that should improve as he gains experience. Given the risk that Alex will stay healthy, and the potential that Andino could be an adequate defensive replacement I wouldn't be surprised to see the team let Alex go this off-season.

 

And welcome to the boards!

C Bass staying depends of money issues of corse, well have to wait and see. ne thing i havnt like from Andino was the fact that he had thrown two very wide of first while hes been up..

C Bass staying depends of money issues of corse, well have to wait and see. ne thing i havnt like from Andino was the fact that he had thrown two very wide of first while hes been up..

 

 

Yes, rookie mistakes in big games. It cost us one game for sure. I'm sure that will improve with more experience.

C Bass staying depends of money issues of corse, well have to wait and see. ne thing i havnt like from Andino was the fact that he had thrown two very wide of first while hes been up..

 

 

Yes, rookie mistakes in big games. It cost us one game for sure. I'm sure that will improve with more experience.

 

yeah, what can ya do...

I like Andino. He has a future with us, and he's still very young. I hope he stays with the organization...That being said, Gonzo is still pretty young also (28, I believe), and his defensive skills are primed. Also, he isn't 'that' bad in 8th spot.

I'm having a hard time finding a team that would want to sign Alex Gonzalez. All the richer teams in the NL except for Atlanta already have SSs.

i would take Gonzalez over Andino, Andino needs to work a little bit with Perry and his hitting has improved a lot since working with Bill.

I'm having a hard time finding a team that would want to sign Alex Gonzalez. All the richer teams in the NL except for Atlanta already have SSs.

 

While I wouldn't much mind him leaving, I can see a market for him. He's 28, a sure defender and has hit for power and average at different points. Teams love potential even from guys who should have realized theirs by then. Chicago, Washington, Arizona and Atlanta could all drop down 5-large on him.

I'm having a hard time finding a team that would want to sign Alex Gonzalez. All the richer teams in the NL except for Atlanta already have SSs.

 

While I wouldn't much mind him leaving, I can see a market for him. He's 28, a sure defender and has hit for power and average at different points. Teams love potential even from guys who should have realized theirs by then. Chicago, Washington, Arizona and Atlanta could all drop down 5-large on him.

 

Not Atlanta, they love Betemit, and why Arizona, Clayton is a fine stop-gap for Drew and Upton.

i think andino needs one more year, he should be our back-up next year, then in 07 he could be ready, if he is then we will have a super young team-cabs,train,vargas,andino all are younger than 24

i think andino needs one more year, he should be our back-up next year, then in 07 he could be ready, if he is then we will have a super young team-cabs,train,vargas,andino all are younger than 24

 

if he needs one year, he spends it in the minors, not rotting on the bench

Bass is my favorite Marlin, so I would obviously love to see him back on our side next year. But if that doesn't happen, I'm sure Andino would be a pretty suitable replacement.

I do not want to see Gonzalez back on this team, he would make too much money especially considering the drop off at the plate and in the glove doesnt appear to be that much. Gonzalez is not the untouchable some make him out to be , i think he is part of the problem a guy who is due to make a nice chunk of change whose stats are hollow at best , this team can't afford to pay a guy the amount of money he would recieve given the numerous holes we have in the lineup. He is a big part of this dysfunctional offense, and this year his defense cost us more games than it won. Break up the the core that is getting older, my god the average age of our pen must be 35 , lowell 32-33 delgado 34 , luis is in his 30's Lo Duca 33 , we are getting old and havent made it happen in 2 years , get younger and or get different bye bye Gonzo !!!

We all know there will always be a team so desperate to overpay for mediocre players or lesser caliber. For example, Adrian Beltre he has more errors than homeruns. Also Carl Pavano who only had one good season and he got signed by the Yankees for a large amount. He was under .500 in his career and got what he wanted. The point is that there is always a team out there that will take their chances on an Alex Gonzalez. Now Adino is a raw talent that you can work on. His flaws are workable. We got Perry Hill working with him at 21 he is gonna achieve many things.I would not pay let's say 7 million for Alex because he kills rally's ,his numbers have decreased. His elbow is a concern. I don't know I just wouldn't take my chances with him.Adino in the future could be even better defensively, just give him time.

I think Gonzo goes to whitesox

 

 

I hope so because if he stays we are going to be locked into the same team for 4 more years (at least) , a 83-84 win team that is rapidily becoming older by the second and richer by the minute. If you want Gonzo back you want the same offense back from 04 and 05 because if you keep him the changes that will be made will be minor and the results will be the same

why Arizona, Clayton is a fine stop-gap for Drew and Upton.

 

Doesn't thew new owner want to win now?

Gonzalez's future: Shortly after the season ends, Alex Gonzalez likely will undergo a procedure to remove a bone chip from his throwing elbow. Gonzalez -- out of the lineup since Sept. 4, aside of a couple of pinch-running appearances -- hopes this isn't his final week wearing a Marlins' uniform.

 

Eligible for free agency after the season, Gonzalez has a home in Miami and would like to sign a three-year deal with the Marlins.

 

However, he isn't sure what the club's intentions are. Rookie Robert Andino is a talented, but inexperienced, shortstop whose skills are similar to Gonzalez's.

 

"I spoke to my agent and told him I want to come back to the team," said Gonzalez, an All-Star as a rookie in 1999. "They don't say [anything]. We'll see what happens after the season. I told my agent, 'I want to be here next year and three more seasons.' But it's business. I have to think about my family, too."

 

Gonzalez has been impressed with Andino.

 

"He's good, but you need experience," he said.

 

A fierce competitor, Gonzalez played through elbow pain for much of the past two seasons. He said that even when he was in the lineup, he was at about 80 percent strength.

 

"I wish I was in there every day," he said. "I'm not 100 percent, and I don't want to be stupid. I don't want to go out there and make an error, and after that tell [the media that] I made an error because of my elbow. I don't want to have excuses for that."

Wow...Gonzalez playing hurt could really have cost us as much as AJ playing stupid or Lowell simply playing. Yet there will be no hatred.

Gonzalez is a fine SS and with him you know what you'll get. But signing him to a 3 year deal is taking on a risk for a guy with recurring elbow problems. I would look for a 1 year deal if I were Beinfest. If that doesn't suit Alex, then go with Andino.

I don't want Alex back....Gimme Furcal....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.