September 27, 200521 yr I really wanted to do some power rankings because I'm bored and I just want to bounce my opinions off of you guys and see what y'all think. I'm starting this week because I think week three really shows what fans can expect from their team. Granted, this is the topsy-turvy NFL so things change all the time, but we'll just go with it. 1. New England Patriots - Lots of huge injuries, but as long as they have Bill Belichek, I believe they are the best team in the NFL (could you imagine if the Jets held onto him?). 2. Indianapolis Colts - Wow, they have a defense, but what the hell happened to the offense? I also take the defensive performances since they were against relatively weak offenses (Baltimore, Jacksonville, Cleveland). If this team can have the offense anywhere near 2004 numbers, they'll be a force and could win HFA. 3. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alright, I admit it, Ben Roethlisberger doesn't suck. I still hate him, but he sure can hack it. Outside of some awful time management by Bill Cowher, a retarded lateral by A.R.E., they could be 3-0 and #1 in the rankings. 4. Philadelphia Eagles - Yeah, TO and McNabb, but Brian Westbrook is your real superstar. He's their version of Thurman Thomas and this team might suffer the same fate as those early 90s Bills teams. Lots of SB appearances and no SB rings to show for it. 5. Cincinnati Bengals - Note to ESPN, if you didn't see this coming from the 2003 season, you're retarded. Mike Brown finally realized that profits come from victories in the NFL and he's letting the team acquire pieces to become a winning squad. I would argue that the Bengals are as well rounded as the Colts and I believe in their defense a whole lot more. Not to mention that teams that play outdoors are more likely to win than a dome team *cough*Colts*cough*. 6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - I really like this team and they play in the perplexing NFC South. I don't know if they can keep it up, but watching Caddy run is a real treat. I love that defense with Derrick Brooks and Ronde Barber as anchors on defense and Brian Griese and Michael Clayton as major weapons. 7. Jacksonville Jaguars - They get a bonus point for beating the Jets. So sue me. I don't like the offense becasue their schemes don't really seem to fit their personnel, but I love that defense. 8. Atlanta Falcons - Whoda thunk that Vick can actually throw the ball? He throws and he's hampered by a hammy injury? This bodes well for the Falcons. 9. Kansas City Chiefs - They got smoked on the road in a tough place on Monday Night, but I still like this team. That offense is as deadly as ever (Trent Green may be the most undervalued QB of our generation) and the defense is still trying to work the kinks out. I like them a lot. 10. Denver Broncos - They got shallacked by the Fins in Miami, but they've rebounded. I still think Shanny can't win without Elway, but this team certainly isn't bad. Also, their Cleveland Browns reject OL managed to keep the best OL in the game in check. 11. Seattle Seahawks - Coming off that very "bleh" win against the Falcons, they looked great in that beatdown of the Cardinals, but this team is the definition of Jekyll and Hyde. 12. Dallas Cowboys - They're one defensive clap in the last four minutes of a MNF game from being 3-0. They had to come back against a not good but not awful 49ers team though. This team will perplex me all year. 13. San Diego Chargers - FINALLY! We got to see the full-blown Chargers attack. Healthy doses of superfreaks Antonio Gates and LT2 and they win big. This team really should win the AFC West even if they run that awful Martyball offense. 14. Miami Dolphins - Fins are 2-1 and have beaten two pretty good teams. Saban seems like a good coach. If the pieces fall in the right place, namely limiting penalties, improving the running game, improving the pass defense, I think this team could challenge for a wild card spot. Also, I'd argue that Ronnie Brown had a better game than Cadillac Williams this week. That 58-yarder from the Miami 4 that led to a field goal was huge. 15. Carolina Panthers - This team is talented as hell. They have solid coaches. They just didn't have the ball bounce their way on Sunday vs. the Fins. I still like this team the most in the NFC South, even if they can't beat the Atlanta Vicks. 16. Washington Redskins - They're 2-0, but should probably be 0-2. I think Joe Gibbs is an awful coach and his antiquated "hey it worked in 1990, it'll still work" offensive approach makes me wonder if his NASCAR-ness has gone to his head. I don't like this team at all and think they'll finish last in the NFC East. 17. St. Louis Rams - Note to Mike Martz: You're an awful coach. Marc Bulger is getting brutalized behind those awful OL blocking schemes and they're underutilizing Stephen Jackson, a RB with all the talent in the world and size to match. 18. New York Giants - Eli Manning doesn't suck. I wasn't a hater or a fan of him when he was drafted, but he's proven he's pretty darn good. I think they're a year away or TO retiring from the game permanently to trash talk on national TV from being the #1 threat in the AFC. 19. Minnesota Vikings - No Linehan and Moss really hurts Culpepper, but I think he'll respond and they'll be fine. If Culpepper limits the turnovers and his RBs stay healthy, I really like this team to win the god-awful NFC North. 20. Buffalo Bills - I'm a little frosted. I picked the Bills as my surprise team to go out and win 11 games and make the playoffs. I figured Losman had just enough talent to get the ball to Moulds and Evans a decent amount and have McGahee run a bunch and have their talented defense hold off the opposition. Losing Takeo really hurts this team, but they still have a bunch of talent on both sides of the ball and I can't, nay, won't give up on them. That said, f*** the Jills. 21. Detroit Lions - I'm officially getting off the Joey Harrington bandwagon. He just doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL QB. He has as many offensive weapons this side of Peyton Manning and he just can't get it done. Damien Woody, Kevin Jones, Mike Williams, Charles Rodgers, Roy Williams. So much talent bottlenecked by Pianoman. 22. New York Jets - This team is in a lot of trouble. When your top two QBs go down and you're left with Brooks Bollinger and Vinny Testaverde, you're in trouble. Their defense and Curtis Martin will still allow them to remain very competitive. 23. Tennessee Titans - I expected this team to compete for the #1 overall pick. They're playing far better than that and really could be 2-1. Jeff Fisher is a great coach keeping this team from not entirely folding up considering the salary cap hell they're in. 24. New Orleans Saints - "America's team" is proving they're exactly the same as last year. Lots of talent, no results. Time for Haslett to go. This team has way too much talent to be 1-2. Aaron Brooks just confounds me. 25. Cleveland Browns - Romeo Crennel is a good coach. He led that bunch of misfits into Indy and could've won that game had there not been a holding call on a punt return TD for Dennis Northcutt. I think this team will be very good in about two or three years. 26. Chicago Bears - It's a travesty this team has a legitimate shot at the NFC North. Kyle Orton is playing like the 4th round draft pick he is. The defense is good and Moose is solid. We'll see if they can do anything. 27. Baltimore Ravens - Every year there's that one team a lot of people expect to challenge for a Superbowl only to lay an egg and never recover. I think this team may have that "honor". 28. San Francisco 49ers - Mike Nolan is a good coach. This team has played tough in two of its three games. They could've and probably should've won against the Cowboys, but I think this team has shown me something. I still hate the Alex Smith pick, but I think this team will be a threat in the weak NFC West next year. 29. Oakland Raiders - Best 0-3 team I've ever seen. Kerry Collins looks pretty good. Randy Moss is Randy Moss. They play the Cowboys this week and we all know what Randy does to the Cowboys so let's hope for Norv Turner's sake they can find a win this week. 30. Green Bay Packers - Damn, they're bad. If the NFC North wasn't so fantastically awful, they'd be out of it, but they still have a shot. That defense sucks. Brett Favre still loves throwing into sextuple coverage and he has no receiving threats. Ahman doesn't seem that interested in playing well. I don't get it. They shouldn't be this awful. Hopefully they get a top 5 pick and take Ahmad Brooks/AJ Nicholson/AJ Hawk. 31. Houston Texans - Sure their offense is playing awful with weapons like David Carr, Andre Johnson, and Domanick Davis, but that OL is terrible and their new offensive coordinator is, yes you guessed it, their old OL coach. 32. Arizona Cardinals - So much for them winning the NFC West. At least Rackers is racking up the fantasy points (pun intended).
September 27, 200521 yr Fins are easily better than the Hawks, Broncos and maybe Cowboys. It looks good, though--because it seems like you are thinking in the future. So these rankings would be better titled "Season rankings", because at this moment, Colts are no way #2. I do, however, think they will be by season's end.
September 27, 200521 yr Fins are easily better than the Hawks, Broncos and maybe Cowboys. It looks good, though--because it seems like you are thinking in the future. So these rankings would be better titled "Season rankings", because at this moment, Colts are no way #2. I do, however, think they will be by season's end. I was trying to strike a balance between the here and now and the future.
September 27, 200521 yr Outside of some awful time management by Bill Cowher And the stadium clock operators. Not that I'M complaining. :mischief
September 27, 200521 yr I would move the Raiders up some. Sure they're 0-3, but they were all tight games with good teams. I think the Raiders will rebound nicely, and they definitely are a better team than the Lions, Browns, Niners, Bears, and Rams. Arguably a few other up there too.
September 27, 200521 yr those are very good ratings over all. I might drop the pats behind the colts, and drop the steelers a few spots for they both have losses. Move up Philly, cincy, and atlanta up a bit too. I will toss in my own tomorrow into here. Perhaps if we can get 10 of us we can average out their positions and all.
September 27, 200521 yr WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: :mad :o :banghead Dolphins arent #1 WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: :mad :o :banghead LOL Overall good rankings...I would say after the first 10-12 teams it gets really hard to rank teams. What's the difference between #24 and #27 or #19 and #21...Power Rankings are really hard to make.
September 27, 200521 yr Outside of some awful time management by Bill Cowher And the stadium clock operators. Not that I'M complaining. :mischief :mischief
September 27, 200521 yr 16. Washington Redskins - They're 2-0, but should probably be 0-2. I think Joe Gibbs is an awful coach and his antiquated "hey it worked in 1990, it'll still work" offensive approach makes me wonder if his NASCAR-ness has gone to his head. I don't like this team at all and think they'll finish last in the NFC East. Hey Fritz, go f*** yourself.
September 27, 200521 yr 20. Buffalo Bills - I'm a little frosted. I picked the Bills as my surprise team to go out and win 11 games and make the playoffs. I figured Losman had just enough talent to get the ball to Moulds and Evans a decent amount and have McGahee run a bunch and have their talented defense hold off the opposition. Losing Takeo really hurts this team, but they still have a bunch of talent on both sides of the ball and I can't, nay, won't give up on them. That said, f*** the Jills. Hey Fritz, go f*** yourself. .
September 27, 200521 yr Detroit ahead of Chicago huh.. I could have swore we beat them by about 40 The special teams and D scored more than the O in that game if I remember correctly. That is more than a fluke if anything.
September 27, 200521 yr Detroit ahead of Chicago huh.. I could have swore we beat them by about 40 The special teams and D scored more than the O in that game if I remember correctly. That is more than a fluke if anything. Um... Chicago scored 3 offensive touchdowns in the game, 1 defensive touchdown and 1 special team touchdown. What the hell has Detroit done? They drafted a wide receiver, big deal. They needed a WR because now that Rogers is finally healthy, people are realizing that he sucks. Harrington makes Orton look like a polished vet. So why is Detroit ahead of Chicago? You could say the Detroit offense is better than Chicagos but the difference isn't even close to the difference between Chicagos defense and Detroit's, which is really big. I really don't give a sh*t because the Bears looked like ass last week, but there is no reasoning for Detroit to be ahead of Chicago (or anyone, except Green Bay). Put the Bears 30th, Detroit 31st and Green Bay 32nd for all I care. Fritz likes penis
September 28, 200521 yr Detroit ahead of Chicago huh.. I could have swore we beat them by about 40 The special teams and D scored more than the O in that game if I remember correctly. That is more than a fluke if anything. Um... Chicago scored 3 offensive touchdowns in the game, 1 defensive touchdown and 1 special team touchdown. What the hell has Detroit done? They drafted a wide receiver, big deal. They needed a WR because now that Rogers is finally healthy, people are realizing that he sucks. Harrington makes Orton look like a polished vet. So why is Detroit ahead of Chicago? You could say the Detroit offense is better than Chicagos but the difference isn't even close to the difference between Chicagos defense and Detroit's, which is really big. I really don't give a sh*t because the Bears looked like ass last week, but there is no reasoning for Detroit to be ahead of Chicago (or anyone, except Green Bay). Put the Bears 30th, Detroit 31st and Green Bay 32nd for all I care. Fritz likes penis Before this past week I would see your argument. But it looks like the Bears regressed a whole lot and I can see why the Lions are put ahead of them. It's just someone personal rankings, no need to have a hissy fit.
September 28, 200521 yr I'd basically agree with these. I like whoever said after the top ten it's REALLY hard because two pieces of feces in a bucket of water will seek their own level.
September 28, 200521 yr No hissy fit here.. just giving my opinion and giving fritz some crap. 2 points for the Fritz liking penis part, but what FLAVOR? :blink:
September 28, 200521 yr 20. Buffalo Bills - I'm a little frosted. I picked the Bills as my surprise team to go out and win 11 games and make the playoffs. I figured Losman had just enough talent to get the ball to Moulds and Evans a decent amount and have McGahee run a bunch and have their talented defense hold off the opposition. Losing Takeo really hurts this team, but they still have a bunch of talent on both sides of the ball and I can't, nay, won't give up on them. That said, f*** the Jills. Hey Fritz, go f*** yourself. . I actually agree with his statements about the Bills - beating a horrid Texans team at home doesn't get you anything, and losing to two good, but not great teams (one at home, as well), doesn't bode well for them in a tough AFC. Except for the last statement, I agreed with everything he said, and with what others said about it being nearly impossible to choose teams outside the top 10 or so.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.