108 yard FG Return in the Niners and Bears game

Accord

Did anyone see it?

The Niners were lined up to kick a 35 yard field goal, they kick the ball and all of a sudden a massive gust of wind makes the ball literally go sideways into the endzone where a Niners player (Vasher) caught it and ran it all the way back for a touchdown. It was a 108 yard field goal return and it's a new NFL record for longest play in the history of the sport.

It was crazy, definitely one of the top plays of all time, it was also pretty funny actually. Make sure you watch the highlights tonight....

Did anyone see it?

The Niners were lined up to kick a 35 yard field goal, they kick the ball and all of a sudden a massive gust of wind makes the ball literally go sideways into the endzone where a Niners player (Vashner) caught it and ran it all the way back for a touchdown. It was a 108 yard field goal return and it's a new NFL record for longest play in the history of the sport.

It was crazy, definitely one of the top plays of all time, it was also pretty funny actually. Make sure you watch the highlights tonight....

Couple things.

It was a 53 yard FG, a bears player returned it, and his name was Vasher.

Awesome play. I don't understand why teams don't try to return FGs more. Way to go, Bears!

Because FGs are rarely missed short, and unless it's the end of the half (or game), or you have a huge lane to run in, it isn't usually worth the risk...why take a chance at getting tackled at the 10 or 20 when you could get the ball spotted from where they kicked it?

Awesome play. I don't understand why teams don't try to return FGs more. Way to go, Bears!

Because FGs are rarely missed short, and unless it's the end of the half (or game), or you have a huge lane to run in, it isn't usually worth the risk...why take a chance at getting tackled at the 10 or 20 when you could get the ball spotted from where they kicked it?

Woops, totally overlooked the spot of the ball thing.

the play where the gust of wind took the ball was not this play.

damn you people need to pay more attention. this was simply a desperation field goal at end of half that was short. happened on mnf a couple years back for 107 i believe.

the wind still blew the ball a good 20 yards

Teams should 100% attempt to do this more if you think about it.

On the defensive side of the ball, you have big guys in the middle and a lot of fast, 4.3 and 4.4 guys on the edges trying to block the ball.

On the offensive side of the ball, you have a ton of slow, unathletic lineman, a kicker and usually backup QB trying to kick a FG.

Point is, if the ball comes up short, you have a few big blockers and a lot more fast, athletic guys trying to return a ball against what amounts to a group of the other teams most unathletic guys. Makes for a great chance for a big play.

the play where the gust of wind took the ball was not this play.

damn you people need to pay more attention. this was simply a desperation field goal at end of half that was short. happened on mnf a couple years back for 107 i believe.

the wind still blew the ball a good 20 yards

still not the play in question.

I love how Urlacher hits one block...goes out of the frame for a second and then out runs the guy with the ball to throw the last block, insane.

His 1st block, he runs interference on like 6 Niners, then comes and makes the last block on the run!

Good God he is a LB!!!!

Wow

I saw it, pretty good play. I knew the guy was going to get it once he came across the field.

And das is right, it didnt get blown far but it did a little. It was short and Vasher just caught it from what I recall.

Also, field goals rarely go short. Usually when they do, its by a bare margin and the ball just flies out of bounds. So whats the point of putting a guy there when he rarely will catch it. Only works when there is wind.

Man Chicago was ferociously windy that day too. Nothing like the wind feeling like its moving your car.