Al-Zarqawi May Be Among Dead in Iraq Fight

PBMarlin

Wow, great news if it confirms.

Al-Zarqawi May Be Among Dead in Iraq Fight

By ROBERT H. REID, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - U.S. forces sealed off a house in the northern city of Mosul where eight suspected al-Qaida members died in a gunfight ? some by their own hand to avoid capture. A U.S. official said Sunday that efforts were under way to determine if terror leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was among the dead.

In Washington, a U.S. official said the identities of the terror suspects killed in the Saturday raid was unknown. Asked if they could include al-Zarqawi, the official replied: "There are efforts under way to determine if he was killed."

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the information.

On Saturday, police Brig. Gen. Said Ahmed al-Jubouri said the raid was launched after a tip that top al-Qaida operatives, possibly including al-Zarqawi, were in the house in the northeastern part of the city.

During the intense gunbattle that followed, three insurgents detonated explosives and killed themselves to avoid capture, Iraqi officials said. Eleven Americans were wounded, the U.S. military said. Such intense resistance often suggests an attempt to defend a high-value target.

American soldiers controlled the site Sunday, and residents said helicopters flew over the area throughout the day. Some residents said the tight security was reminiscent of the July 2003 operation in which Saddam Hussein's sons, Odai and Qusai, were killed in Mosul.

The elusive al-Zarqawi has narrowly escaped capture in the past. U.S. forces said they nearly caught him in a February 2005 raid that recovered his computer.

In May, the group said he was wounded in fighting and was taken out of the country for treatment. Within days, it reported he had returned ? though there was never any independent confirmation that he was wounded.

Guest Moneyball

I don't know how they will be able to confirm this.

DNA on the remains. They likely already have it since they confiscated his computer, among other personal belongings.

Exactly. The body probably wasn't completely incinerated. There are probably Al-Zarqawi parts on the floor and walls.

I'd rather he be alive so they could get some intelligence from the bastard.

You think he would give up any?

Id be curious...

At the very least, we could hire some defense contractors to torture him.

I don't know how they will be able to confirm this.

Why not?

Only three blew themselves up, the others were killed in gunfire...but Im sure you just hope they wont be able to confirm this.

Terrorists living = no gain for the Right.

Of course, FutureGM has to be the naysayer..... :rolleyes:

This isn't a left/right issue, F_M, but comments like that are just sh*tty.

Uh, now they're saying it's doubtful....got everyone in an uproar for nothing?

White House Doubts al-Zarqawi Among Dead

By ROBERT H. REID, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - U.S. forces sealed off a house in the northern city of Mosul where eight suspected al-Qaida members died in a gunfight ? some by their own hand to avoid capture. The White House said Sunday that it was "highly unlikely" that the terror leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was among the dead.

You know, I had a strong feeling that people would believe I wanted him alive after I posted that. Well, I would prefer that he was dead. However, considering how many times there were reports of Bin Laden's demise that turned out to be untrue, I would much rather wait until there is actual evidence of his death before I get my hopes up.

You know, I had a strong feeling that people would believe I wanted him alive after I posted that. Well, I would prefer that he was dead. However, considering how many times there were reports of Bin Laden's demise that turned out to be untrue, I would much rather wait until there is actual evidence of his death before I get my hopes up.

New McCarthyism has gotten down to the masses. You terrorist LOVER!! :lol

comments like "I don't know how they will be able to confirm this?"

????

Did I stutter?

No. Just didn't make sense to me, which is why I asked. Where is the blatant anti-right stuff in there? Passion was the one who brought that whole left/right thing up.

If I had to guess what FutureGM would say about the subject, I'd have guessed he'd say something discrediting and pessimistic. That, as opposed to saying "Good, him being dead will help" or something along the lines. Whether or not he took a pessimistic POV because he's anti-everything-conservative, I don't know, but I wasn't proven wrong (or right for that matter)