Several teams pursuing Beckett

prinmemito

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...rlins_1121.html

Monday, November 21, 2005

The Texas Rangers remained optimistic Sunday that pitcher Josh Beckett would anchor their starting rotation next season. But a baseball source with knowledge of the negotiations said the Marlins won't trade their 2003 World Series hero without receiving a top pitching prospect from Texas.

The source also said there is a chance Beckett would remain with Florida in 2006 because the Marlins won't make any concessions in negotiations for their right-handed pitcher.

At least six teams are interested in Beckett, but the Rangers are one of four teams in serious pursuit of him, the source said, adding that there is another team that has presented Florida with a more attractive proposal than the one presented by Texas.

The source would not identify that team, only to characterize the Rangers as being second in the pack. One of the teams pursuing Beckett is the Boston Red Sox. The Detroit Tigers are thought to be another team in the Beckett hunt.

As of Sunday night, the Rangers felt they had "given it their best shot," according to an industry source, and were waiting to hear back from Florida.

On the table is a deal to send Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell to the Rangers for third baseman Hank Blalock. The original deal called for Texas to include either left-hander John Danks, the organization's first-round draft pick in 2003, or right-hander Thomas Diamond, the team's first-round pick in 2004.

The Rangers' front office is divided over whether to include either pitcher, but the Marlins could walk away from negotiations if they don't get one of them.

Florida also is telling teams that Lowell ? and the $18 million he is owed in the next two years ? must be included in any deal for Beckett.

We're setting up a bidding war. Good for the Marlins. If we're going to trade Beckett, we should expect a great deal. I think the Red Sox gave us the best offer.

Hanley Ramirez and Annibal Sanchez

-For-

Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell's Contract.

Pull the trigger.

I assume Lowell is going along with his contract :mischief2

As of Sunday night, the Rangers felt they had "given it their best shot," according to an industry source, and were waiting to hear back from Florida.

Wow stfu. The only reason they even have this opportunity is because we need to get rid of Lowell. Their best shot would probably include Texeira, Young, Soriano, etc...

Hanley Ramirez and Annibal Sanchez

-For-

Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell's Contract.

Pull the trigger.

Beinfest has wisely focused on pitching acquisitions in all of his drafts. At some point you have to convert top pitching talent into top position players for the strategy to work out. In this case he can get a stud SS along with a promising pitcher.

I agree. Take the deal.

Unless someone else ups the ante. :hat

I'm curious...since it seems this is the first time in a while that it's suggested that the Marlins realize what they have in Beckett and that we really aren't hell-bent on getting him out of town, it's more about getting rid of Lowell's contract, why not explore the Twins trade?

By all accounts the Twins are interested in Lowell, we'd have to eat some of the money, but we'd actually be getting something in return, and for a person who by all admissions has negative trade value, that's quite a coup. Consider this: in any proposed trade, Beckett would be the best player traded, but in the Twins scenario, the Marlins move Lowell (albeit not all of his contract) keep Beckett and get players in return that have value to the team either by staying or through trade, or can be non-tendered (Lohse) meaning that's really the best deal you can make. If it comes to it, make a secondary trade involving Pierre, and if necessary, another one involving LoDuca, and viola, the Marlins have attained payroll flexibility, while keeping their core (Beckett, Willis, Cabrera, Hermida) intact...

If it was up to me, yes of course I would wanna see what the twins would give in a trade for lowell. The padres need a 3B too badly so that is a possibility as well.

Lowell = Romero/lohse and eatting 3 million a year would be interesting to me.

Pierre = Rowand/marte interests me too.

If you could pull off those two trades right there it would help alot and be interesting. But, I doubt it.. I think you will end up with

Papelborn + Hanely for Lowell and Beckett and if so I think the Fish bite.

I don't think capozzi needs to eat crow. He broke the story that the fish were close to dealing beckett and that appears to be accurate. If something changes after the article (better offer or different players) he should not be responsible.

Don't shoot the messenger, this is not a vescey type dream trade.

Rangers sweeten the deal for Beckett

Texas offers Danks or Diamond in pitch

11:49 PM CST on Sunday, November 20, 2005

By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News

The Rangers are ready to make the necessary compromises in order to complete a deal to acquire potential ace right-hander Josh Beckett from Florida.

Now, it's up to Florida to make a decision.

While the Rangers, according to a club source, inched forward Sunday and agreed to include one of their top two pitching prospects along with third baseman Hank Blalock in a deal for Beckett and Mike Lowell, the Marlins were also considering an offer from Boston.

A major league source said the Marlins were weighing the two offers. The Rangers, according to a club source, hope to have the situation resolved by today. Otherwise, they will turn their attention back to free agency.

"It doesn't benefit anyone for me to comment on trade speculation," said Rangers GM Jon Daniels.

On Saturday, Rangers sources said if the team included left-hander John Danks, the club's top pick in 2003, a deal could be struck by the end of the weekend. The Rangers were not willing to go that far on Saturday, but had reconsidered Sunday. The Rangers are now willing to give Florida its choice of Danks or 2004 No. 1 pick Thomas Diamond.

The Red Sox are the lone remaining obstacle. Boston is reportedly offering shortstop prospect Hanley Ramirez and one of its own pitching prospects, either right-hander Anibal Sanchez or left-hander Jon Lester.

What is clear is that the Marlins want to shed serious amounts of payroll. Dealing Beckett, and especially Lowell, will help them accomplish that. Lowell is due $18 million over the next two years. Beckett, who is eligible for salary arbitration, is expected to make about $4 million in 2006.

Who ends up with Beckett could in large part depend on just how drastically the Marlins want to reduce payroll. Blalock, 25, will make $3 million in 2006 and another $10 million over the next two seasons. That would be a large commitment for the Marlins to undertake ? if they don't turn around and trade Blalock for more young players. Under that scenario, Florida could potentially realize more return from dealing with the Rangers than with Boston.

The advantage for Florida of dealing with Boston is in cost. Ramirez, who turns 22 in December, would make only the major league minimum ($316,000) in 2006 and would allow the Marlins to fill a hole created by the free agency departure of Alex Gonzalez. Boston, however, could up the ante by including more in the deal. The Red Sox's biggest shortcoming in failing to return to the World Series was a lack of starting pitching.

For the Rangers, the lure is Beckett, plain and simple. The Rangers have long sought an ace-type pitcher in free agency and have come away empty. They also came up short in trade talks with Toronto about Roger Clemens before the 1999 season. The Yankees ended up with Clemens.

Beckett, 25, has already pitched like an ace in the 2003 postseason, when he compiled a 2.11 ERA in 42 2/3 innings and shut out the New York Yankees in Game 6 of the World Series to win the World Series MVP.

He has not, however, had a true breakout season. He went 15-8 in 2005, but it was the first time in his career he's won more than nine games. He has not yet reached 30 starts or 180 innings in a season. And he's been on the DL, mostly with blister problems, seven times in the last four seasons.

He comes with risk. All pitchers do. But the Rangers feel like they may be about to acquire the kind of pitcher whose rewards far outweigh the risks involved.

btw, i get the impression this new offer is not the red sox. They don't even have a gm. They may have said wait for us we have serious interest but to think they put a player package together might be a reach.

I think this team may surprise some people. Remember whoever deals for him will get him for two years before he could leave. Some thoughts would be detroit which was mentioned. The White sox, dodgers and the blue jays come to mind as well.

Why rush things?

I have so many differing opinions on trading Beckett the longer this takes the better for the Fish I suspect.

I don't like the Red Sox offer at all, although I can see him winding up there. And the Rangers offer doesn't do much for me unless we have a deal inhand for Blalock for an established major league pitcher.

And I guess in the end, yes I'll say it, blisters and shoulders and all, I'd still like to see Beckett remain a Fish.

The more I read about Hanley Ramirez, the more I'm hesitant to trade for him.

He's a hell of a talent, and we're talking about a 5 tool talent on the infield, but he's apparently pretty troubled. He has motivation issues, he's got a mouth, and he's reportedly already either verbal assaulted or given the finger to a bunch of fans (heck, maybe both). I'm not saying this diminishes his trade value, because I know just about any team that doesn't already have a short-stop would be lining up to get him, but we've already got one moody brooding super-star that's seemingly divided the club-house, so do we really want Hanley and Cabrera as the chips we build around? The last thing you want are two players with attitudes and motivation problems as two of the best position players on a rebuilding team. Attitudes like that get contagious when things aren't going well, which invariably happens to a rebuilding club.

I like Hanley, I'll be the first to tell you he's a multiple all-star in the making, but I have real concerns as to how much a combination of he and Cabrera can hurt the franchise in the clubhouse. I mean, you want to talk about something scary, if all these trades go down, Cabrera will be the clubhouse leader.

The more I read about Hanley Ramirez, the more I'm hesitant to trade for him.

He's a hell of a talent, and we're talking about a 5 tool talent on the infield, but he's apparently pretty troubled. He has motivation issues, he's got a mouth, and he's reportedly already either verbal assaulted or given the finger to a bunch of fans (heck, maybe both). I'm not saying this diminishes his trade value, because I know just about any team that doesn't already have a short-stop would be lining up to get him, but we've already got one moody brooding super-star that's seemingly divided the club-house, so do we really want Hanley and Cabrera as the chips we build around? The last thing you want are two players with attitudes and motivation problems as two of the best position players on a rebuilding team. Attitudes like that get contagious when things aren't going well, which invariably happens to a rebuilding club.

From a Red Sox perspective, these concerns have all but completely evaporated. When he was 18 or 19, he had an isolated incident. But over the last two years, he has shown himself to be nothing but a consumate professional in Sarasota and Portland. He endeared himself so much in Portland, he practically didn't want to leave (which was also evident by his OPS). Seriously though, if you acquire Hanley, the only thing you will have to worry about is him ironing out the hitch in his swing. He could win a GG right now, and he lights up a room with his smile. :D

If anyone's interested, here's the BA report on him from about a month ago, he was the #3 prospect in the Eastern League behind Francisco Liriano and Lastings Milledge.

3. HANLEY RAMIREZ, ss, Portland Sea Dogs (Red Sox)

Age: 21 Ht: 6-3 Wt: 195 B-T: R-R Drafted/Signed: Red Sox FA '00 (Dominican Republic)

Ramirez' tools are similar to Milledge's, and he also matured this season. His bat isn?t quite as advanced, however, because he struggles with the rhythm of his swing, restricting his ability to center balls on the bat. At times his front foot doesn?t get back to the ground quickly enough, disrupting his timing.

Once he corrects that flaw, he should become an all-star shortstop in the majors?though his immediate path in Boston is blocked by Edgar Renteria. Ramirez possesses excellent bat speed and strong wrists, and when he's right, balls jump off his bat and have carry to all fields.

His defense is spectacular, as Ramirez has above-average range, plus-plus arm strength and soft hands. He also has plus speed. He has cleaned up a reputation for immaturity that dogged him in the lower minors, though some scouts think he still plays with excessive flash.

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG

465 66 126 21 7 6 52 39 62 26 13 .271 .335 .385

Not sparkling numbers, but the tools are there.

Even though the deal kind of sucks, we got the Rangers to crack in about 2 days.... probably because of interest from other teams. They showed their cards pretty early, just like they did with Delgado.

Hopefully this is the start of a bidding war, if anything.