The Gathright Thread

Iowa

I know some people believe he is overrated and just a poor man's JP.. and I agree.

BUT, I really really want him to come here. He would fill an obvious hole on defense and in the lineup.. and I would love to see if could produce with everday AB's.

I look at this potential lineup, and I get excited:

Anyway, I figure there could be a lot of talk about him in the next few days so we might as well start a thread.

Here's a snippet from the St. Petersburg Times:

The market for centerfielder Joey Gathright is expected to pick up now that Florida has traded Juan Pierre to the Cubs, with the Marlins likely to be a prime suitor.

The question is, the DRay's are probably asking for the next coming of Babe Ruth in return.. so it will be interesting to see who they want.

I want him for the right price.

If we give up any of our 6 main pitching prospects (Sanchez, Petit, Hernandez, Volstad, Olsen, Johnson) for him I will be disappointed.

If we don't, I'm all for it.

I would guess if you only have to give up one of your list (and I'd add Bowyer in there too) plus another prospect, we'd end the day feeling Beinfest was doing his job.

from today's Herald:

Beinfest, who said the team will address needs at second base, center field and in the bullpen through trades or ''reasonable free agents,'' is reportedly in discussions with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays on a deal that would bring speedy center fielder Joey Gathright to the Marlins in exchange for some of the pitching prospects the team has stockpiled in the past two weeks.

The Devil Rays were supposed to receive Boston minor-leaguer Anibal Sanchez and Mets farmhand Yusmeiro Petit at last summer's trade deadline before a complicated three-way deal that would have sent Manny Ramirez from the Red Sox to New York fell apart. Sanchez and Petit are now both with the Marlins.

No way you give up Petit. Even Sanchez seems pretty steep.... but we'll see. Gotta give to get.

I would give up Johnson. With Olsen, Petit and Sanchez almost sure to be in our rotation next year along with D Train and Vargas/Nolasco (?), then Johnson is expendable.

I think Johnson has a slightly better shot than Petit at being a part of the rotation once the the season starts, but we will see. The walks were troublesome when Johnson was called up last season, I'll admit. But I was at the game that Johnson started against Atlanta last season and I liked what I saw.

I don't know what the "Vargas/Nolasco (?)" is all about, but Nolasco will not be taking Vargas' spot in the rotation. His position is all but assured given what we have, and definitely a safer bet than Olsen, Petit or Sanchez making the rotation.

To bring it back to Gathright:

The Marlins' fire sale continued with their trade of center fielder Juan Pierre to the Cubs, heating up negotiations to land Rays center fielder Joey Gathright as his successor. The Marlins have a bevy of young pitching prospects who would be desirable to the Rays. Gathright has been a popular player all week, with a dozen teams expressing interest in the speedy center fielder.

"He's an exciting young player," new Marlins manager Joe Girardi said of Gathright. "He has the opportunity to do some good things. He has tremendous upside potential. He's still learning things, but then, aren't we all."

Source -- http://www.tampatribune.com/Sports/MGBMG02LYGE.html

I would give up Johnson. With Olsen, Petit and Sanchez almost sure to be in our rotation next year along with D Train and Vargas/Nolasco (?), then Johnson is expendable.

I think Johnson has a slightly better shot than Petit at being a part of the rotation once the the season starts, but we will see. The walks were troublesome when Johnson was called up last season, I'll admit. But I was at the game that Johnson started against Atlanta last season and I liked what I saw.

I don't know what the "Vargas/Nolasco (?)" is all about, but Nolasco will not be taking Vargas' spot in the rotation. His position is all but assured given what we have, and definitely a safer bet than Olsen, Petit or Sanchez making the rotation.

How can you possible know if Nolasco won't start in 2007? I think you misunderstood what I meant--I'm talking about '07. Johnson will be expendable by then, unless he really comes on strong and one of our prospects really comes up short.

How can you possible know if Nolasco won't start in 2007? I think you misunderstood what I meant--I'm talking about '07. Johnson will be expendable by then, unless he really comes on strong and one of our prospects really comes up short.

My mistake. When you wrote next year, I thought you meant the 2006 season. I won't even speculate about 2007 at this point with trades still in the offing and the questions about the future of the Marlins here or somewhere else to be settled.

I'm not sold on him, and the price does figure to be enormous (and you know someone will pay it for a guy who's as toolsy and young as he is).

However, if we can find a way to get him without giving up Sanchez, Petit, Olsen, Volstad, Johnson or I guess Bowyer (since someone's gotta close) I'm fine with it.

Given yesterday's Moehler signing, I'm assuming that Mitre is expendable...

I would NOT give up Sanchez. He is a number 1 potential pitcher and really a better spec then Hanely even.

I would give up pettit 20 times over before Sanchez. His stuff isnt close to sanchez despite his control.

I think we can get gathright for something else though some of the youngins like Thompson or winters. I would love you send them pinto and something for him.

We shall see I guess. But we need just a CF and we should be mostly set with a few FA signings.

I'm not sold on him, and the price does figure to be enormous (and you know someone will pay it for a guy who's as toolsy and young as he is).

However, if we can find a way to get him without giving up Sanchez, Petit, Olsen, Volstad, Johnson or I guess Bowyer (since someone's gotta close) I'm fine with it.

agreed and mitre could easily be good trade bait for them perhaps packaged with something.

This guy has no power what so ever like Pierre and maybe alittle better arm but not by much. I was looking foward to someone with more pop and a good arm like Aguila. Trust me if we acquire Garthright we are gonna overpay. For christ sake they didn't trade Julio Lugo for Andy Marte.

I don't see where Gathright is said to be a good defender.

Me neither. He's just a speed guy. If he walked more I'd be a little higher on him.

Wonder if they'd take Mitre & Pinto...

Seriously I would be fine with starting Chris Aguila out there. Aguila can steal some bases, has a little pop, and plays solid defense.

I would NOT give up Sanchez. He is a number 1 potential pitcher and really a better spec then Hanely even.

I would give up pettit 20 times over before Sanchez. His stuff isnt close to sanchez despite his control.

I think we can get gathright for something else though some of the youngins like Thompson or winters. I would love you send them pinto and something for him.

We shall see I guess. But we need just a CF and we should be mostly set with a few FA signings.

agreed and mitre could easily be good trade bait for them perhaps packaged with something.

Thompson, West, Voldstad, Tucker, Winters, Marceaux or anybody taken in the 2005 draft can't be traded. Only as PTBNL but thats highly unlikely cause they will have to pitch have the season with us and then be sent over there to complete the trade. Just say no. Gut feeling he cost more than what the Cubs paid for Pierre

I don't see where Gathright is said to be a good defender.

Me neither. He's just a speed guy. If he walked more I'd be a little higher on him.

Wonder if they'd take Mitre & Pinto...

I was thinking that, maybe maybe throw in one other player to sweeten it a bit more, but that should be the higest we go for a guy who is (by all accounts) a bad bunter, a decent OBP guy and a questionable defender (heck, for that matter, he's also their 4th outfielder). At least with Pierre, you're getting hands-down the best bunter in baseball...

Seriously I would be fine with starting Chris Aguila out there. Aguila can steal some bases, has a little pop, and plays solid defense.

I'd like to give him the chance. Then get a guy with big hitting potential for LF.

Although if we're playing for the future, you want to compile as many middle of the field hitters as you can. Maybe I just harbor some hope that this team can do something this year, and we'd be better suited with Aguila in CF and a big hitter in LF. Replacement level LFers being better hitters than replacement level CFers and all.

According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox will pay about $11 million of the $29 million that Edgar Renteria is still owed in order to get Andy Marte.

It's worth it. Marte is that good of a prospect, clearly the best that the Red Sox have had in several years. The Red Sox have told the Braves that they will keep the third baseman.

He's so good the Red Sox are paying 11 million dollars of Renteria contract for him. Yet the D-rays don't think he is enough compensation for Julio Lugo. Again just pass on Garthright