The Gathright Thread

Iowa

Although if we're playing for the future, you want to compile as many middle of the field hitters as you can. Maybe I just harbor some hope that this team can do something this year, and we'd be better suited with Aguila in CF and a big hitter in LF. Replacement level LFers being better hitters than replacement level CFers and all.

Completely agree. Build up the middle, outfield corners are easy (or easier) to plug.

How would all of you feel if we trade Olsen for Gathright?

Fine with me.

You can never have too much pitching, but we are beyond that philosophy.

Even without Olsen, we still have Petit, Sanchez, Vargas, Willis, Mitre, Nolasco and Johnson--all who will be ready now or at least before '07.

Fine with me.

Even without Olsen, we still have Petit, Sanchez, Vargas, Willis, Mitre, Nolasco and Johnson--all who will be ready now or at least before '07.

Hmmm. It's a stretch to say Willis will be ready before '07. :p

Fine with me.

Sanchez, Olsen, and a healthy Allison are the only guys in our farm system who have dominated in the minors and have #1 and #2 potential. Petit, Vargas, Johnson, Nolasco only have #3 potential.(Johnson maybe more cause of frame) and Mitre a 5.

While Gathright is still a prospect as well more than 2 years older than Olsen, with no power, and a belowe average arm. But I guess we can only agree to disagree.

Fine with me.

Hmmm. It's a stretch to say Willis will be ready before '07. :p

:mischief

just a blurb from baseballprospectus

The Devil Rays? Joey Gathright did much better replacing him in the Lions' outfield (.305/.365/.347, 20 runs and 9 steals in 22 games) but was released due to disciplinary reasons about ten days ago. Apparently Gathright wasn?t very enthusiastic about the idea of playing in the Dominican Republic, and came to the league at the Rays' request

Yea, I'm really high on Olsen. I think trading him for Gathright would be unacceptable.

I know they've had a small interest in Mitre in the past.. I wonder if trading him and a midlevel prospect would do it? I highly doubt it though.. just seeing them turn down Marte for Lugo is one thing.. then asking Carlos Zambrano for Daenys Baez at last years trade deadline just makes me really skeptical about this whole situation.

Who would you and who wouldn't you trade of our pitching prospects for Gathright?

I know we have a ton of pitching.

But, to trade one of these elite prospects for a guy who many scouts say "could be the next Juan Pierre or could be the next Jason Tyner" doesn't do it for me.

If we're gonna trade one of those guys, look for someone with more upside.

Gathright seasonal average per 162 games below:

.271BA .316OBA 44SB 68RS

.276BA .326OBA 57SB 96RS

Pierre 2005 season above.

None of us liked what Pierre did for us last season and his stats are better than Gathright. Gathright has upside and I'd like him...but we can't give up too much.

Money aside would you give up Olsen for Pierre? The Cubs didnt. So why would we give up Olsen for Joey.

No thanks!