A Philosophical Question

Das Texan

Yeah, it can be better as a student just to have the letter without the +/- part, but it's also a much less accurate indicator of performance and is probably unfair.

If I receive an 89 in a class, and another kid receives an 80, I think I deserve a higher GPA because my work was significantly superior, and I'd be pissed that the other kid gets the grade points as me, because it could hurt when comparing GPA for things like grad school, jobs, etc.

Yeah, it can be better as a student just to have the letter without the +/- part, but it's also a much less accurate indicator of performance and is probably unfair.

If I receive an 89 in a class, and another kid receives an 80, I think I deserve a higher GPA because my work was significantly superior, and I'd be pissed that the other kid gets the grade points as me, because it could hurt when comparing GPA for things like grad school, jobs, etc.

I could care less what the other kid gets!

As long as I get the grade I feel I deserve.

And if it bothers you so much, the next time do 80 quality work so you get a fair treatment.

and after your first job and all GPA means nothing.

just saying.

There are benefits to both.

I'd love to get more credit for an 88 than I would for an 80 on one hand.

But on the other, I love my current strategy of going as high as possible and then being able to let it drop 7-8 points come finals time. Takes the pressure off of what is a poor system anyway. No one will ever be able to convince me that having something like 40% of your grade come from one test after 15 weeks of assignments and such is actually intelligent.

Luckily, the majority of the classes at my university seem to get that.

and after your first job and all GPA means nothing.

just saying.

Absolutely true, but that doesn't make the system any more fair

I could care less what the other kid gets!

As long as I get the grade I feel I deserve.

And if it bothers you so much, the next time do 80 quality work so you get a fair treatment.

If we're talking about fairness, an 89 generally doesn't indicate the same level of performance as an 80. That's my point - the other part was just an example of a problem I would have if the letters based system was implemented at my college